Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hart
United States
La Marque
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife got on to me early this month because I was thinking about buying Arkham Horror. My friend had recently brought his shadows of Camalot over to play(we won but just barley). I liked it and started looking for other Co-op games. I showed my wife arkham and asked her if she thought she might like it. Thats when the trouble started. She said I was addicted to buying games. My first thought was so what if I am. My second thought was HUH?. OK last year I bought DOOM, T&E, RR Tycoon, Bluemoon City, Mexica, and Elusand. The year before I got Ingineous, Blockus, Age of mythology, Puablo, and a few more. All in all about 1 every other month. She then said the most heinous thing I had every heard her say in the 12 years we've been married. She said " You've got some many games now that we are going to have to throw some away just to make room for any new one." I feinghed having a heart attack. I told her that her proper responce should have been that were going to have to make more shelves for any new games we got. So the question to ya'll is... Is she right am I addicted to buying games. Granted that I have yet to play Doom, otherwise we play all of these games. And how many games is too many?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
$1 more then you can afford to spend is to much.

++I think that's about 200 games per year.++

Edit number in the joke portion to at least a more reasonable number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the odds that anyone here will tell you she's right? Or is that why you asked? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many games? I'm sorry. I don't understand that sentance. Each word in itself is ok, but togather they don't make sense. Its crazy talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hart
United States
La Marque
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I agree it is crazy talk, but I can't afford to get her a therapist without really cutting into my gaming budget. Somehow we will survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilad's post is the greatest thing I've read this week. Frickin awesome.

Seriously though, I'd probably smother my wife with her pillow and bury her in the backyard if she even considered saying something about tossing my games. Asking permission to live my life the way I want is insane. That's not what marriage means to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
What? I don't understand the question! [Edit - I see Gilad beat me to it, and much more eloquently]

More seriously, it depends.

In my own case, I am certain I have a bit of an addictive personality. I used to purchase many, many games. I found I was building up a lot that I hadn't played. In several areas of my life, I decided that when I got to that point, I'd stop purchasing until I used the stuff I had purchased.

That caused me to take a break in purchasing for a while. Mind you, I got a semi-regular gaming group going, started listening to some gaming podcasts, and lots of good games came out recently. That, and a yearly bonus, caused me to purchase about 10 games in the last few months. My wife did raise an eyebrow.

The real answer, however, is it depends on your own circumstances. How much discretionary income do you have? How do your finances work as a couple? Are you spending your discretionary income elsewhere as well? How's it relate to what she's doing with such income? How's it relate as a ratio of what she might be spending on her own interests, or joint interests? How's it all relate to debt and such you may have?

There's no magic number of games that's good or bad - for one person, perhaps two games a year is their max, for another, 20.

Another factor may well be how much she enjoys games. It sounds like you are the driving influence (as you make the game purchasing decisions). She may well view games as a pleasant enough way to spend time with you, but perhaps not the first thing she would do with the money herself.

Money issues are, I believe I have read, one of the top sore spots with couples, so it merits serious, reasonable discussion with your parter. Perhaps she really does feel it's out of hand. Perhaps she just wishes the money was being used for something else - debt payments, something more fun for her, whatever. It's best to talk it out rather than just stonewall it and let it become a big issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

Nah, you're not addicted to buying games. I've only been on this site since last March & since then, I estimate I've bought somewhere between 120-140 games(!!!) in my collection... would you say I was addicted?!

Probably. I'm happy to say that, despite buying all that, there's nothing (apart from perhaps 3 games) that I regret buying... should last me a lifetime?!

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Hart
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Okay, as John's wife, I feel I should jump in here also.
Its not a financial issue, and despite the way it sounds in the original post, its not like there was any arguement either...(the tossing to make room comment was said w/a laugh). Actually Im a big gamer also - he sys hes lucky to have found someone sexy and a gamer
My thought though, was that if a person shows up with 3 new games, barely gets to look at the first 2, and then is online right away going "Wow, this game is on the top 10 on Board Game Geeks list...I need to get this game too", maybe theres a little addiction issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Shannon, you make a convincing case. In John's defense, though, perhaps he's really more of a glutton than an addict.

Hmm, new microbadge idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
timex wrote:
And how many games is too many?

If you are a collector, there probably is no upper limit.

If you are a game player, I just can't see owning more games than you can reasonably use.

You know, we hear about Bill Gates being worth $15 billion and all I can ever think is "that's ridiculous"... there is comfortably wealthy, there is even extravagantly wealthy, and then there is pointlessly wealthy. Such wealth can serve no purpose for the person; I guess that's why useful and wise people at this level spend so much time giving it away to good causes.

The same is true of games. A few of the best in each genre, mechanic, and/or theme and you should probably call it done. Sure, this could probably get into 100 games, but I can't see most normal people (ie board game geeks) getting past 25 - 50 without lots of dead weight. There are only so many hours in the day, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey John,

I run into the same line from my wife from time to time. Granted we own over 50 games now, and play only half of them regularly. I've found 2 strategies that create a win-win situation:

1) Sell a game you don't like/don't play whenever you want to buy a new one. This way your wife doesn't feel like your collection is getting out of hand on top of which new games aren't so expensive since you can put the money from your sale towards the purchase. I noticed that you had quite a few low-rated games in your collection so I expect tossing a few wouldn't be a huge problem.

2) Although it can be difficult, it's nice to involve your wife in the game-selection process some of the time. This way you can get games she and you are both excited about. Again, looking at your collection there are only a few good "couples games" that I noticed. Maybe consider a few 2-player titles like Lost Cities, or games that at least play well with 2 like San Juan. I did notice that you had a Carcasonne and a TTR game in your collection and I'd be surprised if she didn't enjoy those.

