BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My Emperor Penguin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oddly Enough
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello everybody,

Having my little cousin lose many of the tiles for Hey! That’s My Fish, I’ve decided I’m going to purchase it again. However, I see this as an ideal opportunity to develop my super amazing personal variant, THE EMPEROR PENGUIN. I’m posting this because although I’ve made the rules, I’d like some feedback on how game play could work best. I’ve had a few ideas, some I like a lot and others I can’t commit to. I don’t know how clear this will sound, but here it is.

Components
1 Emperor Penguin Game Piece
1 Lepard Seal Game Piece
10 red aggressive fish tiles
- 4 fish (x1)
- 3 fish (x2)
- 2 fish (x7)
5 green fish tiles
- 1 fish (x5)

Object
If the player controlling the Lepard Seal successfully eats (moves on to the tile) the Emperor Penguin, the player receives the emperor penguin piece which is worth 6 points (fish) at games end.

The new Red & Green Tiles are shuffled and mixed in with the other tiles. The Leapard Seal is the first game piece placed on the board and it always begins on the Red 4 Fish Tile. The Emperor Penguin will always be placed 5 tiles either up or down (whichever direction offers the full 5 tile distance), away from the Lepard Seal. I don’t really know where to start the Emperor Penguin on the board.

The Lepard Seal
- Whenever a player exits a red tile, the lepard seal will move the number of tiles equal to the number of fish on the tile. The player moving the lepard seal on the Emperor Penguin tile, receives the emperor.

The Emperor Penguin
- The emperor moves the number of tiles equal to the amount of fish on ANY tile, EXCEPT red.

The Red Fish Tiles
- Players can push penguins off red tiles if they are moving in from a two tile distance (so there must be at least 1 empty tile between yourself and the penguin you’re trying to push off the red tile) I only half enjoyed the pushing variant introduced by Gunter Cornett. Although I like aggressive opportunities, I liked the feel of the game better without it. I also didn’t like you could eliminate another player’s penguins. I think the pushing off ONLY red tiles both permits and regulates it. Also, it makes the red tiles valuable in their ability to attack, but also transforms your penguin into a target.

The Green Fish Tiles
- This is where I’m unsure on how I’d like the game to operate. Originally I had the Seal game piece hunting only the players penguins as I had not though about creating the Emperor. So the green tiles were going to be “safe” tiles, where the seal couldn’t eat the penguins because the green tiles were, within the game, fragile and unable to support the weight of two game pieces on the same tile. But I’m still not too excited about a player losing one of their pieces either to being shoved off the board or eaten, so the Emperor was born. I’ve also considered making the green tiles the only way to move the emperor. Then I’d have to play around with the number of fish on the the green and red tiles again.

These are other things that i thought about in case anybody's curious.
- lepard seal eats any penguin (other than emperor) = 3 points (fish). But i still don't like the idea of players losing their penguins.
- The original name of the expansion in my head was THE EMPEROR PENGUIN & The Assassin. Then I just shortened it to the Emperor Penguin.
- The lepard seal was originally going to be a polar bear. But a polar bear is too gigantic.

In the end, I don’t think I’ve changed the game too drastically. If you have any ideas on how to make this little variant work, that would be mucho appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.