Subject: Duel and Spice Harvest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Plummer
United States
Allston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I recently acquired a copy of AH Dune and I'd like to add the Dule and Spice Harvest. I've found rules for both, but there are no DIY files or exact card descriptions to make my own. I'm hoping there might be DIY files on another website. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.sorvan.com/games/dune/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Vaca
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterHalco wrote:
I recently acquired a copy of AH Dune and I'd like to add the Dule and Spice Harvest. I've found rules for both, but there are no DIY files or exact card descriptions to make my own. I'm hoping there might be DIY files on another website. Thanks.

Unless you are very familiar with the base game and just don't mind ruining a perfectly balanced game, I'd recommend just saying "no" to the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with jeffrey. The expansions, in particular the dueling one don't add to the game and in many ways detract from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I never much cared for the Duel expansion (battles are already interesting enough and, while thematic, the "Kanly" concept seemed pasted-on here); but Spice Harvest is an interesting pre-game sub-game. It is a highly thematic and believable prequel to the action on the planet, and can be used to "rationalize" the positions the factions begin with; however, as noted earlier, it does change the way the game starts and can be un-balanced compared to the set-piece holdings of the standard game.

If you've tried Spice Harvest and just don't care for it as a game in itself, then you are more likely to not like what it does for the main game start positions. I rather liked it myself and found the variations it created gave the game new life after a lot of playings. Hence, I would only recommend it only for folks who have played the base game a lot and can handle the variations. It is rather like using random tile laying and numbering of the hexes in Settlers of Catan except the players are causing the variations rather than blind fate.

Perhaps an even better example would be the difference between using the pre-made "balanced" universe in Twilight Imperium III compared to the semi-random one that results from the player-driven setup in that game's basic setup routines. Another game that comes to mind is Imperial - after using the pre-set (balanced) Bond distribution suggested for the basic game, most players prefer to use the "bid for Bonds" set up system.

If you like games that let you "prepare the battlefield" you're to play on, then Spice Harvest does for Dune what the original set-up mechanism in TI3 and the "advanced" set-up in Imperial does for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter White
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
I can imagine Spice Harvest could be enjoyable to real veterans who both want something a little different and already have a well-honed sixth sense on who needs to be ganged up on.

But for newbies, it just adds a big fat random factor at game start that is likely to hurt enjoyment, and impede getting a feel for the character of the various factions.

My problems with Duel are (1) it seems like a fancy excuse to see leaders die, and the game does not really need that kind of benefit, and (2) the faction leader is very powerful in context, making go for broke attacks by lesser factions very effective and efficient (albeit at a risk).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.