Subject: Question about the "Hot Games" section rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the "Hot Games" really "hot"? I only ask because I saw a thread about the ratings. I also wonder by looking at some of the titles if these games are really hot. I'd like to get one, learn it, and demo it, but I don't want to get the wrong thing because the ratings are off a bit (for whatever reason).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
My feeling is that the "Hot Games" section is controlled by how many "hits" the respective game pages get. Games that are currently popular gravitate toward the top, but the list seems fairly susceptible to situations where there is a lot of traffic on a bad game site just because it was mentioned in a highly visible Geeklist, Review, or Forum post.

A good place to look for games that the users of this site rate the highest is under the "Games" tab at the top of the screen. I'll leave it to others to sort out whether these are really the best games, but I am of the opinion that the top 30 or so are all pretty solid games.

Welcome, and I'm glad you like games.
-Darin

Edit: Sorry if you already knew some of this -- I assumed you were new to the site, but then I noticed your fairly extensive game ratings and want list (not to mention your avatar). Anyway, here's hoping you find some more games that you like!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the Hot Games are just based on page views and have nothing to do with ratings. It's just representative of which game pages are seeing a lot of action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hot" games are indeed based on the hit count of their web page. Thus, if somebody committed a horrible murder with a copy of "Sheepdip Splendour" and that murder was all over the news, you'd probably see that particular game soar to the top of the "hot games" list as everybdoy clicked to find out what the game was all about.

What is interesting is how some games will stay on the "hot games" list for ages and ages, showing that a lot of traffic is being maintained over a long period of time. I sometimes wish there was a way to chart that, and find out what games have remained in the public eye (and on the public mouse-click) for a long period of time.

What we're interested in can often be a useful thing to know, if it can hold our interest, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
Are the "Hot Games" really "hot"? I only ask because I saw a thread about the ratings. I also wonder by looking at some of the titles if these games are really hot. I'd like to get one, learn it, and demo it, but I don't want to get the wrong thing because the ratings are off a bit (for whatever reason).

As others have said, these are just the "most clicked" at the moment.

You might want to start here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=game&sortb...

if you're looking for best-ranked games.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.