Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In posting to another thread, I noticed something that started me wondering. Essentially, I've not worried about my image uploads too much - I've achieved even the highest 'golden image uploader' microbadge, so assumed I was doing alright. Realistically, though...maybe not? I think I've managed to achieve this target by the simple VOLUME of stuff I've uploaded. Maybe it's not so good?

Reason is - in looking at my upload gallery (sorted by 'Hot' to get most thumbs on top), I see the following:

The absolute 'best of the best' image I have put up (by thumbs)...only has 24 thumbs?
Not even halfway down the first page of top rated images...I'm down to less than 10 thumbs an image?
Sorting by recently uploaded images (note first 2 pages), a rather disturbingly large number have only 0, 1, or 2 thumbs

This leads me to the unfortunate conclusion that...maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Does anyone have any constructive criticism on some of the images I've uploaded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe try dressing a meeple up like a Klingon and putting in charge of a ship?

or put an 'old timey' wig on a meeple and having it command a fleet of ships?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AbeLincoln wrote:
maybe try dressing a meeple up like a Klingon and putting in charge of a ship?

or put an 'old timey' wig on a meeple and having it command a fleet of ships?

Oi. I don't actually OWN any games with meeples in them! You don't think it's just an anti-wargame bias causing the low ratings? Can't be THAT simple, can it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you one thing that you are doing right. You're putting a very descriptive caption to all of your images. Not to take away from your photography skills (which I think are pretty good) but I think that might attribute to many of your thumbs. I personally am more inclined to thumb an image if it comes with an appropriate description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Cole
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think your pics are great - I've actually used at least one in adding an entry to a geeklist - it was your Midway battle board shot. I like the Federation Commander pics too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TOO MUCH PHOTOSHOPPERYZORZ1111!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you were kidding in the other thread. No. You are doing nothing wrong. You are averaging nearly 3 thumbs per image over 200+ images which is GREAT.

The other thread was started by a post asking why, having recently posted 30 images or so, the OP was nowhere near the copper badge. That statistic is an indication of potential for improvement. Your stats, on the other hand, stand up to pretty much anyone's on the site (except maybe one or two but we cant all be Gollum).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Davis
United States
Greeneville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about your photos but your subject line for this forum could be a lot clearer, don't you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
I give out alot of thumbs to images - for different reasons. One of those is to counterbalance the lack of information in my own image contribution, so I thumb images that provide info. Many of yours are in this category and got a thumb from me.

But it does not end there. I also thumb images that give me pleasure to look at. And many, if not most of yours, that got a recommendation from me also fall in that category.

I imagine the lack of spectacular components one of the reasons why many of your shots are underrated (imo) - counters just doesn't seem to have the attraction of meeples or miniatures, so to speak.
And technically good photographic skills are not a guarantee to get many thumbs here.

Your skills are far from having the suck. Your naval wargame images are top notch - more please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at your gallery... the photos are fine, first-rate even, and good info for those interested in the games.

The subject matter though, can hardly be termed dynamic, don't you agree? Given that, I don't see how you could do much better. How do you sex up a picture of cardboard counters on a board? zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Looks to me like you put up a ton of very solid informational pics of obscure games. Which is great, that's what the database needs more of.

In contrast, the images that get a ton of thumbs here are all much more artistic or humorous than informational (in fact, they're often dis-informational), and they're usually of well-known games.

Keep on doing what you're doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Your images are excellent, and you shouldn't take low thumb counts as any indication of lack of photography skills. The images of mine that get thumbs seem often to be those that compare components or have some explicit informational content (e.g., comparing editions), but as a rule, thumbs are going to be a bad measure of quality, since they tend to reward to the controversial, conspicuous, or silly, rather than the useful or good. (A good example of that fact can be found in just about any thread. Look at the posts that get the thumbs, for example, in a tread that asks a rules question. Typically they will not be given to the the informative answers, but the humorous or offensive, and often totally off topic, quips.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
I personally am more inclined to thumb an image if it comes with an appropriate description.

Agreed. I'm totally with you on that. I can't tell you how many times I've seen an image on BGG that I couldn't even begin to tell WHAT it was supposed to be, if it was a legal game position, if it was custom components, etc.

Marqos wrote:
The subject matter though, can hardly be termed dynamic, don't you agree? Given that, I don't see how you could do much better. How do you sex up a picture of cardboard counters on a board?

