Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have two questions I am embarrassed to ask after just playing Agincourt:

1. How can I tell if a unit has a short sword or a long sword? Are red banner (heavy) units automatically brandishing long swords?

2. When playing the battlelore card, do orange bonus shields count for anything? i.e. do they mean I can choose any unit or do they mean that I lose a unit to command?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need for embarrassment

All foot units (that have swords anyway) have short swords - only mounted units have long swords in the current game (future units may differ - I thought that perhaps the Iron Dwarves Clan Chiefs' claymores would constitute long swords, but they do not).

Bonus Strikes and Flags rolled for orders using the BattleLore card are duds. No order is giving for either of those rolls.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1) You look at the banner type. If it has the "cross-sword symbol" that matches the short sword summary card, then it is a short sword. If it looks like a mounted unit carrying a long sword - also matching the symbol on the long sword summary card, then it is a long sword.

The color doesn't really dictate the weapomn type as the short sword is carried by green, blue and red units. Most foot units carry the short sword. Most mounted units carry the long sword.

2. The orange Sword on Shield (as well as the Retreat Banner) do not count for anything. Just red, blue, and green helmets order the same number of red, blue, green units, respectively. The lore symbol is a "wild" allowing you to order any unit of your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.D.W
United States
San Angelo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, maybe this will help!

These guys are a red banner units carrying short swords, the crossed swords on the banner are the indicator.

These guys red banner calvery carrying long swords, indicated by the horseman on the banner. As far as I know only calvery carry longswords.

When you roll the sword and shield(yellow) when using the BattleLore command card, you gain nothing from it. No order is issued from that die.

I hope that helps clarify things a bit for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't beat triple confirmation within 20 minutes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: determining weapon type and question on the battlelore c
toddrew wrote:
Can't beat triple confirmation within 20 minutes

True!

After playing command and color: ancients it felt redundant to have a separate weapon (long sword) when it only is used by heavy (red) cavalry. I suppose it is for future expansions. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Long sword is used by all mounted units: green, blue, or red.

I think they differentiated between "long sword" and "mounted" just in case they wanted to split them apart in a future expansion. Like some of the other "just in case" things they came up with, it will probably never come to light and cause confusion in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazytalk wrote:
Good question, maybe this will help!

These guys are a red banner units carrying short swords, the crossed swords on the banner are the indicator.

These guys red banner calvery carrying long swords, indicated by the horseman on the banner. As far as I know only calvery carry longswords.

When you roll the sword and shield(yellow) when using the BattleLore command card, you gain nothing from it. No order is issued from that die.

I hope that helps clarify things a bit for you.

Thanks for the illustrated reply, btw. Nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.