Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Los Angeles....warm weather (well wet now)

I promise to put some great stuff up for a good no shipper...

I'll run the trade if someone coaches me through my first time even...

Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
My crappy little computer can't handle the program needed to run it. But I do hope someone can take up the mantle. I'm sure to have some leftovers from this mammoth math trade going on right now, plus I have others I didn't list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sarsoza
United States
Loma Linda
California
flag msg tools
It is actually 102, but I do not count my trick-taking games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My crappy little computer can't handle the program needed to run it.

Mine too, except I'm not typing on the one I'm talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brandon henriksen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would love to participate. Hopefully we can get this started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter to me who runs it.

But I would like to see lifted that silly no-duplicates restriction the L.A.-based math trades slog through. If more than one person wants a particular game title, give more than 1 person a chance to win it.

Afraid of Tanga-glutting? They don't have to be on a want list.

No-duplicates only benefits those who get online first, with the moderator him/herself benefitting the most, with a first crack at listing his/her fluff first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
It doesn't matter to me who runs it.

But I would like to see lifted that silly no-duplicates restriction the L.A.-based math trades slog through. If more than one person wants a particular game title, give more than 1 person a chance to win it.

No-duplicates only benefits those who get online first, with the moderator him/herself benefitting the most, with a first crack at listing his/her fluff first.

Which is the main reason I'm refraining from offering to run one. I rather like the restriction on duplicates for a smaller trade like this one would be. I think duplicates are fine for massive trades like the Cabin Fever one that is finishing up tonight but

Additionally, I would warn the moderator to ensure you pressure people to actually show up (or send a reliable proxy with their games) at the designated place and time for trades. The last Strategicon Math Trade was a logistical nightmare because some people were coming one day and some another day. It was a mess and we actually had a game disappear in the middle of the trade chain.

Perhaps schedule it for some specific event. I might have a suggestion for you if I can get it together in time.

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheylon wrote:

Additionally, I would warn the moderator to ensure you pressure people to actually show up (or send a reliable proxy with their games) at the designated place and time for trades. The last Strategicon Math Trade was a logistical nightmare because some people were coming one day and some another day. It was a mess and we actually had a game disappear in the middle of the trade chain.

Perhaps schedule it for some specific event. I might have a suggestion for you if I can get it together in time.

I agree with this.

Maybe if we have a MT, and one of the participants works the reg tables for convention staff, perhaps that person could use the tables as a staging area? As long as games are labelled properly for the right person/BGG screen name, it would allow stragglers to be able to pick up and/or drop off. Or, at the very least make arrangements to complete transactions.

But there should still be a scheduled time to assemble and exchange, so that the bulk of the games won't be the responsibility of any one person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheylon wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Which is the main reason I'm refraining from offering to run one. I rather like the restriction on duplicates for a smaller trade like this one would be. I think duplicates are fine for massive trades like the Cabin Fever one that is finishing up tonight but

Why wouldn't we want to have 4-5 people land copies of Race for the Galaxy (which seems to be the current game of the moment)?

If the concern's having a large list to sift through, I don't have a solution. That potential lies with each Math Trade, whether or not there are any restrictions of any kind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Sheylon wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Why wouldn't we want to have 4-5 people land copies of Race for the Galaxy (which seems to be the current game of the moment)?

If the concern's having a large list to sift through, I don't have a solution. That potential lies with each Math Trade, whether or not there are any restrictions of any kind.

To repeat the discussion we've had on the SoCalGamesday Yahoo list, the problem remains that some items get sidelined when the same item plus a sweetener get added. This isn't a big deal with a huge trade because there are enough people that will want both item A and item A plus the sweetener. In a smaller trade, there are many who will not list the secondary item for fear that their willingness to take item A without the sweetener means they will get it and someone else who was more selective will get 'item A plus the sweetener'.

In the end, I think it is easier and more fun for everyone to get a chance to trade their item than worry that four or five of the same game gets traded. Honestly, I don't think the hottest game at the moment is going to get listed a bunch of times. Who would want to trade it? The duplicates are Tanga multi-purchasers (count me there) and I think there will eventually be enough MTs for everyone to get them in.

And I think that if you are the organizer - no problem - you can get the advantage of putting up your stuff first. That's a small plus for what can be a lot of work. No big deal.

And if you still have too much Tanga "Extra" Trash, start sending those trade proposals to the Great White North. Canadians can't get Tanga stuff.

In the end, I'll participate either way. I just like to run them without the duplicates because I think it makes for a more interesting, varied list. The last one was terrific and we had a good number of trades.

Just my two cents on the matter having run nearly a dozen MTs, both national and local.

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.