Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Knick Burton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I've searched around on miniature sites trying to find Sumo Wrestler Miniatures. So far I have little or no luck. The site I did find wanted an outrageous amount for a poorly sculpted figure. If anyone knows any sites with good reasonably priced figures, please let me know. Im looking for something about a inch high, and it can either be a serious Sumo Figure or almost Cartoonish if that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bushong
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't many options. You could check out the game Sumo!. That comes with two little sumo guys. There are a few people on the site that have that game for trade and for sale, but it might cost you.

If you are looking for an inexpensive game piece with the sumo motif, you could always make one the way I did for my Sumo game.

Basically, I took an image of E Honda from Street Fighter, placed a red or blue background onto it, and punched it out of sticker paper using a 1 inch punch. I then took a marshmallow foam piece from the craft store, cut out a small disk, and slapped the pictures onto it.

This is a very inexpensive solution. Further, the softness of the marshmallow foam ensures that my game board won't suffer any wear and tear as the pieces slide around.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
Not sure if this is the miniature which you found previously or not.

http://hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=23

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knick Burton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea. I actually made a home made board for the game Sumo! and thats why im trying to find miniatures. Right now im using Warhammer miniatures until I replace em. The site that was posted seems cool. They aren't too bad. Im still gonna do some shopping around, thanks for the help guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was saving this for a Sumo game of my own, but that's a pipedream, especially as it's been done already. If abstract works for you, here's a minimal effort woodcraft version:
You just glue and bundle some segments of a decent quality dowel together in a hex -1 configuration, bind them parallel with rubber bands until the glue dries, then saw into individual "Sumeeple" segments in a miter box, sand, and paint/stain and/or draw facial features/loin cloth. This one is "naked." gulp (A little oil brings out the grain.) You can make them one guy at a time, but it's easier to cut a bundle into segments than the skinny dowel.

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knick Burton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
johngorno wrote:
I was saving this for a Sumo game of my own, but that's a pipedream, especially as it's been done already. If abstract works for you, here's a minimal effort woodcraft version:
You just glue and bundle some segments of a decent quality dowel together in a hex -1 configuration, bind them parallel with rubber bands until the glue dries, then saw into individual "Sumeeple" segments in a miter box, sand, and paint/stain and/or draw facial features/loin cloth. This one is "naked." gulp (A little oil brings out the grain.) You can make them one guy at a time, but it's easier to cut a bundle into segments than the skinny dowel.

Gorno

That's actually a pretty good idea. Cheap enough to make too and I cant get a bag of pre cut dowels for like 97 cents and have enough pieces to make a few wrestlers. I really like this idea and im off to get the stuff to make a few of these right now. I'll try to post pictures of it all tonight after work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you like them! I worked on these a while ago so I forgot some of the shortcuts (pardon the pun) I'd thought up. If you can get wood "buttons" of the desired diameter and thickness (I don't recall if that's the right name for the little discs you plug into countersunk screw holes to hide them (craft stores sell similar bits)) then you could avoid any cutting at all and just glue the Sumeeples together (since you generally only need two Sumo wrestlers at a time, mass-production isn't needed or efficient). For the cut-bundle (mass-production) approach: wood glue grabs pretty fast, so you can just glue them starting with a bundle of three, then add the others one by one (you might add an unglued sixth dowel to keep them tightly packed in a hexagon as they dry, but that probably isn't necessary). You want the rods tightly packed (unskewed) so they don't wobble after being cut into thinner segments. It's best to let the glue cure fully before cutting/sanding, as it will re-liquify if worked/heated prematurely. I guess the only decoration they need are (slanty) eyes , nose, mouth, a belly button, and a G-string on their butt! (I never decorated my prototypes because the wood grain looked so pretty.) Looking forward to your results!

These guys may be lent to another technique I've been working on: (single-use) mould-cast hot glue. You impress the desired shape in Play D'oh or modelling clay then use a glue gun to fill it: when the glue has cooled and hardened, pull off the moulding, use a little water to wipe off any dregs, and paint! (Getting the top flat is problematic...) For Sumeeples, one could just use the end of anything cylindrical to impress the circles, make an initial casting, put it on a piece of non-stick backer paper, fill in the interstitial openings with more hot glue, cool again, then flip it and use the flat/uniform top to impress finished moulds with the Sumo wrestler shape. More on that technique in the BGG DIY Forum as it progresses.

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knick Burton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I got the wooden plugs to make me some sumeeples but it might not be till tommorow that I get pictures up. My first one ended up with glue everywhere and wooden plugs being shot around my desk from a poorly placed rubber band. This might take some real thinking on my part.

So I kinda of have this down pat, I doe a 3 section first, then put on the others. Once I get at least one fully done im going to get all Artsy Fartsy on it. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.