Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Berman
Argentina
S.C. de Bariloche
Rio Negro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there!
If I play carcassonne with this expansion, should I mark "I played this on" at both games? (carcassonne AND the river)
Or should I select only carcassonne?
Or only the river?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
It's entirely up to you, as they're your stats.
If it were me, I'd only mark one game, as only one game was played. Also, I'd choose to mark The River, as it's implicit that basic Carc was played.
A more complex question is which to mark if you played carc with the River, Inns&Cathedrals, Builders&Traders, King&Scout etc.
It boils down to the question of whether you want to count how many games you play in a year or how many times each expansion hits the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would mark it like this:
Carcassonne: 1 play.
Carcassonne - The River: 0.1 play

That way, both the base game and the expansion would show up in my Games Played list, but my total number of games played would not be affected by the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tegenfeldt
Sweden
örnsköldsvik
domsjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should mark both as played .
Sure your own stats would be wrong as you only played one game but the stats for the site would be better i think.

It is easier for new players to check what expansions are good if people mark them as played when they play them.

And it is also a good way to keep track of what your game group like , after a while when stats are build up you can see what expansions are not played and what expansions people want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Berman
Argentina
S.C. de Bariloche
Rio Negro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
I would mark it like this:
Carcassonne: 1 play.
Carcassonne - The River: 0.1 play

That way, both the base game and the expansion would show up in my Games Played list, but my total number of games played would not be affected by the expansion.

Didnt know you can do that! float point on games!!!
thanks! i'll try that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have always marked both so that I can quickly see how many times I played each expansion. I know that my "games played" are off because of this. But when I look at monthly totals, I can quickly filter out expansions to know what was actually played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
You should always mark both.

You played both, after all. Any problems this causes with summary statistics can be easily remedied by simple algorithms for calculating those statistics (e.g. recognizing that you can only play an expansion with the base game and subtracting it from total plays of the base game when computing how popular that game is relative to others that lack expansions). Any other scheme used will only introduce bad data into the system that no amount of calculation later on can repair. (Entering 0.1 for play of an expansion, for example, is the worst possible scheme.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always mark both; after all, both have been played.

I could choose to mark only one, to keep my "Games Played" total accurate. However, this would make the "Number of times playes" for each game inaccurate.
Insofar people looking at this site are interested in those numbers, I think they are generally more interested in the stats for a game than in my stats. In fact, I'm probably the only one interested in my stats, and I know it includes the expansions, so no problems there.

More importantly, as Aldaron says, the fact that my "Games Played" number is off is primarily caused by the fact that it is calculated in the wrong way; it should not count expansions. Hopefully, this will get fixed someday.
(Of course, that leaves some problems when mixing Munchkin and Star Munchkin in a single game, but it would be a big improvement.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting discussion. I do like the 0.1 plays for expansions, as I am certainly more interested in my own stats than in general BGG stats.

I would posit that for something like Ticket To Ride: Switzerland or Thurn and Taxis: Power and Glory, the original base game should not be marked as played. Sure, you have to take pieces from the original, but you're not really playing the original with an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
kevinwho wrote:
I would posit that for something like Ticket To Ride: Switzerland or Thurn and Taxis: Power and Glory, the original base game should not be marked as played. Sure, you have to take pieces from the original, but you're not really playing the original with an expansion.

And that, too, could be accounted for quite simply in algorithms used to calculate summary statistics, but only as long as people follow the simple rule that whatever you play (whatever you take out of the box and put on the table) you record as a play. Making it more complex than that is innumerate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark both as played.
You played them both so why wouldn't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Berman
Argentina
S.C. de Bariloche
Rio Negro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the responses.

I don't want to make a mess on the global site statistics, so I'll keep on marking 1 for expansion(s) and 1 for base game.

And it would be a nice feature if at the personal stats we get a check box for counting or not the expansions (for total plays)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Thomas
Australia
Bannockburn
Queensland
flag msg tools
'The Double' 2010/11 Champions 2011/12 'The Double' 2013/14
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gusberman wrote:
Thank you all for the responses.

I don't want to make a mess on the global site statistics, so I'll keep on marking 1 for expansion(s) and 1 for base game.

And it would be a nice feature if at the personal stats we get a check box for counting or not the expansions (for total plays)

The best way to get better statistics is to go talk to friendless. http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Friendless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gusberman wrote:

I always mark 1 for the base game and 0.01 for the expansion [for every expasion to be the correct]: this way you are not messing up your "games played" statistics [after all you only played one game of Carc with this or that expansion]. You can't play an expansion on its own.

gusberman wrote:

I'll second that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duck Farmer
Australia
Ziggurat City
Phantasmagoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW I only mark the base game as played. I rationalise this by thinking that only games with BGG rankings should be marked as played. In this example, Carcassonne - The River has a ranking of N/A therefore I wouldn't record it as played, but instead would record the play against Carcassonne.

Taking another example, if I played Ticket to Ride:Switzerland (ranking N/A) then I would record the playing against the base Ticket to Ride game. If I played, Ticket to Ride:Europe (present ranking of 40) then I would record the playing against that game.

I find this approach keeps my total play count accurate and records the plays against complete games (i.e. those with a BGG ranking) and not expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole mess could be avoided if, like the Forums, these things were all just part of the base game and supplements weren't presented as separate games on BoardGameGeek.com.

That way, if you wanted to post a Session Report or Rules Question for some interaction of, say, how something from Princess & Dragon affects something from Abbey & Mayor, you would just post on Carcassonne, because it is all Carcassonne. When dealing with a game like Munchkin, that would be way to much to deal with. If, however, there were just one place to enter data for Munchkin, even if there were various supplements to view for their cost, availability, and other non-user related info.

That's just called organization and it keeps things together where they belong. It should be a simple matter to link Number Of Times Played or supplement-specific forum topics to an expansion within the page for the base game, if need dictates, and all data will be processed properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.