Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

I had a steak tonight and tho there was absolutely nothing wrong with how it was prepared I kinda hated it. I love shrimp, and fish n' chips, and most of all, sushi, and I am wondering if I lose anything vital from my diet if I quit all non-seafood meats.

Quitting smoking a while ago helped my health but that depends on me staying on nicotine patches, and I want to continue towards staying of the smokes. Do the beef and chicken fats and artificial hormones hurt other health efforts like quitting smoking? And what about this non disclosed clone supply threatened by clone farmers? They dont have to tell us what is cloned food and what isn't.

I absolutely wouldn't quit fowl and beef if it would hurt my health so I ask for advice.

Thank you for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering how many vegetarians don't eat beef, fowl, or seafood, and seem at least as healthy, I don't imagine there's a problem. Meat primarily provides protein, but there are tons of other sources, and I'm sure seafood qualifies.

How it would interact with attempts at quitting smoking (congratulations, by the way) is something I'd never considered and do not know about.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't see anything wrong with seafood as your main protein source, but remember that most seafood is loaded with sodium. Other than that, you should be fine. (Oh, and I don't care what anyone tells you: COOK the seafood!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Can't see anything wrong with seafood as your main protein source, but remember that most seafood is loaded with sodium. Other than that, you should be fine. (Oh, and I don't care what anyone tells you: COOK the seafood!)

Heha. I have no problem with salt ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There can also be problems with mercury levels in some types of fish.

Something to also be aware of is that not all fish are sustainable. Its better to eat line caught fish because the fishing method is less environmentally harmful and you should avoid eating over fished species like cod.

This is mostly aimed at the UK, but I'm sure detailed information for your area is available.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/dec/17/fishing.co...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware of mercury levels, yes.

And also be aware of the various types. Salmon, swordfish and tuna each have radically different nutrients.

Eating a good variety will provide a balanced diet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are countries that eat a mostly seafood diet, eating other meats once or twice a week. I'm no nutritionist, but check with one just to make sure that you are getting all the proteins you need. There aren't a lot of vitamins in any type of meat so I wouldn't worry about that too much. As long as you have a balanced diet as said above, you shouldn't have any problems.

Mercury levels/red tide is the major thing you need to worry about. Tuna has the most mercury in it and I think I remember hearing that people shouldn't eat tuna more than 3 times a week.

Overall, just eat what you like to eat. A bad diet/lifestyle is one that you don't like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:
Hey there,

I had a steak tonight and tho there was absolutely nothing wrong with how it was prepared I kinda hated it. I love shrimp, and fish n' chips, and most of all, sushi, and I am wondering if I lose anything vital from my diet if I quit all non-seafood meats.

Quitting smoking a while ago helped my health but that depends on me staying on nicotine patches, and I want to continue towards staying of the smokes. Do the beef and chicken fats and artificial hormones hurt other health efforts like quitting smoking? And what about this non disclosed clone supply threatened by clone farmers? They dont have to tell us what is cloned food and what isn't.

I absolutely wouldn't quit fowl and beef if it would hurt my health so I ask for advice.

Thank you for your time.

Del!! You are you again!! >whew<

I eat very little red meat. Mainly fowl - chicken and turkey. I am not a big fish person - don't care for it. I think have a relatively balanced diet is the key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially commonly available red meat is high cholesterol, so minimizing it is a good idea. (Uncommon meat like rabbit, buffalo, or game can be a bit lower.) Fowl isn't bad in that respect. Fish is healthy, but some has relatively high mercury content. The mercury shouldn't be a problem unless you're pregnant or you eat fish exclusively. A problem is that it's tough to know which fish has high mercury content: the temptation is to look at "farmed" fish and think the conditions are so controlled mercury can't be a problem; however the opposite is often the case, the farms being in ponds or estuaries fouled by industrial runoff. I would (and do) eat fish freely, but not exclusively. Even in Canada most fish may be frozen, either to ship it from the fish farm or to preserve it during an extended fishing voyage: unless you catch it yourself, expect that any fish pretending to be fresh has actually been frozen at some point--better to just leave it frozen.

While that covers the basic meat, fish and chips and a lot of shrimp are deep fat fried, in goodness knows what kind of fat. So these aren't especially healthy.

Sushi, by the way, is rice wrapped in seaweed. It usually has a variable something in addition, often sashimi (raw fish). I don't tend to eat sashimi, and I avoid mass market sashimi. The problem is that unless the sashimi is prepared and transported perfectly, it can be dangerous. Yes, you can probably survive food poisoning if you're in good health, but it's not ideal. If you really like it, go to a reputable Japanese restaurant.

As far as I know, none of this should have any effect on your smoking cessation effort. Good luck with that! That is the best thing you can do for your health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/download.asp

Gives a localized list of which fish are most sustainable. There are also lists that go much more in depth as to safe frequencies (due to mercury and other toxins), but I can't seem to find them with a brief search.

All in all you'll probably be much better off than red meat eaters. Less cholesterol and many of the omega fats in fish (not shellfish) are very good for you according to my doctor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Can't go wrong with bacon.

That's right, and no matter what anybody says, don't cook it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

Sushi, by the way, is rice wrapped in seaweed. It usually has a variable something in addition, often sashimi (raw fish). I don't tend to eat sashimi, and I avoid mass market sashimi. The problem is that unless the sashimi is prepared and transported perfectly, it can be dangerous. Yes, you can probably survive food poisoning if you're in good health, but it's not ideal. If you really like it, go to a reputable Japanese restaurant.

