Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
no, but is that the same "Boomer" that hosts Math Trades? If so that is worrying.... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's married to BGG user illicit, you could try contacting her, but curiously enough she was also last seen here on 12/17...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sheffield
United States
Aberdeen
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at his house for a math trade late last year. I know they were supposed to have a gameday this weekend. Perhaps one of the raleigh folks will have more information in a day or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kensheffield wrote:
I was at his house for a math trade late last year. I know they were supposed to have a gameday this weekend. Perhaps one of the raleigh folks will have more information in a day or two.

Thanks. we know that Boomer has had various personal and real-life issues in the past. All that is needed is a "I'm here and ok" post along with a reasonble schedule to make good on the games (the GeekGold that Boomer owes should only require a BGG log in).

thanks for the update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought someone was bringing back a long-dead thread here. My mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He disappeared for quite some time in the past, leaving a lot of trades hanging. His girlfriend made a ton of enemies in his absence. He came back, posted a "goodbye to BGG" open letter, then after feeling quitter's remorse, he had the entire thread deleted and pretended it never happened.

Maybe he changed his mind. Again.

Did he not fulfill his end of some trades (again)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember his last disappearance too.
Apparently he's developing a history of being erratic here. I doubt he's a scammer, but I'm beginning to suspect a bit of flakiness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Balvin
United States
Los Angeles
CA - California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, i never received one of my games. i'm kind of surprised if this has happened before that he would be allowed to run this. the last person you'd expect to get screwed over by is the guy in charge of a trade. but he never responded to me other than approving the trade offer...so what now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be interesting, if he does come back, to see if people are as forgiving as last time. I assumed he started running math trades to generate good will and to dump off his Geekgold. Looks like neither will happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this gets filed under the addage, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff (boomer) has been on the geek since 2002, I don't think he is is deliberately ignoring folks, but that something serious has happened as he also hasn't visited the geek since mid-December.

It is surprizing that no one that knows him personally from his local gaming group(s) has been able to come on and give some info, but it could just be they don't know either. But assuming Jeff himself is able to return to the geek, I'm sure he will make things right again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone needs to calm down!

Boomer is a good person.

The first time this happened I think lots of mess was going on in his life. I just hope this time *that* part isn't repeating.

Give me a little time to contact his wife and find out what's going on.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Jordan
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Last time as soon as I heard about this I came on, apologized, sent games right away, and gave tons of geek gold away for free... but still you want to complain about me? You people need lives. Seriously. Boomer wasn't aware he had to send anything else out and is online now trying to figure out who needs what.

Thanks Terri, I appreciate you. You're a good person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
illicit wrote:
Last time as soon as I heard about this I came on, apologized, sent games right away, and gave tons of geek gold away for free... but still you want to complain about me? You people need lives. Seriously. Boomer wasn't aware he had to send anything else out and is online now trying to figure out who needs what.

Thanks Terri, I appreciate you. You're a good person.

I'm sorry, I have to comment on this.

Not a single person complained about you. The closest anyone came was someone mentioning that you made some enemies in Boomer's absence.

It's not cool to say that "you people need lives." When someone makes a trade in good faith, and the other party does not respond in a timely fashion, it's absolutely their prerogative to question what happened to the missing party. And frankly, most of the posts here were not only incredibly civil, but were of the nature of "he's probably fine, just give it some time."

That, illicit, is not a complaint.

Others expressed concern that Boomer seemed to be reverted to a pattern that concerned many people in the past. You even mention it: "Last time as soon as I heard about this ..." So you can see why people would be worried; J.L. Robert bluntly states as much.

But beyond that, everyone is (for the most part) supportive and understanding. JeffyJeff expresses his confidence that Boomer will make things right. Davido and kensheffield say similar things. No one was outright rude. And yet you come in here and attack the group as a whole?

Drew's posting was eerily prescient, and to be blunt I'm not surprised that his prediction came true.

I admit I was following this thread in the same way you might rubberneck on the freeway when you pass a police car--you're curious to see what bad things are happening. I find it very sad that Boomer is, once again, not the one to come in here and make things right. He obviously has a pattern of these sorts of things.

Obviously life gets in the way sometimes; I'm no stranger to that. But a man has to know his limits. When the Cabin Fever math trade ended and I found myself overwhelmed with all the shipping I had to do, on top of work and school, I took a step back from trading (an addiction, I admit). I found my breaking point, and I pulled back.

Based on incident and the last, it sounds like Boomer needs to take a long hiatus from trading. It's fairly obvious he can't keep up with things. There's no shame in that...but it's not fair for the people on the other end of things.

And it's certainly not fair for you to come in here and start insulting people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:
Not a single person complained about you. The closest anyone came was someone mentioning that you made some enemies in Boomer's absence.

This from above:

Quote:
He disappeared for quite some time in the past, leaving a lot of trades hanging. His girlfriend made a ton of enemies in his absence.

I presume that this is Amy, and that this is what she was referring to. If that's the case, then her comment isn't entirely unfounded.

