Subject: Grammar question: Suspension of belief or disbelief? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: grammar_rant [+] [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider any movie you've seen which uses special effects or a plot device to portray something outside of normal experience. In order to enjoy the movie, do you have to suspend belief? or disbelief? Are the two interchangeable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The usual term is "Suspension of disbelief", but this is a question on terminology, not grammar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you consider your belief to be a pair of pants, then feel free to suspend it. I have suspended my belief in you, until further notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Consider any movie you've seen which uses special effects or a plot device to portray something outside of normal experience. In order to enjoy the movie, do you have to suspend belief? or disbelief? Are the two interchangeable?

Since the movie is trying to get you to believe in things that are not true, then you must suspend your disbelief in order to believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Sounds like you wasted good money on a bad movie.

Oh, I don't know... My statement could easily describe the greatest science fiction and fantasy films ever made.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mister Crabby and that puppet lady are exactly corect. To further elucidate, a suspension is the result of evenly distributing a nondissolvable pariculate matter throughout a fluid so that the small particles are suspended. Had the matter been dissolvable like salt, the result would be a solution. Therefor, a suspension is called for in the absence a good solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Right. You're temporarily ignoring (suspending) the part of you that says, "there's no way THAT could happen" (disbelief).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have permanently suspended my disbelief in Stephen Glenn, for example. But only because I've met him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, if you suspend disbelief then you believe in something. The two 'negatives' ('suspend' [halt, hold, stop] and 'dis-') cancel each other out, as it would with the phase "I don't know nuthin'" (='I know something')

Or maybe the original phrase is right, and is just one of those quirks of language. For example, why do we say an alarm has gone "off" when it has clearly gone "on"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
I have permanently suspended my disbelief in Stephen Glenn, for example. But only because I've met him.

And I'll confess that once MisterCranky appeared with an Alan Moon microbadge my suspension of disbelief regarding his reliability as a BGG member was shattered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Hmmm, if you suspend disbelief then you believe in something. The two 'negatives' ('suspend' [halt, hold, stop] and 'dis-') cancel each other out, as it would with the phase "I don't know nuthin'" (='I know something')

That would be the point. You're supposed to believe in the film, despite the fact that what it's presenting to you is nonsense. Because it's nonsense, your default reaction is not to believe it, so it requires you to actively stop disbelieving, i.e. believe. "Suspension of disbelief" because it's a temporary action; you put your disbelief on hold for the duration of the film, making it more enjoyable, but you don't come out of accepting whatever the nonsense is as truth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
It's suspending disbelief.

That is unless you legitimately believe in the Force, flying monkeys, zombies (uh, which I actually do), the Game Grid of Tron, talking fish (or cars and toys)...

Suspending belief is what you do when you watch documentaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.