Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
The FFG website now lists the expected release date for this game as April 2008.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
The FFG website now lists the expected release date for this game as April 2008.

Maybe i should get the German version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or play something else in the meantime. It's not as if we're out of playable, interesting new games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are these delays the norm in the gaming world? I know of few other industries where such constant failure to hit deadlines is tolerated.

In July 2007 the super duper War of the Ring whistles and bells edition was declared due for release in Xmas 2007. Ooops, did we say December 2007, make that August 2008.

Now Tribune. It's not like its being invented from scratch. It exists in German. The English rules are here on line, it just needs to be reformatted into English. First release guess November 2007, then Feb 2008, now April.

April 2008 is the projected date for the release of the English version of Agricola. Anyone offering odds on that one?

I know no one dies as a result of this but if I completed a project 4 months late I would be crucified with damages payments for non completion. Don't such contract clauses exist here? Or are we all such great gaming mates that press releases with publication dates are just considered marketting fluff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know in the semiconductor industry, when you have a chip you want manufactured, you get in line. It happens when the previous one is completed. If you want to "cut in line" you have to pay premium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But even in semiconductor land, don't you have programmed dates for when the production will start? Or alternatively, don't you hold back on announcing a completion date until you have guarentees or contractual certainty from a manufacturer?

Or is that just too hard nosed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Or alternatively, don't you hold back on announcing a completion date until you have guarentees or contractual certainty from a manufacturer?

That's what blows me away. Even the most otherwise reputable publishers seem to have no problems announcing release dates that they must absolutely know (from past experience) have no chance of being less than 6 months delayed. This happens over and over, with every game, with every publisher. Who's going to be the first to use simple honesty? I'd love to hear someone say, "The manufacterer is telling me April, but they usually miss their schedules by at least 3 months..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what makes this one delay particularly annoying is the fact that this game was voted #1 at last November's Essen convention in the Fairplay poll, ahead of the much-ballyhooed Agricola which somehow has managed to rise all the way up to the top ten in the BGG ratings list. On the other hand, this supposedly better game has languished, mainly because no one seems interested in getting an English version in print anytime soon. A very sad development, IMHO, one that does not reflect very well on FFG. The Fairplay poll results should have been great advertising for the game, instead it appears to be a lost opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com//cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
Of course, if one was of a cynical frame of mind this mis-information could be an intentional marketing.

The many thousand non-German speaking visitors to the Essen Spiel are quite used to buying games in German. We do it all the time. And with so very little German text we'd have bought TRIBUN had it not been stated at the time that the English version would be out before Christmas - implying that it was well on the way. So, being only weeks away, we decided to wait.

All I can say is if the game is now not going to be ready until April I find it hard to believe that it wasn't known in October that it most certainly would NOT be appearing "before Christmas"!

- Derek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

Maybe i should get the German version...

You should. We played with German version and it wasn't that bad. I'm sure with proper player aid it'll work just fine. (We didn't have and there was a bit of puzzlement with some things for a few rounds..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
Well, what makes this one delay particularly annoying is the fact that this game was voted #1 at last November's Essen convention in the Fairplay poll, ahead of the much-ballyhooed Agricola which somehow has managed to rise all the way up to the top ten in the BGG ratings list. On the other hand, this supposedly better game has languished, mainly because no one seems interested in getting an English version in print anytime soon. A very sad development, IMHO, one that does not reflect very well on FFG. The Fairplay poll results should have been great advertising for the game, instead it appears to be a lost opportunity.

Of course, this isn't unusual, and Fairplay's accuracy in measuring how much Geeks will like the games at Spiel is decent but not remarkable. I don't recall seeing Big Kini picked up by a US publisher either.

This is honestly just devil's advocacy though, I'm excited about Tribun, and I hope that it gets published in English soon. I don't think having to wait until the early Summer will exactly be the end of the world...just play some other Heinz-Schmiel games while you wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carver wrote:
Of course, if one was of a cynical frame of mind this mis-information could be an intentional marketing.