That being said Carl, I do agree with you about the apparent tar-and-feather job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
anglotiger wrote:
Quote:
He disappeared for quite some time in the past, leaving a lot of trades hanging. His girlfriend made a ton of enemies in his absence.

I presume that this is Amy, and that this is what she was referring to. If that's the case, then her comment isn't entirely unfounded.

Thanks for your agreement. That said, the quote is a statement of fact, not a complaint, insofar as it provided background material for the discussion. And frankly, I took issue with illicit's tone as well as the substance: She took her anger out on the entire group, and not for the first time as I recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, deja vu. The guy disappears, leaves social and legal responsibilities unfulfilled for the second time and the girlfriend/wife appears in a flash of light telling everyone concerned they're ungrateful nolifes.

Cute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amy is actually no longer Jeff's girlfriend, but is now his wife.

I too find Amy's reply weird. As my reply in this thread and others, as well as other fellow geeks, lots of us were concerned something bad happened. Ie. a serious illness or death.

Well as least it thankfully both Jeff and his wife (Amy) are alive. I can stop worrying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've followed both of the episodes involving Boomer/Illicit as an interested observer.

I care about both of them, and their reputations.

Boomer needs to take care of his own responsibilities in this case. If it takes time, it takes time. I am sure that people simply want communication as to the time frame.

Amy ought to support her husband behind the scenes in this case, because something happens to her when she is defending her husband. She appears angry and defensive, and resorted to insults now on both occasions.

That helps no one. Instead, it stokes the angst into flames which previously had been smoldering amidst the confusion of the interested parties.

Any response from Boomer would be helpful. Now, I know that within the myriad of possible issues facing him, there may be something which could prevent that.

Many issues can immobilize a person. (I've been there)

Anyway, the situation as it stands seems to be simply that there is a lack of communication from Boomer as to the status of trades which have not been completed on his end.

If he can reply to the parties with an update and a time-frame, or a request for a bit of grace, I am sure that the issue neet not be blown out of proportion. No need to do so in an open forum, either.

People can vouch for him and defend him if they wish. That doesn't change the need for communication from him. If Amy can do so with diplomacy, than that would be fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amy/Illicit-

thanks for coming on board and checking in w/ the Geek. There is one GG item that needs to be sent that should be easy to resolve.

The OWLG is a wonderful tool and JeffyJeff keeps his summaries on line. From SizeMatters mathtrade:

http://activityclub.org/bgg/26875-results-summary.html

Boomer's obligations are:

Boomer : (6 trades)
-- gives "8 Crown royal drawstring bags (15)" to wjohnston (96)
-- gives "Dixie - Bull Run (81)" to Ninjabob (115)
-- gives "Nacho Loco (79)" to jpbartleby (203)
-- gives "Carcassonne - The Count of Carcassonne (80)" to jpact (319)
-- gives "Settlers of Catan - The Great River (19)" to kyrasantae (171)
-- gives "35 geekgold (317)" to asgelb (24)

And what they said-every take a deep breath, relax, count backwards from 10 in ancient Sanskrit and give illicit/boomer a chance to put humpty dumpty back together again.

edit: enough time has passed, that I'm not sure who is owed what from which trade (see note below regarding Festivus math trade), but the general idea: the OWLG summaries are for now a "permanent record" of who is owed what. Disclaimer-I am NOT owed anything by Boomer, but I have traded with him in the past, and he has always 'made good'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davido wrote:
give illicit/boomer a chance to put humpty dumpty back together again.

...and again, and again, and again...

Also, please add me to the list of free geekgold recipients this time around. I just need a few more for a geekbadge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
diehard4life wrote:
If he can reply to the parties with an update and a time-frame, or a request for a bit of grace, I am sure that the issue neet not be blown out of proportion.

This is happening, at least in the case of the items I'm due from the Festivus math trade. Jeff has contacted me, and indicated that he'll be sending them out this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Every man is as God made him, aye, and often worse." -Miguel de Cervantes
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:
diehard4life wrote:
If he can reply to the parties with an update and a time-frame, or a request for a bit of grace, I am sure that the issue neet not be blown out of proportion.

This is happening, at least in the case of the items I'm due from the Festivus math trade. Jeff has contacted me, and indicated that he'll be sending them out this morning.

Same here. He sent me a shipping number, and I checked it this evening - the post office says it's on its way. So he is making good on his trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really great to hear.

Thanks for posting the positive news. -C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
That is really great to hear.

Thanks for posting the positive news. -C

I doubt anyone thought he'd never make good on what he owed others. It's more that he makes these commitments, then seems to just wander off mindless of them until threads like this appear and his wife gets irritated at people who are unhappy with Jeff's apparent nonchalance towards his obligations.

It just shouldn't take all this drama to fulfill obligations you incur.
And the sad fact is that although I get the sense I'd love to have his wife cover my back in a knife fight, in a diplomatic situation I certainly would not.
It doesn't help Jeff's reputation for his wife to come here and trash folks while he says nothing, even if he finally makes good on his obligations.

Personally, his reputation as a trader will always be suspect to me from now on, not as a scammer, but as someone irresponsible. I don't want to have to chase down promises made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.