France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just acquired the first edition of Silverton. I tried the rules (basic ones) on a solitaire game, and I have a few questions about the rules...

First : Is it possible to build a purple track in winter ? No train will use it this turn, but it appears it can be built under the snow.

Second : Is it possible to buy a Claim / Passenger without having the track entirely built there yet ?
Too this I would think :
- For Claim cards : Yes. And it can begin to produce freight while finishing the line.
- For Passenger cards : No. The cost may not be sure yet since it uses the distance. And since this occurs before building the track in the phases order, we can't do it on the same turn the track would be finished. The track must be complete on the beginning of the turn in order to ask for a Passenger card.

Third : The very first roll to produce freight seems to be a regular one, without any modifier. I had several Claim cards ending depleted without having never produced any freight (2 gold, 1 silver and 1 lumber). I found a review of the game on the net saying that there are some modifiers on the first roll to diminish the chances of this from happening, but I guess it must be from the second edition. How does it work ?

Fourth : The four Leadville depletions. Do we count the depletions occurring before the card is brought into play ? I guess yes.

Thank you,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I don't have the rules in front of me, so I'm basing my answers on how we play, which may or may not be strictly according to the rules.

Duncan wrote:

I just acquired the first edition of Silverton. I tried the rules (basic ones) on a solitaire game, and I have a few questions about the rules...

First : Is it possible to build a purple track in winter ? No train will use it this turn, but it appears it can be built under the snow.

On the second edition map these are white (snow) tracks. Neither can trains run nor track be built.

Duncan wrote:

Second : Is it possible to buy a Claim / Passenger without having the track entirely built there yet ?
Too this I would think :
- For Claim cards : Yes. And it can begin to produce freight while finishing the line.
- For Passenger cards : No. The cost may not be sure yet since it uses the distance. And since this occurs before building the track in the phases order, we can't do it on the same turn the track would be finished. The track must be complete on the beginning of the turn in order to ask for a Passenger card.

We play it the same way.

Duncan wrote:

Third : The very first roll to produce freight seems to be a regular one, without any modifier. I had several Claim cards ending depleted without having never produced any freight (2 gold, 1 silver and 1 lumber). I found a review of the game on the net saying that there are some modifiers on the first roll to diminish the chances of this from happening, but I guess it must be from the second edition. How does it work ?

We play it where the first claim production is a single die roll + 6. Some claims still have a chance to deplete on the first roll but the chance is greatly diminished.

Duncan wrote:

Fourth : The four Leadville depletions. Do we count the depletions occurring before the card is brought into play ? I guess yes.

We don't. Only after the card is in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I'm basing my answers on the rulebook.

Duncan wrote:
Hello,

You are not permitted to build track on snow routes in winter turns. In the advanced game, you can use snow plowss to attempt to clear snow routes so that your trains may use them. But you may never build on snow routes in the winter.

Quote:

Claims - yes

Passenger routes - NO, you are not allowed to claim (purchase) passenger routes until you have connected both cities on the route.

Quote:

Third : The very first roll to produce freight seems to be a regular one, without any modifier.

The first time a claim produces roll *one* die and add 6 to it. Thus it will always yield a total of 7 or more.

Quote:

Yes, count all depletions, even those that occur before the passenger route is claimed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k has it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all this. This is nice to find answers so fast about such an old game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another modification that we make (which I believe was inspired by citizenk); when a claim or piece of track is contested, instead of rolling to see who gets it we put it up for auction between the contesting players. The auction rules are:

1 Auction order is turn order

2 The only players that may participate are those that have placed a prospector/surveyor on the contested item.

3 The first bid must be $10 over the base price

4 Bid increments must be $10

5 If you pass on a bid, you can jump back into the bidding as long as the auction hasn't finished.

6 Placing a +1/+2 prospector/surveyor counts as a $10/$20 credit toward the purchase price.

Personally, I prefer the auction mechanism. Somehow, it seems to capture the spirit of the conflicts between the railroads (such as the Royal Gorge conflict between AT&SF and D&RG) more than a die roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duncan wrote:
Thank you for all this. This is nice to find answers so fast about such an old game

Even though it's an old game (that I have only recently discovered) I have to say that I think it is one of the best train games out there. Of course, being from New Mexico I think part of my love for the game is that it's pretty cool to see many of the towns/villages that I know in the game (and accurately represented).

When I first saw the board I was amazed to see Capitan, White Oaks, Carrizozo, etc. there (my great grandfather homesteaded near Capitan).

And Mogollon (which has a rather eerie ambiance), Pinos Altos... the list goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.