Subject: Why Such a Big Box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Why does this game have such an oversized box? There is no reason for it to be much larger than the dimensions of the folded board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the big box is a bother and a nuisance. For me, it hurts because of storage and shipping. But I have long wanted to publish a game in Germany, and when Ludopact of Germany made me a fair offer on the game, I accepted. The offer was that the entire game be packaged and shrink wrapped in Germany, in a manner and box size of their choosing. Perhaps they had a surplus of such boxes, I am not sure, but I trusted a German company to be able to put out a quality product, and other than this quizzical feature, Ludopact did a great job.

That being said, I will certainly pay more attention next time to this aspect. To make use of that empty spapce inside the box, I have started to sell my games Origins and American Megafauna (another game with disappointing packaging) together in the same Origins box, using a sticker to show that one is buying two games for one. I offer this bundle for a considerable discount at my website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, yeah, I just got the game and was wondering the same thing! It could have been a rather small game, but like Phil said, looks like the printer must have had a surplus of these boxes or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Saya
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The overly big box bothered me too until I realized that in addition to Origins it can easily house Luftschiff and Lords of the Spanish Main, two of Phil's boxless games. I'm tempted to squeeze American Megafauna in there too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I Just got my copy today. I was going to make a post claiming the box is ridiculuously oversized. I see someone beat me to it. Expansions would be the only way I would forgive such a big box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McBeth
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, making it my Sierra Madre box is actually a good idea. That box is big enough, I could probably fit my Fat Messiah Games in there too (currently stored in their RoboTanks box).

I had actually been looking at getting some of those magazine counter trays from Against the Odds, but they want to sell them in big lots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Haslehurst
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering about getting a smaller box from a craft store and pasting on some graphics from the original game box. We're about to move to a smaller house so storage space is an issue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.