Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: watching [+] [View All]
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone use the point system to buy units, which is provided in the files section? Does it work?
I still find it a pity that FFG did not come out with a point system by themselves. What works for Combat Commander and countless other games should also be possible for ToI...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used it, although I may be among the very few since I was one who posted it. One suggestion I have is to give each team 75-125 points per map section that you use. Bonus points could be added to an attacking side, or penalties to a defending side. Let me know if you have any ideas how to improve it. The latest version I put up adds squad base calculations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
the new version is definitely cleaner, though I did enjoy being able to "peek under the hood" at how the points were arrived at. Squad base calculation is very handy.

My only thoughts beyond the mortars I mentioned in the original file's thread are that MGs might also be somewhat undervalued. I suppose that their lack of mobility hampers their overall effectiveness, but a well-positioned MG will often spit out at least 2-3 shots per turn, and even when they're not shooting it's generally because they're forcing the other side to plan its movements around the MG and its hail of bullets. My suggestion would be to multiply their firepower value in the calculation by between 1.5-2 to reflect their infinite op fire, but that's just a thought, you're obviously more familiar with the system.

It could be fun to try to assign point values to various defensive structures so that people could set up their own side somewhat. Entrenchments and pillboxes obviously, but possibly razor wire, tank traps and even minefields surprise That might be getting a little bit ambitious, however. I suppose if you weren't playing a defender-type set-up you could just give each side the same number of entrenchments and whatnot to place on the board.

I've been thinking about doing a solo game recently, so I think I'll probably try the points out then. Again, great work on the point system!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.