Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background: The Soviet government ran a planned economy. Five Year plans were an economic blueprint for the next half-decade. They were inefficient, unwieldy and prone to dishonesty and corruption. Also, they focused on the wrong targets for wealth creation, unsuprisingly as communists are not very keen on wealth in the hands of the market.

Effect: 3 OPs recurring USA event. USSR discards a card at random. If that card is a USA event, the event occurs immediately.

Strategy: This is a good way to cut USSR hand size and possibly get a useful event in the bargain. It is a little dangerous at Defcon 2 as you might draw Duck and Cover. As Soviets you can do a nice trick with this card by playing it as your last action so that you only have one card in your hand, namely a scoring card for a region you don't want to score, and that gets discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
As Soviets you can do a nice trick with this card by playing it as your last action so that you only have one card in your hand, namely a scoring card for a region you don't want to score, and that gets discarded.

Whoa!! Didn't think of this trick!
Thumbs up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andry Ishak
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
I accidentally won the game in such way as the Soviet devil It really annoyed the US player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Rennert
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I once did this in a tournament where the US -controlled- Europe, and I dumped the Europe scoring card on turn 7 to avoid the immediate loss. I managed to win with War Games on turn 10, before final scoring brought an automatic loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that's an excellent move. Never dreamed of that combo! Its always good to find another good way to discard scoring cards that won't help you.
Thanks for the tip. I'm totally addicted now, playing TS more in jan than RFTG or anything else. Thank God for wargameroom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, WarGameRoom has done a great service and I appreciate it as well. It makes the game quick and easy to play, and there is no mess to clean up afterwards. I use the program myself with a buddy who likes to play, and we are greatful for the hard work done to bring this to the public.

However, don't get so used to playing with the software version that you forget how to play the boardgame. Keeping track of all the information in the game is made very easy by the WGR program, but you may find that your time with the boardgame suffers as you realize several turns in that you forgot to track some part of the game and have been playing wrong the whole time.

Bone up on the rule book and break out the cardboard once-in-awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:
As Soviets you can do a nice trick with this card by playing it as your last action so that you only have one card in your hand, namely a scoring card for a region you don't want to score, and that gets discarded.

Thumbs up!

Does this then supersede the rule that events cannot prevent the forced play of a scoring card? In my most recent game, I (As the US) wanted to play Quagmire on myself to cause a similar thing to happen (force the play of an Ops 2 card in lieu of a scoring card) but couldn't due to that rule. This is different, but similar enough that it makes me wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
nicktaruffi wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:

Thumbs up!

Does this then supersede the rule that events cannot prevent the forced play of a scoring card? In my most recent game, I (As the US) wanted to play Quagmire on myself to cause a similar thing to happen (force the play of an Ops 2 card in lieu of a scoring card) but couldn't due to that rule. This is different, but similar enough that it makes me wonder.

You're only forced to play a scoring card if the card is in your hand. If you can discard it somehow, then you're not obligated to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

It seems like you would almost always want to do this if you have a scoring card that is bad for you, and it seems pretty broken that you are actually allowed to discard a scoring card with it, and have it not happen.

Does it really work this way? So you can just ignore an entire area of the board and then make it not score?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:

It seems like you would almost always want to do this if you have a scoring card that is bad for you, and it seems pretty broken that you are actually allowed to discard a scoring card with it, and have it not happen.

Does it really work this way? So you can just ignore an entire area of the board and then make it not score?

I wouldn't call it broken as it doesn't come up that often. I've seen my opponent discard scoring cards before (via this card and others, I don't recall exactly which ones) that would have helped me, and that's just the way things go sometimes. If you put all of your eggs in one basket, you run the risk of dumping it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:

I wouldn't call it broken as it doesn't come up that often. I've seen my opponent discard scoring cards before (via this card and others, I don't recall exactly which ones) that would have helped me, and that's just the way things go sometimes. If you put all of your eggs in one basket, you run the risk of dumping it.

Its already come up twice in my first game, that seems pretty often. I didnt know the rule but it seemed very broken, so I played that I couldnt discard the scoring card each time that wouldve been about +5 for my opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps play the game a few more time before calling anything "broken."

This is but one tactics amongst thousands. And it only helps in the short term. Assuming the game goes to the end, any ignored region would score and if you really ignored it, could lose you the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Its already come up twice in my first game, that seems pretty often. I didnt know the rule but it seemed very broken, so I played that I couldnt discard the scoring card each time that wouldve been about +5 for my opponent.

I wouldn't consider it broken, just smart play. Whenever I get hit by Quagmire/Bear Trap or Blockade as the US I always discard a powerful enemy card. To me it's just like Space race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.