Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody know what the english translation of Ursuppe would be? Is "Primordial Soup" a direct translation of this word, or just a useful English marketing title?

I've always wondered what it meant and the internet is of little help on this matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure just how well it directly translates.

Primordial Soup would translate to something like Ursprüngliche Suppe.

Is Ursuppe just a shortened combination of the two words?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools

I believe the answer is "yes." Literally speaking, I believe it means first or ancient soup (really, it's implicit in the "ur"), but it is used in the same way. Sorry, can't give a definitive answer until I've pulled out the German dictionary at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Nestel
Germany
Erlangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Primordial Soup (or Primordial Ooze or Primordial Sea) is a established term in science for the ocean where first living cells are thought to establish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primordial_soup.

The German term for exactly this ocean is Ursuppe, which is a combined word consisting of "Ur" which can have roughly the meaning of primordial and "Suppe" which is exactly "soup" (while it sometimes also used for foggy wheather conditions ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hill
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it referres to the ancient german text written by Urseppe Spronglivich titled "Urseppe Sups" a collection of short stories about the creation of the world. "Ur" translating into "The First" and "suppe" into "Clam Chowder"

go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
HillKing wrote:
I believe it referres to the ancient german text written by Urseppe Spronglivich titled "Urseppe Sups" a collection of short stories about the creation of the world. "Ur" translating into "The First" and "suppe" into "Clam Chowder"

go figure.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.