Well that's why I've tried to 'spice them up' some showing 'action shots' - for example, the dice from a recent attack role in this pic:

Aldaron wrote:
Your images are excellent, and you shouldn't take low thumb counts as any indication of lack of photography skills. The images of mine that get thumbs seem often to be those that compare components or have some explicit informational content (e.g., comparing editions), but as a rule, thumbs are going to be a bad measure of quality, since they tend to reward to the controversial, conspicuous, or silly, rather than the useful or good.

While I've certainly seen that trend, there aren't really a HUGE amount of better options to measure quality.

For instance - the above 'action shot' photo vs something more unconventional, like an extreme-low-angle shot:

...I'd like to tell which kind of shots are more popular, but...looking over all my images, there really seems to be no rhyme or reason to the thumbing.

Indeed, near as I can tell, the day and time of day the image is submitted (IE., who is modding at that moment) seems to have a lot more to do with what thumbs it gets than anything related to its quality.

It's a real shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
What I fail to understand is the people who post compliments about the quality of images but don't give quality images thumbs...

No wonder good quality isn't as rewarded by thumbs like other aspects of images on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balanced illumination, sharp focus, depth of field, and an info tag showing exposure of 1/6 second tells me that rigid camera support must have been involved. Technical competence is not at issue.
I usually expect that editing deletes the info tag stuff. Was this cropped?

Subject matter? Yes, the dice were important there. Three dimensional pawns on a flat board evoke drama. Flat cardboard chips on flat board don't. But those are the components your games have.

Ummm, and a personal perspective is that images of uncut counter sheets just make me groan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Balanced illumination, sharp focus, depth of field, and an info tag showing exposure of 1/6 second tells me that rigid camera support must have been involved. Technical competence is not at issue.

Thanks. And yes, tripod structure involved, here, with table positioning under correct lighting, color balance, etc. Caveat, of course, is that technical skill does not equate to artistic merit. I believe I do a fairly good job technically, the lack of thumbs I took more as a criticism of artistic ability rather than quality of work.

TVis wrote:
I usually expect that editing deletes the info tag stuff. Was this cropped?

It was, yes. I also did some minor color correction after-the-fact, too. The camera does a pretty good job when calibrated against a sheet of 'brilliant white' paper, but as the dice are just about bleach white themselves, they make an EXCELLENT sample point to use for white balance in post production.

As to tagging - I use Photoshop. It seems it doesn't removed the info tags that it isn't overwriting? Huh. Live and learn - I never bothered to check that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Does anyone have any constructive criticism on some of the images I've uploaded?

Search for images with lots of thumbs. Discern the common qualities you perceive in the photos that earn for them their numerous thumbs. Endow your own photographs with those qualities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Moratti
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my God! Someone who speaks English wrote the caption to this thread! Too funny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
BradyLS wrote:
Endow your own photographs with those qualities.

Tits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
BradyLS wrote:
Endow your own photographs with those qualities.

Tits?

*shrug* If you want the thumbs, you do what it takes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilgore Trout
England
Forest Hill
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd thumb that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
The images are all very good but also very similar. That makes, in my opinion, the images compete against one another for the thumbs.

Also consider that you are not photographing popular games. I feel your pain here. I photograph block wargames so there are only so many people going to those game pages and looking at your photos to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borja Sierra
Spain
Getxo
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a look at your gallery and I find it very interesting. I think there is no bias for wargamming pics here in the BGG, but just simply that most of the users/mods are more into euros than into wargames, so when they came across an image with counters they fail to realize the importance/fun/wathever that could have, and simply see some board counters over a map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Do my photography skills suck?
XanderF wrote:
in looking at my upload gallery (sorted by 'Hot' to get most thumbs on top), I see the following:
The absolute 'best of the best' image I have put up (by thumbs)...only has 24 thumbs?
Not even halfway down the first page of top rated images...I'm down to less than 10 thumbs an image?
Sorting by recently uploaded images (note first 2 pages), a rather disturbingly large number have only 0, 1, or 2 thumbs
This leads me to the unfortunate conclusion that...maybe I'm doing something wrong?

No need to come to this conclusion. I've uploaded more than 2000 images to BGG, and currently only three of my images have more than 25 thumbs. Is this a problem? I doubt it. This is to be expected of images that don't
feature cats, poker-playing dogs, giant meeples, Magic girls, or semi-naked Hungarian men. On the other hand, I've noticed quite a few of my images (ones without many thumbs at all) being used in reviews, so clearly they still make a useful contribution to the site. Right now, your 243 images have generated 866 thumbs, so I'd suggest that implies there is good appreciation for the content you're uploading. No need to worry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.