• [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, played last night mostly using your variant. I did a face up deal of a single special bonus card just to help teach my wife the game.

Very fun. The game was very close, I ended up winning by a single point after she took Hoki on the last turn. We're going to play a rematch tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh - anyone able to summarise this much-thumbed and now vanished variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I found it! Unless this was a different variant..I had cut and pasted this when it fist was posted.
Quote:

Hi All,

My wife and I love Shogun, but have not been able to play much of it due to it being for 3-5 players. This led us to come up with a great way to play 2 players. She mentioned most of the changes, which we both love. Here are the changes:

1.) The yellow and brown territories are out of bounds.

2.) Instead of bidding for turn order and special cards, shuffle the 5 cards and deal 2 to each player face down for each season. 1 will not be used in each season. Only reveal your special card when it corresponds to the action.

3.) First Player alternates each season.

That is it. The rest of the game can be played using the 3 player rules. We have played at least 10 games now this way and it works very well and adds a nice little element of surprise with the special cards.

Check it out and let us know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. We ended up playing the variant scenario posted elsewhere, and just bid for one soecial power as per the normal game except we removed the defensive bonus power. I think the two random powers might work better, as the turn order is less obviously needed. The game was very enjoyable, and my wife was much taken with it. Not likely to be a game to hit the table often, but I think this may rank alongside Brass as a game that really ought to be played with more, but which has a lot to offer for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schkff wrote:
Thanks for that. We ended up playing the variant scenario posted elsewhere, and just bid for one soecial power as per the normal game except we removed the defensive bonus power. I think the two random powers might work better, as the turn order is less obviously needed. The game was very enjoyable, and my wife was much taken with it. Not likely to be a game to hit the table often, but I think this may rank alongside Brass as a game that really ought to be played with more, but which has a lot to offer for two.

I completely agree on both counts.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.