Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
This variant eliminates the need for resource cards, and accordingly makes the table less cluttered. It puts workers directly into the regions they're mining, so that other players can see at a glance where the workers are.

It does change the rules slightly to do this, but they're minor changes that won't effect balance.

Eliminate Regrouping Steps 2 & 3 "Lose Resource Cards" and "Gain Resource Cards". Instead

Quote:
Step 2: Eliminate Workers eliminate workers in regions with an enemy unit or base.
Step 3: Complete Base Construction flip any new bases from their "mineral side down" to their "mineral side up". (more on this below)

Under Spending Resources add:
Quote:
Workers may be sent to any friendly or empty resource region, as long as there is a friendly base with the "mineral side up" on that planet.

Under Building Bases add:
Quote:
When a base is built it is placed with the mineral side down, to show that workers can't be placed on this planet this turn. It is not flipped to "mineral side up" until the regrouping step 3.

Bases "mineral side down" behave exactly like bases in every way except spending resources. They are still able to build units on subsequent build orders just like a "mineral side up" base.

Advanced Optional Rule: If a player voluntarily destroys a "mineral side up" base to build another one on a different area on the same planet, the new base is placed "mineral side up".

Under setup, add
Quote:
Players place their free initial base "mineral side up".

So what play styles does this change?

Since now units and bases determine which areas can be mined, miners can no longer be sent into enemy territory. I find this more realistic, personally.

In obscure situations with empty regions, enemies can co-mine these regions together. That doesn't seem like the end of the world.

The benefits again are:
* The fiddly resource card mechanic is eliminated.
* You can see at a glance which workers are where.

The drawback is cramming the workers into the already crowded planetary regions. Good thing the workers are so small!

tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! You do need to clarify whether a region with only workers in it is 'empty' for gameplay purposes. Interesting implications either way, but I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the cards only really take up an extra half inch under the faction sheet, but with FFG every inch counts.

I do, however, like the prospect of knowing where the workers are to attack/defend accordingly.

This would be a real pain if your not really sitting near your base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite impressed. I might try this, although I suspect workers may start getting "lost" by drifting between areas when you move other units, which I'll have to avoid.

I assume this gets rid of the rather silly rule where you can force-mine to save your workers too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With this, you could force-mine to save your workers if you thought an enemy was going to occupy your area, but not _after_ an enemy occupies your area, as then you couldn't send more workers in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if you and your opponent both have a base on a planet and you mine a 1-mineral area with a worker, and then your opponent puts a worker on it, does that partially deplete it?

This is a cool idea, BTW. I played this way when I tested that 'Lost Temple' map I did, but instead of flipping bases at the end of the turn, I just remembered what bases were new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
So, if you and your opponent both have a base on a planet and you mine a 1-mineral area with a worker, and then your opponent puts a worker on it, does that partially deplete it?
I guess so. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but hey, how often is it really going to happen in practice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense to me. The area is still being overworked, just by two factions at once. They may both be trying to milk it for as much as they can get before the other one can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Variant is a great idea! we tried it out friday night and had a better time with the game than before. we found that the clutter on the planets was not significantly increased and becuase of the visual aid, it encouraged a realistic stratgy which is raiding areas just to kill off workers and thus reduce supplies. Thanks for this idea wer're never going back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petras Ražanskas
Lithuania
Kaunas
Kauno apskritis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quarter for a very very good variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game with this variant yesterday and it was very good. thumbsup

I can't recommend it enough. Easier to use, more logical where you can mine and actually more fun too as you have to protect your workers more.

Try it out, you'll never go back to the old way, I promise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this way seems just more convenient than using cards. I don't know why fantasy flight have not thought about it.

Ok, I might be missing something from the original rules. In the original rules, if I have a planet with 3 crystal and place 2 workers on it, I cannot reuse this card for the 1 left over crystal without depleting the ressource?

Because the way we played it is that ressources are like reusable money. If you have 3 crystal on a card, you can use up to 3 crystal splitted among more than 1 build action. So if my first build action use 2 crystal, my 2nd action can use the remaining crystal.

If you play it this way, there is no need to flip the base up and down and it makes the game even simplier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
Playing this way seems just more convenient than using cards. I don't know why fantasy flight have not thought about it.
Because they're not paying us enough to playtest their games before they're published.

larienna wrote:
Because the way we played it is that ressources are like reusable money. If you have 3 crystal on a card, you can use up to 3 crystal splitted among more than 1 build action. So if my first build action use 2 crystal, my 2nd action can use the remaining crystal.
You're playing correctly (in both this and the published rules).

Quote:
If you play it this way, there is no need to flip the base up and down and it makes the game even simplier.

Err... that's not what the base flipping is for. In the published rules you don't get to harvest until the turn AFTER you put down the base. Thus you can't harvest from a planet with a mineral-side-down base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sillion
Sweden
Varberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

One advantage of using the cards is that you can quickly see how many resources you have to spend without going over the board and calculating it together every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve e^(iπ)+1=0
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sillion wrote:

One advantage of using the cards is that you can quickly see how many resources you have to spend without going over the board and calculating it together every time.

Agreed. I have a hard enough time matching my resources w/ workers w/ what I want w/ everything else. But I do like this idea and may keep the card to help with planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.