Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: space [+] junk [+] [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, print and plays. I must admit that I have never done them before... partly because some are really good quality and others don't seem like good games while reading the rules.

But I decided to try Space Junkyard. Heck, technically its free... right?

Theme:

In the game you are a ship flying around space looking for, well, junk. This is all well and good but the 6 x 6 grid layout has multiple issues, like other people doing exactly the same thing.

The theme I think is a well established one in the game. While not overtly pasted on, it is still there. The biggest plus with the theme is that you can recycle any ship parts that you pick up, so in reality, space really is full of junk, and heck if you want to salvage it to make you ship bigger, good for you.

The goal of the game is to make the ship you're building, the best one. So be careful to get the parts you want.

Components:

The components are what you make them, I went to a local office supply store and had them print it out on 100lb paper in full color. So I will not comment on that.

But I will comment on the art: beautiful. By far one of the better looking tile type print and plays. The artwork is great, to say the least. But a few issues I have with it.

1) The starting tiles would better served if they had the player colors on it. As of right now they are kind of hard to tell apart (with a quick overview) from the other tiles.
2) The resource tokens are really well done, perhaps too well done. I tend to use wooden cubes for them instead of the chits. If you put the chits on the tiles, they blend in a bit too much and you might forget about them. This is fixed with the use of cube because, well they stand out. I actually cut the resources into squares leaving a bit of white paper showing... it help them stand out a bit more.
3) Currently the pdf file has the green ship a bit bigger than the rest. Not an issue at all, I happen to play green.

Please note, these comments are critiques at all... the components are great! These comments are just things I noticed... so if you do decide to print it out yourself, be prepared.

Mechanics:

The mechanics are really easy to pick up and play. On your turn you move your ship on the grid and can pick up two asteroids or one ship part. If you pick up asteroids you get those resources and can store them on you ship (anything that cannot be stored is lost).

If you pick up a ship part you can recycle it for resources or add it to your ship by paying the amount.

When your turn is over, you add a tile to the field by adding it to the grid. You push all the tiles, ships, and empty spaces that are located in the row/column when you add the tile... so there is a bit of strategy where you add the tile.

Once during your turn you can use a yellow resource to move three extra tiles. You are able to move three for free during the movement phase.

Gameplay:

The gameplay is easy to learn.

During the game you are constantly watching what other players are doing in order to make sure you can keep them from getting a tile they need by picking it up yourself all the while getting tiles you need.

The point system is interesting too... you add up the points at the end of the game. Each ship part has on it a point value: word to the wise... make sure you connect all your ship parts and try to leave nothing unconnected... the points can be brutal.

Some ship parts add a resource per turn, some store resources, while other convert... so choose wisely.

The game can be deceivingly nasty when it comes to tiles that two or three people may need... but that is rather rare.

Overall:

Overall this game is a very fun game.

The only critique I have is that the artwork, while great, can make some tiles too busy.

Also, the rulebook is really basic, but it could have a better section on what ship parts do what in the order of the turn. But that is rectified in the Q&A section here on the 'Geek... so no big worries.

So while space games are all the rage nowadays in our hobby, Space Junkyard is a welcome addition... especially because its easy to get... and free! (plus its a fun game to play)

Final Rating: 7.5/10

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing , I have been thinking of getting this and that free zombie game. You figure for a free game I would expect to tweek it a little bit anyways. The Geek coming through and having the answers - to cool!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad your first print and play experience was a good one. That's exactly why I like to "upgrade" the art for good games with not so good presentation here on the geek. Get some fun games noticed hopefully, and hopefully get noticed in the process.

Your right about my art, its nice but also a bit busy with the "functional" elements. It was my first go at game art, and with input from fellow geeks, I'm improving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! thumbsup

Few questions:
- how does it play with 2?
- how does it compare to Galaxy Trucker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortune wrote:
Thanks for the review! thumbsup

Few questions:
- how does it play with 2?
- how does it compare to Galaxy Trucker?

Space Junkyard plays fine with two. Still plenty of chances to screw with the other player. As for Galaxy Trucker, the feel is totally different. Here the ship building is slow, deliberate planning, none of the frantic snatch, grab, hope that happens in Galaxy Trucker. Here there is just a touch of randomness with the new tiles being added, where in GT you have the random flip of the cards deciding your fate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.