United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group shows little interest in 7 Ages. Of course, I would just love to play the game!

Is there a way, while not perfect, to play 7 Ages solo? I think the combat system would be the major impediment to solo play.

My line of thinking, since I lack the experience of 7 Ages game play, is to play a "side" or "hands" of empires, the way you would for one player, the way you want. For "other players" when playing the non combat portion of other players, you would make the best strategic choices as possible, in your opinion, of course. When performing combat, for your empires, pick those cards you want and commit to them. As the non player- pick cards you would have picked, with out the knowledge of the card(s) just selected. The commitment of units is tricky and the multiple rounds aspect almost precludes solo play since this is done secretly. I was thinking committing everything to one round or maybe better yet, rolling a die and playing as many rounds rolled or the player with the least number of combat units whichever is lower as the number of rounds of combat. Picking your units as you would normally, randomly picking the defenders units as equally as possible among the total number of rounds above. If in a round, as an example, the non player empire has two units, one much better in support, use it in that role and the other, better front line unit use it in that role. Randomly pick the defender's combat card (die roll) and resolve normally until the battle in an area is complete.

With that being said, do you thing this is a reasonable compromise? I am looking for suggestions to try and improve on this first stab at solo game play.

I would love some suggestions and or comments.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first grip when playing solo are the events... it is just damn hard to keep track of what you want to play, when, and simply what you have in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing solo does carry added burdens for sure. Beyond the play of the game there are the issues of setup and takedown, not to mention misinterpretation of rules and all that. I have played other card driven games solo and have not had too many problems, but then maybe I have a split personality...

The combat system seems to be the real problem from my perspective. Diplomacy aspects, well I haven't even thought about it that yet...

7 Ages is just crying to be played...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would have a hard time playing it solo. I would suggest that you instead play by email with help of Cyberboard or similar. Yes, it will take a much longer (calendar) time, but it's worth it!

I have myself very little experience of the game, but is playing by email and Cyberboard now and it's so incredible fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonjac wrote:
I think you would have a hard time playing it solo. I would suggest that you instead play by email with help of Cyberboard or similar. Yes, it will take a much longer (calendar) time, but it's worth it!

I have myself very little experience of the game, but is playing by email and Cyberboard now and it's so incredible fun.

I am really thinking of getting this game, but I too would end up playing it solo.

Would you be so kind to tell me how a person plays by email, and what Cyberboard is and how it works?

I have not used either of these methods to play board games, so I am at a total loss.

I have about 50-60 games (have not counted) but I end up playing them all solo, so this sounds very encouraging to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were playing via Cyberboard it would be nice to have a little experience with some solo play so that at least I have some idea of what I am trying to do.

I will punch out the counters and push some pieces around to figure out the game.

Where does the cyberboard version reside online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyor
United States
Willington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mark,

I want to play (and I own) 7 Ages with you! Let's schedule a game of it for the next Ellington meetup?

Brian Beyor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
umber wrote:
Hey Mark

I am guessing you are talking to Mark Kalina and not me, since I really do not know what you are talking about regarding an "Ellington meetup."

EDIT: Spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umber wrote:
Hey Mark,

I want to play (and I own) 7 Ages with you! Let's schedule a game of it for the next Ellington meetup?

Brian Beyor

Hi Brian,

Sure thing! I think Jeff reserved the Library in March. If you are so inclined we could start first thing and continue until whenever. Even then we probably won't finish...

Best,

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever had that feeling of being in a public conversation and knowing that what you say is being totally overlooked. *sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faithful wrote:
Have you ever had that feeling of being in a public conversation and knowing that what you say is being totally overlooked. *sigh*

I am sorry if you are being talked around. You are perfectly welcome to come to our game day at the Library in Ellington CT in March and play 7 Ages with us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyor
United States
Willington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blastpop wrote:
Faithful wrote:

I am sorry if you are being talked around. You are perfectly welcome to come to our game day at the Library in Ellington CT in March and play 7 Ages with us!

Yeah Mark B, you should make the trip down from Mass to play 7 Ages with us.

Although I am not exactly sure of the date yet.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I would have to know the date before I could know one way or the other.

If I could get there (not sure how long time wise to get there), it would be fine with the group that met if I had never played the game in any way shape or form?

Thanks again.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark B,

The meeting is March 22nd - will be in Ellington CT at the public Library. The start time is 10AM and continues until whenever- the room has a separate entrance/exit.

I have no problem with your lack of play experience with 7 Ages- I haven't played it yet either...

If you want directions and other info, Mark B. or anyone else for that matter, please feel free to email me and I'll be happy to respond.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.