Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

I have just completed my first ever game of Eisenbach Gap, It ended in 100% destruction of the US forces by the end of the 3rd turn. I believe there were two reasons for this

1st The 1st Tank Battalion started the 1st turn, and were also drawn 1st on the 2nd and 3rd turns so inflicted a lot of casualties!

The real reason though was that I messed up the American deployment totally. (solo game btw).

Russian tanks were deployed 2 to a hex at F1, F2, F3, F4, E3 with the HQ in F3. This was about as forward as I am allowed to deploy.

The US tanks were deployed in J2 and J3 with the infantry in K6 and the ITV in K8

I would like your opinions please on any rules mistakes I made. I realise I made a deployment mistake putting the US so far forward and in visible LOS of the Soviet starting positions, but I don’t think I made any rules errors so please point out ones I missed…

Sov’s get 1st turn, HQ drops HE on both the Infantry in woods and ITV on hill. My understanding is that normally the inf in the woods would count as concealed, but although they get a plus for being in the woods for cover they do not count concealement against artillery. Likewise I assumed the ITV on the hill does not get +1 for being on the hill when fired at by indirect HE. Both units took a hit and were disrupted.

6 Sov T72’s fired into the Abrams on the hills (+1 cover on hill V direct fire) and disrupted one abrams. US could not opportunity fire as the sovs fired from their deployment hexes. Last 4 T72’s then charged up next to the Abrams. This gives them a bonus for being within half range and a minus for moving (cancelling out). The disrupted Abrams could not opportunity fire as disrupted. The undisrupted abrams did opportunity fire fired and reduced 1 T72.

Team Yankee was drawn removed all ops complete markers, removed disruption from abrams but not the ITV or infantry. Abrams destroyed a T72 platoon and reduced another I think. Then end of turn.

2nd Turn Sovs were drawn first again, everything was in range, and a few were within half range. Decided to charge most units into close assault, I believe they can move FULL move distance and enter close assault, Sovs had the edge, I don’t believe you count any kind of cover bonus in close assault and several of the US units were disrupted so only hit back on 6’s. Really hammered the US, I think they destroyed one abrams whilst the other and HQ retreated reduced, (HQ was also reduced I believe as I rolled 1D6 when unit it was with got hit and a 6 came up.

Team Yankee got the next 2 chits but achieved little. Pretty much everything failed their anti disruption rally roll on 1st chit. Everything passed on 2nd chit. First time the ITV or infantry had fired in the game. Inf and the empty M113 did not seem to be able to do anything against T72’s? So inf fired the dragon, think it missed (forgot whilst I was playing but I think that means it is out of ammo). The ITV did hit something.

3rd turn 1st Sovs activated first and overrun and destroyed everything, 100% losses.

OK seems important for the US to keep their distance which makes sense. Guess it is sensible to deploy out of LOS f any SOV starting position??

More importantly did I get the rules wrong. I can live with being a poor tactician, but need to know if I have messed up the rules.

Of course I was a masterful Soviet Battalion commander, managing to sneak up on the imperialists and give them a good thrashing!!

Oh I think at the end the sovs had lost about 2 T72 platoons destroyed, and about 2 reduced. Trivial losses for their achievements.

Opinion so far – I like the game, seems fairly straightforward, fast moving, I like the counters and all the data on them, I hate CRT’s. My eye sight is not too good though and I really struggle to read the figures.

It would have been nice if larger counters and larger hexes had been used, but I realise it is far too late for this.

It really would have been easier to read if more sensible fonts were used for the numbers on the counters, all the 3’s look like 5’s!!

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, your deployment doomed the Americans from the start. If the Soviets had to move first, then you could get your long range (20) OP fire in, disrupt/reduce a few units. Then when the Yankee chit is pulled, they'd get to fire again. So it's possible for them to fire 3 times per turn. You deployed every American unit within range of the soviets. For the Soviets to win, they have to make it all the way to V3, and they'll need control of all 7 city hexes.

Edit: A couple more things..

Quote:
Team Yankee was drawn removed all ops complete markers

At this point in your session report, Yankee shouldn't have had any ops complete markers, and you wouldn't have removed the Soviet's as their chit wasn't drawn yet.

Another thing that sucked about you (er, the Americans) not being able to op fire is that a disrupt or loss would have stopped the units movement, and as I mentioned, they need to make it all the way to V3.

Btw, I'm new to the system just like everyone else, so I apologize in advance if I'm getting anything wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beta.lyrae wrote:
Yeah, your deployment doomed the Americans from the start. If the Soviets had to move first, then you could get your long range (20) OP fire in, disrupt/reduce a few units. Then when the Yankee chit is pulled, they'd get to fire again. So it's possible for them to fire 3 times per turn. You deployed every American unit within range of the soviets. For the Soviets to win, they have to make it all the way to V3, and they'll need control of all 7 city hexes.

Edit: A couple more things..

Quote:
Team Yankee was drawn removed all ops complete markers

At this point in your session report, Yankee shouldn't have had any ops complete markers, and you wouldn't have removed the Soviet's as their chit wasn't drawn yet.

Another thing that sucked about you (er, the Americans) not being able to op fire is that a disrupt or loss would have stopped the units movement, and as I mentioned, they need to make it all the way to V3.

Btw, I'm new to the system just like everyone else, so I apologize in advance if I'm getting anything wrong

Thanks very much for the reply, I also posted this on Comsim world and no one has replied at all, which surprised me.

Team yankee ops complete markers on 1st turn.... Some of the team yankee units (1 i think) was able to op fire during the 1st tank's turn. I thought that after op fire you put an ops complete marker on the unit to show it was unable to op fire again until it was activated?

I realise I made a big mistake with the americans, no worries it's rules errors I am really looking for.

Will replay the game tonight and put the US MUCH further back, probably all units out of Soviet initial LOS, certainly all units out of sov HQ LOS

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andywatkins1963 wrote:

Team yankee ops complete markers on 1st turn.... Some of the team yankee units (1 i think) was able to op fire during the 1st tank's turn. I thought that after op fire you put an ops complete marker on the unit to show it was unable to op fire again until it was activated?

Yeah, I missed that (it was the sentence before, so I shouldn't have ) You played it exactly right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just played this scenario against a buddy of mine.

Because it's so short, we were able to play it 3 times.

The first time went pretty much how you described. The Yanks were obliterated in like 2 turns. The Artillery is devastating as it freezes up units effectively.

The second time i managed to survive a bit longer, but still the scenario seemed too tough for the Americans.

The last play my friend suggested i setup further away. I left the infantry unit in the first city and then placed all the armor in Eisenbach.

This negated the Soviets first turn of artillery fire (no LOS). It also allowed the US to use it's superior range to OP fire with no retaliation.

The distance also makes the Soviets use up time, something they have precious little of.

With this setup, it seems difficult for the Americans to lose...

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.