Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am looking for, preferably, a game for 2 players that is a very good game of strategy, but has very little to no luck.

For example: Twilight Struggle, Hannibal, Commands and Ancients, etc.

Not limited to just those 3, I looked at the rules as well as the forums of such games but still want a collection of player's experiences with them as well as an idea as to whether the game is driven more by player choices or how the cards/dice happen to fall.

Any help is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games you listed do have some luck, as far as card draws. So I assume you mean you don't want random die rolls to determine what happens.

Check out these:

Starcraft
Ka-Ching - "perfect information" card game
Go - best strategy game I know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on the low luck factor, I might recommend Tara, Project Kells -- here's the BGG entry as there are several games by the same name.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/19665

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's Triumph

No dice, no cards, superb game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Edwards Jr
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.....Chess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/18745

Dynasties

2-players --both have the same number of armies and start with the exact same deck of cards.

A game takes 20-30 minutes--but involves tough choices regarding card use, since most cards can only be used once during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
suggestions
Well, most wargames are going to have some luck but the overwhelming amount of depth in most of them will balance that out. The luck just makes the game less predictable.

Some to look into:
Dungeon Twister a very deep, luck free(some hidden info), It has some superficial similarity to chess but with a lot more theme and cool stuff to do.
I always recommend the Columbia Block games, especially:
Hammer of the Scots-awesome it has luck with both cards and dice but there is still a lot to think about.
Also
Rommel in the Desert
EastFront
Crusader Rex
The rules for Rommel and Eastfront are fairly complex, though.

Napoleon's Triumph is luck free(hidden info) but takes some time to wrap your mind around, its quite unconventional but beautiful and deep once you figure it out. Read the rules first to see if it's of interest-they're available on the publishers site.

As far as the ones you've mentioned, I own Hannibal but haven't played it yet; it's fairly complex with a 25 or so page rulebook so I'm not sure if thats an issue or not. C&C might be good but it has plenty of luck with dice and cards as well. I've not played Twilight Struggle but I have playd 1960 the Making of the President and found that it had way too much luck for my taste. Most of the games you mentioned probably have more luck than the average wargame.

You could also give Go a shot if you haven't yet-nothing deeper(or more luck-free) than that. It's not very fun for me but it is much-loved here.

Also give this light wargame metalist a gander-each entry leads to another geeklist and page 2 has the most recommended games. You'll find lots of options:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22861

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It's not clear to me if you want a wargame/simulation specifically, or are open to more general games, e.g. abstract or thin theme strategy (Go, Trax, Hive, Gipf project [Gipf, Dvonn, Tzaar, etc], Clans, Gipsy King, Travel Blokus, Through the Desert, Hey That's My Fish, Rumis, Terra Nova, Glik, Pick & Pack, Hex, Boxes, etc etc all have no or minimal luck) or economic (Power Grid leaps to mind) etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Ackles
Cuba
APO
AE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few games I think you might enjoy that involve both strategy and some deduction would be first MR JACK http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/21763 which is quick but the strategy can be great and will change depending on whether you are Jack or the Inspector. You can even play this game online to get an idea at http://mrjack.biludi.de/.

Another game would be COLD WAR: CIA vs KGB http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/24742 which is very reasonable at only $15 and involves strategy as to what you think the other player is going to do. This is also solely a two person game but for such a simple concept it is quite engaging.

Lastly I would recommend 221B Baker St. Sherlock Holmes and the Time Machine http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2119 and 221B Baker Street and Expansions http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1275 these are not just two person games and though there is some luck as you are rolling dice it does involve a bit of strategy with which clues to block and some deduction on deciphering the clues that you discover. There are a number of expansion cases so you can play quite a while without the risk of running out of new cases.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thanks to everyone for the suggestions, they have helped quite a bit in narrowing things down. Although I suppose I wasn't as specific as I should have been.

As far as what I am looking for, preferably a game with a deeper theme. I already have a few abstract games, including Go, which I really enjoy, as well as several thin theme games.

The suggestions and Geeklists above have helped out quite a bit looking in the wargame area, I also like the idea of Mr. Jack.

Anyways, that's kind of the direction of leaning to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/31975

retsami

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
oatesatm wrote:

I am looking for, preferably, a game for 2 players that is a very good game of strategy, but has very little to no luck.

For example: Twilight Struggle, Hannibal, Commands and Ancients, etc.

Not limited to just those 3, I looked at the rules as well as the forums of such games but still want a collection of player's experiences with them as well as an idea as to whether the game is driven more by player choices or how the cards/dice happen to fall.

Any help is appreciated.

ANY of the GIPF series.

I've played TALUVA a few times (3-4 player) and find that one lite and interesting...Nice components too!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Barnes
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
You could try 'Triagonal' ~ Game option (1)

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't like abstracts.. but they tend to have little to no luck...

However, Reef Encounter is quite good...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I forgot about the old classic Conquest, a luckless pure strategy game that's in a gray area between abstract and ancient-warfare-themed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bus is the best no luck game available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert I. Swenson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
May I suggest Homeworlds?
Binary Homeworlds (the two player variant) is a fantastic semi-abstract. Very deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cochran
United States
Pittsburg
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
cull wrote:
The games you listed do have some luck, as far as card draws. So I assume you mean you don't want random die rolls to determine what happens.

Check out these:

Starcraft

I also suggest Go. It's the perfect strategic game. Go is the game Chess wants to be. Best of all there are dedicated go servers hosting thousands of players. Finding a game is easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
ScatCat wrote:
cull wrote:

Check out these:

Starcraft

I also suggest Go. It's the perfect strategic game. Go is the game Chess wants to be. Best of all there are dedicated go servers hosting thousands of players. Finding a game is easy.

Go is the game Chess wants to be. That's a great joke. You made my day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cochran
United States
Pittsburg
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's a little tongue in cheek, but I mean what I say. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Faithfull
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
...then you're a little on the dim side. They're entirely different games, one is about area control while the other is about capturing one piece. I play both and enjoy both about the same but in very different ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cochran
United States
Pittsburg
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There's no need to be rude or insulting. As with everything your experiences will vary. My opinion is obviously different from yours.

edit: I do find it interesting you rank Go a perfect 10 and Chess a 9 though....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Apples are the fruit that Oranges want to be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ebel
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
designer
I suppose you are looking for a game with a war scenario. perhaps you dont like the abstrakts.
Anyway, please have a look on my game "PONTE DEL DIAVOLO". You can play it at yuccata.de
The more you will play it, you will see, there is more strategy then you suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.