Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A situation arose which brought up a question I hadn't thought of before: can you remove Fellowship pieces voluntarily, without them being defeated?

On the Black Gate Battlefield board I had placed Gimli and Legolas on the two spaces following the #4 entry space (an eye and a black square). This worked at blocking enemy pieces from advancing, until the tile came up which allowed the purple piece to charge and defeat Gimli. That meant that in a future activation, Legolas would block the purple piece, which would then move onto the Big Eye, losing the game. I would rather remove Legolas than let that happen.

Here are possible answers to the question, with justifications:

A) No, you cannot remove a Fellowship piece once placed, unless it is defeated. The rules do not allow it. You just have to factor that risk into your decisions.

B) Yes, the active player may remove any Fellowship piece at any time. The rules do not forbid it. (The rules don't mention the possibility either way.) It makes no sense that a Fellowship piece would block an enemy into a move that immediately loses the game. And this would go along with the spirit of being able to discard unwanted cards from your hand at any time.

C) Yes, the active player may remove any Fellowship piece in the same way he may place them: through discarding the piece's required cards, or as a non-card-playing turn action, or through a yellow card (Corsair Ship or Reinforcement).

I thought of C) as a compromise between A) and B), allowing both flexibility and consequences. Other answers are of course possible.

I have sent this question to Fantasy Flight, and will post their reply when I get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
I hadn't thought of that situation either. I would suspectthat Reiner would say the answer is #1, but I have no real justification for that.

I do hope your not holding your breath on a Fantasy Flight reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand wanting to remove Fellowship pieces in certain instances, but since the rules don't mention allowing removal, except when defeated or at the end of the scenario, I don't think you can.

There are many things that players want to do (move Sauron back to 12 on the corruption line, for example) that aren't specifically disallowed in the rules, but it doesn't mean you can do it. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Barliman wrote:
A) No, you cannot remove a Fellowship piece once placed, unless it is defeated. The rules do not allow it. You just have to factor that risk into your decisions.

I'm affraid this option is intended. Discarding cards (as you touch upon in B) is specifically mentioned, discarding pieces isn't. In reality, one person's actions can be disadvantageous to another person 'on the same team', so it does mimic reality in that respect.
But, I don't see why you couldn't defeat your own pieces. Stab him in the back! (I'm not even sure if this works in the game.)

Do let us know the answer from FF. Or should that ultimately mean, the answer from Herr Knizia?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree with you all that "no" is the most likely answer to my question. But it does seem possible, since the rules don't forbid it (like they do placing pieces more than once), and it is something that happens in the game already (as opposed to moving Fellowship pieces around the board).

Der Das wrote:
Discarding cards (as you touch upon in B) is specifically mentioned, discarding pieces isn't.

Actually, the rules do say "If a Fellowship piece is discarded, place it facedown next to the Battlefield board." (p.6) While this probably refers just to being defeated, there is a small possibility that voluntary discarding is also implied, and was left out of the rules through an oversight.

Bullroarer Took wrote:
I do hope your not holding your breath on a Fantasy Flight reply.

I've heard that they can be slow in answering, and almost wrote "if they respond", but I preferred to be more positive. Fantasy Flight is very good about sending replacement parts -- they sent us a missing counter sheet for King's Gate very quickly; and even answered a question I had about it a week or so afterward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.