5 Posts

Athens & Sparta» Forums » Rules

Subject: Update Beta Rules Available rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Sedeño
msg tools
Hi,

In the official blog of columbia games there are an update version of the rules 1.0.1. It's still in Beta.

http://columbiagames.info/athens-and-sparta-update

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. It still hasn't made it to the table yet but hopefully soon.

How important were these added rules? Were they easy to miss? If one has experience with Hots are they obvious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played my first game last night. As far as I could tell the rules updates were minor, as we never referred to any rule that was in red on the 1.01 version. It really is a .01 update. I had alot of fun as Athens, and I'm looking foward to playing as Sparta next week, in order to see if the game is unbalanced (or if I'm just a brillant Athenian commander.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen newberg
Canada
ladysmith
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Checkallday wrote:

How important were these added rules?

IMO the update is very important. Without it there are half a dozen fairly important things that come up and are obviously a problem in the rules. You can check for what they were on the Columbia site in the folder for the game. Most are at least partially resolved by the rules update, though some still need work and there are still problems of balance. We have stopped at 14 games played and Sparta has only won once, that being our first play, and then only because we did not know what we were doing.

From the initial rules set, it is fairly obvious the game was never blind play tested with the published rules, but it is making progress and seems worth the effort. The best suggestion for altering the victory conditions I have heard is simply to allow either side to auto win if they get to 30, and otherwise, the side with the higher total at the end wins, or if even, there is a tie. This tends to get the Athenian player to be more historically aggressive, and at the same time gives the Spartan player at least some chance, which is really not otherwise available against careful and conservative Athenian play.

pax, smn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frimost wrote:
Hi,

In the official blog of columbia games there are an update version of the rules 1.0.1. It's still in Beta.

http://columbiagames.info/athens-and-sparta-update

The above link is broken.
Here's a valid one (for the time being, at least!)

http://www.columbiagames.com/resources/3061/3061-rules.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.