The many thousand non-German speaking visitors to the Essen Spiel are quite used to buying games in German. We do it all the time. And with so very little German text we'd have bought TRIBUN had it not been stated at the time that the English version would be out before Christmas - implying that it was well on the way. So, being only weeks away, we decided to wait.

All I can say is if the game is now not going to be ready until April I find it hard to believe that it wasn't known in October that it most certainly would NOT be appearing "before Christmas"!

- Derek

Maybe you are right. I never trusted FFG anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Why are these delays the norm in the gaming world? I know of few other industries where such constant failure to hit deadlines is tolerated.

I know no one dies as a result of this but if I completed a project 4 months late I would be crucified with damages payments for non completion. Don't such contract clauses exist here? Or are we all such great gaming mates that press releases with publication dates are just considered marketting fluff?

You mean besides the software development industry? Vista anyone? Duke Nuke'em For[n]ever? Delays like this happen in the publishing world constantly; half the academic journals I have dealt with can be anywhere from months to *years* behind their actual schedules.

But, let's get real for a second...

And, for a title like this, the "gaming world" means roughly a few thousand people in this country and the companies tend to be seriously understaffed shops anyway. Yea, FFG is bigger than most niche gaming companies in the US, but, based on their 2006 profile anyway, the Kinkos across the street from my office has more employees working in it on a daily basis [and, as a single shop, probably much higher revenues too]. And those people don't have to translate German rules into English *and* ensure that the damn translations actually equate to a decent game [read the english rules posted here to see what I'm talking about; they're dodgy at best].

Oh, and they have *existing* product lines that need daily attention from those same 28 people.

So a slight slip of a couple of months? Pfft. It's nothing. Hell, MMP's alleged Up Front reprint has become the Duke Nukem Forever of the boardgame world. At least you'll see your desired title in this year. We're still working off the press release from 2000 that the game was "coming soon!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogmatix wrote:

So a slight slip of a couple of months? Pfft. It's nothing.

And while this response and attitude remains amongst the customer base, this situation will continue. We have no one but ourselves (well you actually) to blame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
dogmatix wrote:

So a slight slip of a couple of months? Pfft. It's nothing.

And while this response and attitude remains amongst the customer base, this situation will continue. We have no one but ourselves (well you actually) to blame.

and you're being very unrealistic. If it were easy,someone would do it. It's not, and as the OP said, the market is small, and so are margins. Lining up the low-cost producers, verifying the translations, and all the other work that needs to be done can easily run into unexpected issues. Furthermore, you as a consumer don't give the publisher a premium for meeting your demands, or pony up higher prices for games released sooner. The publishers will continue to be aggressive on release dates, knowing a delay will usually increase awareness, not hurt sales.

Movies, entertainment software, books, and yes games, all benefit from pre-release buzz. If it really bothers you that much, I suppose you could stop buying the games that do this, and if enough people follow suit (they won't), the model will change. As it is, publishers will continue to do what they can to get interest before it hits the market.

Maybe you could write a note to Blizzard. They're the most successful entertainment software company out there by far, and they routinely miss their original announce dates by YEARS.

In other words, nothing's going to change, so you might want to adjust your expectations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
If it really bothers you that much, I suppose you could stop buying the games that do this, and if enough people follow suit (they won't), the model will change.

Little acorns (they might)....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/290674

Gamer_Dog wrote:
As it is, publishers will continue to do what they can to get interest before it hits the market.

I've no masters degree in economics or marketing but repeatedly failing to achive advertised deadlines and pissing your client base off is not a recognised model for maximising profit from a product, especially when initial enthusiasm wanes and an alternative is available.

Gamer_Dog wrote:
Maybe you could write a note to Blizzard. They're the most successful entertainment software company out there by far, and they routinely miss their original announce dates by YEARS.

Or even London Transport regarding the shocking reliability of their trains? Seeing how software isn't the board game industry nor in the same league and this thread isn't entitled 'Let's bang on about all things late', let's keep to the agenda shall we?

Gamer_Dog wrote:
In other words, nothing's going to change, so you might want to adjust your expectations.

And in a world full of Gamer Dogs, nothing ever would. By all means continue with your zero expectations, you will rarely be disapointed. I think I'll set my sights a little higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.