Subject: Is Loot comparable to For Sale? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javin Lum
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow gamers!

I need some help on these 2 games. I have seen some comparisons of these 2 games, are they similar in anyway?

I do have For Sale already and i just think my money will be better spent on another game if Loot has mechanics which resembles For Sale.

Thanks and Happy Gaming!

Vin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The machanics are not the same. I'd consider them totally different games. But I'd avoid Loot in favor of something better if I were you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Loot is a great game if you have younger players in the mix. My buddies enjoy it as well, although it's not terribly heavy. Given the price it's not a bad game to pick up. Available pretty much everywhere.

Very different from For Sale.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games. I like them both, though you need at least 4 to really play Loot. I'd recommend looking at Knizia's Wildlife Safari for a short 2-4p game, or perhaps Modern Art for a more involved (and longer) bidding card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have yet to play Loot with 4, so I am holding off on my verdict. But with two it was... extremely lackluster. If it were solely a two player game I would have already traded/given it away. So my opinion of Loot is probably not worthy.

We like For Sale and it tends to get played multiple times/days, then sits for a while, then gets pulled out two months later for more plays.

Two games that I think fall into the same category as For Sale that are big hits with my family are Coloretto and No Thanks! (I see you already own No Thanks).

I would second Modern Art except that I would place it a bit heavier. It's not a game we'll pull out for an ending filler or a light, after-dinner quickie. But it's a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale: A Real Estate Game is a auction game. In Loot you play pirate cards, of varying force, to capture merchant ships, of varying value. It is most similar to Hungry or Great Wall of China. The last is the best of the three, I think, though Loot is much lighter and much more suited as an introductory game. Loot can also be gotten much more cheaply, $5 or so at Target, last I noticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
This is not really about a comparison to Loot. Everyone seems to be calling For Sale an auction game. I think the second phase feels a lot like a trick-taking card game. Everyone must play a card each "trick", and there is one card of each number up to 30. You know you can win with the "Ace" (30), but if it's not a very valuable "trick", or if the other players don't want to risk playing their "King" only to get beat by the "Ace", you can win with a 5. Of course, it's different because it's all blind, and everybody gets something out of the "trick", the winner just gets the best part.

It's sort of a trick taking game where you buy your hand instead of being dealt it. You buy it in the first phase, which is a pretty typical auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Loot and don't really like For Sale. Loot is a great game with a lot of people (I think up to 8 or more) and I believe For Sale plays up to 6. Loot takes about 30 minutes where I think For Sale is 20 minutes. Loot isn't an auction game, where For Sale is, but Loot does rely more on luck I would say, but the theme is much more interesting (to me at least.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javin Lum
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the insight guys...much appreciated.

Well, its brain crunching time to see what other games to get...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.