Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now played two truncated sessions of this game and I have highly enjoyed both. However, I have a question regarding:

Armies -
Once a single faction has occupied every space in a region's command block, is there anyway to dislodge this faction?

The only thing I can think of would be to bring a unit into a city through the citizens allegiance, but then couldn't the army just convert it through influence or a siege the next turn? I guess water beggars could be used, but not in all cases.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head no. But that's a lot of armies tied up to do just one thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the limited exception of the Water beggars, armies can only be dislodged by oppposing armies. No room for opposing armies means that the entrenched ones can not be broken. However, there is usually little point in doing so anyhow. At most, complete control over a Region (and every province, town, and city therein) is worth maybe 7VP for some factions. It usually takes about twice that many to win the game. A faction that deeply invested in one Region is usually unable to compete on the rest of the board - at its heart, Revolution is a resource management game - and will have a very difficult time winning.

A common misconception among new players is that having a stronghold - or nesting as I heard it called once - in a valuable area is a good thing. Another common misconception is that it is a good idea to rid valuable areas of Neutral units. A faction who has total control of a large Region has succumbed to these ideas and will likely be a non-factor at game's end.

There are a few indirect ways to break a stronghold like in your example. One is simply to make that faction want to invest its resources elsewhere. Another method would be to point out the pitfalls of such a stronghold and negotiate your way into the Region. The potential for diplomacy in Revolution is often overlooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
With the limited exception of the Water beggars, armies can only be dislodged by oppposing armies. No room for opposing armies means that the entrenched ones can not be broken. However, there is usually little point in doing so anyhow. At most, complete control over a Region (and every province, town, and city therein) is worth maybe 7VP for some factions. It usually takes about twice that many to win the game. A faction that deeply invested in one Region is usually unable to compete on the rest of the board - at its heart, Revolution is a resource management game - and will have a very difficult time winning.

A common misconception among new players is that having a stronghold - or nesting as I heard it called once - in a valuable area is a good thing. Another common misconception is that it is a good idea to rid valuable areas of Neutral units. A faction who has total control of a large Region has succumbed to these ideas and will likely be a non-factor at game's end.

There are a few indirect ways to break a stronghold like in your example. One is simply to make that faction want to invest its resources elsewhere. Another method would be to point out the pitfalls of such a stronghold and negotiate your way into the Region. The potential for diplomacy in Revolution is often overlooked.

Thanks for your reply! That is very interesting. We played with a fair bit of diplomacy but I'm not sure anyone really knew how to use armies.

I've emailed your reply to my gaming group. I think the next play is going to pretty pretty fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen the Burghers put two armies in Zeeland fairly often, since that forces the Hapsburgs to take a long way around to threaten Holland. Even then, it tends to be a temporary roadblock, while the Burghers build up their strength, not a permenant fixture.

Otherwise, I agree with the previous responses. The Water Beggars keep the conservative forces from doing this, and economics & the limited number of small regions keeps the liberals from doing it.

I also agree that cleansing a province of remanants of other factions ties up more of your pieces, but doesn't benefit you. You'll see new players do it (most often Hapsburgs in Flanders, or Burghers in Holland), but once they realize how constrained they are by running out of pieces, they won't do it a second time.

-Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.