That's all I got. Best of luck with your growing collection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many games? Never! I have been on a buying spree on kids games lately only because I have nephews who might be able to travel to see me/I might have enough money to travel to see them. Those are unopened, but I don't think those really count. I have bought games for certain situations as well, non-gamers, card nights, older gamers, ect, that don't get played all that often. However, I feel like my collection wouldn't be played with them if I didn't buy those types of games and I would rather have fun with them playing something social than watching TV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A few of the best in each genre, mechanic, and/or theme and you should probably call it done. Sure, this could probably get into 100 games, but I can't see most normal people (ie board game geeks) getting past 25 - 50 without lots of dead weight. There are only so many hours in the day, after all.

Well, but what if you treat games like books? The price is similar enough (I buy games cheaply and lots of my books are expensive, so $15-35 per item is the usual range in each case). I don't feel as if a book is wasted if I read it once and enjoy it. I don't even necessarily feel as if I made a bad decision buying it if the book wasn't enjoyable (I wanted to know what it said and purchasing it was the only or the easiest way to find out) or if I don't get to it immediately (I know it's something I want to experience and it'll be easily available when I have the time/inclination).

I do feel like I wasted money if I paid full price for a hardback that I didn't get around to reading before the paperback came out. But that rarely happens, because I know I'll regret it. The boardgame analogy is expensive imports when an American edition is forthcoming.

In the end, "how many is too many?" is, for me, a matter of budgetary and space constraints and, occasionally, a feeling of being overwhelmed (too many books/games I've been meaning to get to and haven't. They surround me, rebuking me). Then I stop going to bookstores or reading the Geek. I read/play what I've already got until I feel ready for more or something different or something specific or as if I'm out of touch with what's going on.

For me, the challenge is not so much to buy less, but to unload the stuff that I'm unlikely to use again. But I'm sure I could find help here for that problem!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
[...] DOOM, T&E, RR Tycoon, Bluemoon City, Mexica, Elusand, Ingineous, Blockus, Age of Mythology, Puablo [...]

She said " You've got some many games now that we are going to have to throw some away just to make room for any new one."

Your wife probably spent whole nights playing your games solitaire and noticed that about half of them are garbage and you should get new and better ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
In defense of people who buy games they can't possibly be playing right now: The problem is that games go out of print quickly. I have games in my closet that I haven't played yet, but which I'm glad I bought, because I can't buy them new any more (like Age of Steam 2nd edition); and games that I saw in stores and meant to buy, but didn't get around to before they went out of print (like Acquire).

If you lose out on a chance to buy a game you wanted because you were waiting for some later point and it's no longer available, well, it makes you paranoid, and there's a strong counter-reaction to want to buy everything you want immediately, to make sure it's possible to play it someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Hart
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Im sealing my own doom with this comment, but that is a valid point, we have had that happen in the past. *sigh* Anyone know where we can get a few more game bookshelves cheap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkozlows wrote:
If you lose out on a chance to buy a game you wanted because you were waiting for some later point and it's no longer available, well, it makes you paranoid, and there's a strong counter-reaction to want to buy everything you want immediately, to make sure it's possible to play it someday.

Another analogy to books! Or it's available but ridiculously expensive. So even if some of your anticipatory buys are duds, overpurchasing at the time of publication could be economically rational.

What I wish I could find is that boardgame equivalent of remaindering (maybe it's Tanga). With books, the lowest price is often the price right before something goes out of print. At least that's true in the US, but I think it's a function of tax laws regarding inventory maintenance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
6 a year is nothing. That is not an addiction. If one's financial situation allowed, I'd even say 1 a week isn't too many.

At the worst of my MtG addiction, I was probably spending $200 a month on cards. (No kids, no house payment, working a good job, nor married, etc at the time.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Rizzo
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can definitely have too many games - depending on whether you have a way to store them neatly and keep them from overrunning your place. Same with books. If you've got the shelving, I say, have at it, but if they're piling up and spilling all over, well, it's not good for the games, and it's not good for the energy in your house.

That said, it doesn't sound to me like you're over-doing it. Although, I agree you've got to consider what will actually get played. I just bought a copy of Warrior Knights, because it was $15 used and it's one of my favorite games - but I always play with a friend who already owns it, so I'm not sure if buying my own actually made sense.

Except it was Warrior Knights for $15... I think I'm developing a problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
Well, Shannon, you make a convincing case. In John's defense, though, perhaps he's really more of a glutton than an addict.

Hmm, new microbadge idea...

Not to derail the thread, but

Now that's a great idea. A friend keeps trying to get me to get the owner of to many game. I tell him I DON'T own to many games. But, I can say I may be a bit of a glutton for game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Too many games is when you can't walk on the floor anymore because of the games. Too many games is when you get rid of your wardrobe to fit in more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
lizriz wrote:
I just bought a copy of Warrior Knights, because it was $15 used and it's one of my favorite games - but I always play with a friend who already owns it, so I'm not sure if buying my own actually made sense.

Except it was Warrior Knights for $15... I think I'm developing a problem...
No... not a problem, what if your friend moves? Warrior Knights might be hard to track down at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Six games a year pretty much makes you a paragon of restraint on this website. Have you got them stored away properly or are they littering the house? Do you have a lot of games you never play? I can't see price being a big issue $200 a year isn't much compared to any other hobby. I think what was said by someone else was possibly important: could this be due to something else? Does your wife feel neglected when you are off playing games? Does she dislike playing games herself or dislike your gaming friends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason F.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Move the wife out... more room for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.