United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeti Slalom is an extremely light game. If your children are fascinated by snowboarding, enjoy calculating probabilities (or don’t care about them at all and just want to move the cards around), and for some reason you have no other games you could possibly play, then you _might_ consider playing this. Adults should steer clear at all times.

Strangely, I wish that the snowboarding teams, instead of being represented by cards, would have been plastic or wood figures. At least then I could attribute owning this game to an attack of parakeetitis instead of just an unwise purchasing decision.

The board game is a simple five rows across by six columns down. The top row is the starting area, and all that occurs there is that snowboarders are played from your hand/team to there.

Each of the next five rows is almost identical. Each has a picture of a yeti to the right and left of the row, each row having a different image. Those up and down the left side are on a green background, those on the right, red. These correspond to the cards in the deck. There are two of each combination of these color/image pairs.

These cards are dealt out evenly to the players at the start, and each player is also given a number of snowball cards, basically reroll chits. Every player takes a team of snowboarders, four cards numbered 1-4.

Each turn a player may either: (1) Start a new boarder in the start area, (2) Move a boarder by shifting the card to any free space adjacent, as long as it is not back uphill (towards the start), or (3) Play a Yeti card.

The first two require little detail. If you manage to reach the bottom of the hill (past the fifth row of yeti) then you score points equal to the number on the card (1-4). There is a multiplier for placing first through fourth.

The last action, placing a yeti, allows you to use the cards in your hand to try to bump off the other snowboarders. By placing a yeti with the correct image, you are allowed to roll a die to attempt to remove any boarders on the appropriate row. The closer you are to the side with the color you play, the better the chance of a hit. Only the farthest column is safe from a yeti of the opposite color.
If you manage to unseat one or more of the boarders (you can not affect your own team, and you hit all opponents in the four spaces within range of your yeti that your roll was good enough to affect) you claim the cards to add to your score, but without any multipliers.

So the game comes down to selecting the best course down the track based on whatever limited knowledge you have at the time. If you have both of a particular yeti image/color, then one spot become safe, for example.

The game ends when all boarders are scored, either by finishing or by being bumped-off.

The game is a dice fest. The snowball rerolls assure that if you have a very critical roll, you have multiple shots at making it.

There is nothing to recommend about this game. I can’t see children being particularly amused by it, and I am almost certain this applies to adults. Most games I dislike I can at least say that I get the feeling that there is a game somewhere in there. Here there isn’t. Spend your money elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.