Popular Tags: [View All]
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm having trouble locating this rule...and it's killing me.

When a card causes a monster to "appear" .. does that monster stay and count twds the monster limit in Arkham?

I thought there was some bit somewhere that if you even evaded such a monster, it would return to the cup.

I guess I may be answering my own question here but...if this monster appears due to a location encounter, then there will be an investigator to either evade it (rtn to cup) or kill it (claim trophy).

What if the monster kills the investigator in that case...the investigator goes to St. Mary's / or asylum respectively)...does the monster stay in play and add to the Monster limit?

thx in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Berry
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After you resolve the encounter either evading it, or going insane or knocked out then the monster is returned to the cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If a monster appears due to an encounter, he only stays to battle the investigator having the encounter. If he is defeated or evaded, he goes back into the cup. I'll look up the page in a minute.

EDIT:
Page 22 of the 2nd edition rules:

MONSTERS IN ENCOUNTERS
Many location and Other World encounters indicate that
a monster appears. To resolve such an encounter, the
player must draw a monster from the monster cup and
resolve the encounter as normal (i.e., the investigator
may attempt to evade the monster or fight it). No matter
how the encounter is resolved, the monster is never left
on the board. The monster is returned to the monster
cup, regardless of whether the investigator evades or
defeats the monster, or is knocked unconscious or driven
insane by it.

Note in the 2nd edition, the very next paragraph contradicts this statement. But an FAQ answer noted this 2nd paragraph was incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
aha!

thx so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
If he is defeated or evaded, he goes back into the cup. [...]

This is not correct, according to the FAQ

Monsters in Encounters wrote:
[...] If such a monster is defeated, players may take it as a trophy (unless its special ability states otherwise).[...]

EDIT: After looking at the revised rules and the original rules, it appears that they took the old text (cited by ColtsFan76) as a first paragraph and simply added the FAQ text as a second paragraph (this is where the part I cited comes from). Therefore the second paragraph should be true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.