Popular Tags: victory [+] [View All]
Big Guy
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green/blue is not usually the most powerful combo and my deck of those colors has recently been on a losing streak. But then again, I have a habit of building decks on weird themes, and not necessarily streamlining them, instead just throwing them together from a mish-mash of cards. For green and blue, I decided to build a Saproling deck augmented by tricky blue cards, many of which are illusion-related. I call the deck "Magic Mushrooms".

I played a game against E and G, both of whom had white and blue decks. My initial draws were not very promising - I did manage to get out an Elvish Farmer early, but had a lot of blue spells I couldn't play, including two Illusionary Walls and two Blue Elemental Blasts. With no one playing red, the latter might seem completely useless, but you have to realize how trippy my deck is.

Luckily, G was totally mana screwed. With only two lands in play, he began discarding turn after turn. Kinda lame to beat an opponent under those circumstances, but, hey, this is a tough game. So E was the only threat, and his deck did what it was designed to do: produce a motley force of Avians and Griffons. And then a Tim, which made my Saproling force less effective. But still, I had the Farmer, so I could eat any Saproling that Tim blasted.

Mana was tight for me. I attacked with the Farmer just to burn a Giant Growth. I had a Mirozel - totally unplayable with Tim in the game. But E was having the opposite problem: he was drawing too many lands, and his creature force wasn't growing very large. I finally had enough creatures and land in play to make use of Sprout Swarm, and my Saproling force started growing. I was even able to attack with it once.

I played a Thorn Thallid, and Tim's days were numbered. But then E whipped out Lumithread Field. It would take me six turns to kill Tim now. I was growing desperate, and with barely enough land for the job, brought out one of my Illusionary Walls. This gave me the time I needed; E's air force turned on the hapless G.

This is when fortune truly smiled on me. E brought out his magnificent Celestial Ancient [Whenever you play an enchantment spell, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control]. I drew Control Magic, and made the Ancient mine. E was cursing me.

Then came the coup de grâce. My next draw was the perfect card for the circumstances: Shifting Sky. Every non-land permanent in play became red. And, since I played an enchantment while controlling the Ancient, all my creatures gained counters. I now had an army of 2/2 Saprolings. With one of my BEBs, I eliminated the Field. The Thorn Thallid was then able to take out Tim.

E's next play was a good one: Crimson Acolyte [has Protection from Red and can give other creatures Protection from Red]. His creatures could stop my Saprolings now. But, alas for him, the Acolyte was also red, and not at all protected from my other Blue Blast. E was beaten down to the point that I was able to finish him off with my Saprolings and his own Ancient. G, weak and helpless, soon followed.

Only the most skilled of duelists dare eat the mushrooms of the magic forest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice job!

True, I don't care much for GU.

My favorite combos, in order, are:

WG
BW
BG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. It's good to see that you enjoy MtG for what it is - a game, not a race to empty your bank account. Your theme deck sounds like a lot of fun. And it sounds like you had lots of fun playing it. Refreshing to hear this kind of narrative for one of the coolest games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chavis
United States
Wanatah
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report.

Wow - it's been a long time I guess. I recognize 3 or 4 of those cards (the blue ones). Granted, green was never a favorite color of mine even though it had some nice cards. I usually played black/red/blue decks (or just two of those colors).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I have gotten older and maybe a touch wiser I can now play magic without that complete obsession to be the best and just sit down and play to enjoy the game. Occasionally I will pick up a booster pack just to seem some new stuff but thats where I stop. It is truly one of the best games out there if you can control yourself.

Nice report.

jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Blue is a tough combo to make work...my compliments. I like to work a white/red and have dabbled with mono blue or white/blue. So I am glad to see any use of blue work. Nice session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely written report.

I like the formatting and the story flows well.

UG is tricky. Glad it worked for you.

Thorn Thallid... ah, the memories.

Good Times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Guy
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback and kind words. I certainly feel encouraged to post more session reports. Next time we have a good game...

(and yes, green/blue is tough, white is best, I think)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.