You're going to need to cite some sources here, since that's not what Sushi is, or ever was. I don't need to cite any sources, because the collective wisdom of humanity resides in Wikipedia, and they'll back me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say the same thing, but thought it needlessly contrarian. Cranky to the rescue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
You're going to need to cite some sources here, since that's not what Sushi is, or ever was. I don't need to cite any sources, because the collective wisdom of humanity resides in Wikipedia, and they'll back me up.

Sure, but you also might want to read Wikipedia more carefully:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=sus...
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/sushi?view=uk
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=80325&dict=CA...
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Sushi
...and...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi
Wikipedia wrote:
In Japanese cuisine, sushi (寿司, 鮨, 鮓, sushi?) is a food made of vinegared rice, usually topped with other ingredients including fish (cooked or uncooked) and vegetables. Outside of Japan, sushi is sometimes misunderstood to mean the raw fish by itself, or even any fresh raw-seafood dishes. [ 1 ] In Japan, sliced raw fish alone is called sashimi and is distinct from sushi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt, none of those definitions say that sushi is rice wrapped in seaweed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a multivitamin, eat your veggies and fruits. Make half of your grains whole. Try not to drink too many calorie containing drinks, and you'll come out just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Walt, none of those definitions say that sushi is rice wrapped in seaweed.

Thanks for the correction!

You're right: like sashimi, the seaweed is common but not required; it's the common wrapping in a sushi roll. I was (over-)focused on the usual confusion between sushi and sashimi. But I have to say, I can't recall any sushi not wrapped in seaweed, even in Japan; but I'm sure other things than seaweed are used to bind sushi--perhaps I encountered it but wrote it off as a different variety of seaweed or the item as not-quite-sushi.

But also, I'm not sure about just vinegared rice being legit (without something else). Rice has been the mainstay of Japanese nutrition for all of their history: I was told to never salt or put soy sauce or anything else on my rice, as that would be disrespectful. However, it is usual to tap whatever you have in your chopsticks on your rice to prevent drips.

By chance, I just caught an article on tests on NY "sushi" (sashimi) that found all (almost?) was above federal safety limits for mercury. Probably eating the amount of sashimi in sushi would be ok, but.... No, the levels in tuna sushi (but not canned tuna) are extremely high:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/dining/23sushi.html
(Free subscription.)

"The city has warned women who are pregnant or breast-feeding and children not to eat fresh tuna, Chilean sea bass, swordfish, shark, grouper and other kinds of fish it describes as “too high in mercury.” (Cooking fish has no effect on the mercury level.)"

Totally avoiding Bluefin tuna is recommended. Another recommendation is that smaller fish have less time to collect mercury.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally Sushi (not the stuff we get now, but what the Japanese stole from the Chinese) was a method of curing fish using the fermenting of rice.

The fact that Nori and other seaweed preparations are commonly used along with rice and Sushi should not be construed as permitting such a restrictive definition of Sushi as yours was. God knows, the youth of America spend every waking moment in these threads, looking for factual information with which to conquer the world, and I would hate to see any of the little darlings' hopes dashed to pieces in what amounts to the callous manslaughter of their aspirations.

Just ignore Wikipedia, and go look up the definition in a Japanese dictionary. Phil can help with that, though I can't. (Even if I could, I wouldn't, because cultures that steal cuisine and then mutate it are no friends of mine! Thank God for honest shows, like Iron Chef America!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
You're right: like sashimi, the seaweed is common but not required; it's the common wrapping in a sushi roll. I was (over-)focused on the usual confusion between sushi and sashimi. But I have to say, I can't recall any sushi not wrapped in seaweed, even in Japan; but I'm sure other things than seaweed are used to bind sushi--perhaps I encountered it but wrote it off as a different variety of seaweed or the item as not-quite-sushi.

Ah, right. Yep, sashimi is definitely a different thing. My experience of Japan has been that nigiri (no seaweed) is much more common than maki (nori roll), but that could just be a regional thing.

Tall_Walt wrote:
But also, I'm not sure about just vinegared rice being legit (without something else). Rice has been the mainstay of Japanese nutrition for all of their history: I was told to never salt or put soy sauce or anything else on my rice, as that would be disrespectful. However, it is usual to tap whatever you have in your chopsticks on your rice to prevent drips.

Yeah, that's my take on it also. You would never get a bowl of sushi rice by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Can't go wrong with bacon.

Aye. Giving up on bacon would be hard. It's the Disneyland of foodstuffs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally I have to take Lipitor for high cholesterol so a big tick in the pro column for seafood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure it's not cured with grapefruit.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Just make sure it's not cured with grapefruit.....

Quite right, though it sounds like a non sequitur: Lipitor interacts with grapefruit juice. It also has a rare side effect causing muscle pain and weakness--rare enough that a doc might forget to mention it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was outed as "Mrs. Vandemonium" on Chit Chat.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Vandemonium: You eat foul? That sucks. Does it taste foul?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

Quite right, though it sounds like a non sequitur: Lipitor interacts with grapefruit juice. It also has a rare side effect causing muscle pain and weakness--rare enough that a doc might forget to mention it.

I love grapefruit, and when I complained to my doctor two years ago that I was unhappy with Lipitor because of this restriction, he essentially told me to suck it up and take the Lipitor. I'm still taking the Lipitor, but that doctor's body has never been found....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.