Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Creighton
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our Thursday Night Crew got together this week and decided to play Ticket to Ride. We had two new players to the game and two veterans. I will not bore anyone with all of the moves as they played out since most of the game was played with the newbies feeling out strategies and getting a feel for the mechanics of the game. However, I did manage to set a new personal best high score of 161. So that will be the focus of this session report.

I drew my three tickets to start the game. I got LA-NYC, Helena-LA, and Portland-Phoenix. I could not believe my luck! I kept all three figuring that I could use the northern route to connect LA to NYC. In doing so I would have to complete the Helena-LA ticket and by throwing down three trains I could connect Phoenix to Portland.

I started out by collecting tickets. I like to collect most of the routes before I begin laying trains down. I find this helps me avert someone grabbing my route and it also gives me options in case my desired route is taken. I let most of the action happen around me because most of it was taking place in a very crowded Midwest section of the country. Most of my early game was uninterrupted, but there were a few times I had to claim route as I got a little uncomfortable with how close competing rail lines were getting. I secured the western portion of the board and then looked to cross through the hazardous and crowded Midwest. I chose to connect Helena to Duluth to Toronto because of the 6 train and 15 point bonus. It also helped me to steer clear of the entanglements in the center of the board. While this may have seemed like the obvious choice, I was a little nervous because this path really locked me into limited options and I was worried that I would have no foothold in the Midwest for making connections on future tickets. Toronto-Montreal-Boston-NYC quickly followed and I was done with my starting three tickets.

Next turn: take more tickets. I kept Seattle to NYC (a no brainer since I had it connected already - free points!!!!!) and Montreal-Atlanta. I took the Montreal-Atlanta route because I had 8 trains left and with all of the double tracking on the east coast I knew I could spend the remainder of my trains getting to ATL and secure the longest train route. The game finished out just as I had planned. I connected the final 8 trains NYC-Pittsburgh-Washington-Raleigh-Atlanta. Then it came time to add up the massive rail empire I had built!

Train Routes claimed = 80
Longest route = 10
Tickets = 71
---------------------
Total = 161
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.