Marcin S
Poland
Warszawa
EU
flag msg tools
M s b S
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday the four of us (my wife and I, with our two friends) tried Martian Coasters for the first time. I must admit that this was our second attempt at playing with pyramids. The first time we played Treehouse - and it didn't click for anybody: too simple, too random, not really fun. After the "Treehouse incident" I just could not get them to play any pyramid game. The shadow of Treehouse has fallen upon our gaming habits.
Anyway - this time, just after a session of TTR: Marklin, we needed some quick/fun filler. I suggested the Coasters, and hesitantly the people agreed. Explaining the rules took me two-three minutes, which is quite good. I made one mistake: I thought that the Dig action can be used on one pyramid at a time.
As a result of the misinterpretation, our first game had some slow moments, when two of us had two of their pieces already on the target square, and waited for Dig to be able to move the last one. But anyway - the first game was fun enough for us t try it again. I think it was the mechanics of Coaster movement that made the game interesting.
The second game - when we started using the "real dig rules" was much more dynamic. The Coasters moved back and forth, the pieces moved, nested, and tree'd. The two games only lasted about 30 minutes in total, and we really had a good time. And I won two times, which is always nice.
The main conclusion that I drew from this play is that Martian Coasters is a MUCH better introduction to the Icehouse world than Treehouse. I think that now it will be much easier for me to make my group play some other pyramid game. I suppose that Looney Labs should be advertising the Coasters much more. And if you're considering taking a dive into the pyramid world, be sure to get some Coasters too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First Martian Coasters session (and second icehouse atte
I too have found MC to be much more fun than Treehouse. I've yet to meet a gamer who prefers Treehouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.