Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog to review movies. Then I started thinking about how immensely popular blogs are. Is there really even a blog audience? I mean, how self-important am I if I expect a bunch of strangers to even care about what I think?

Maybe I will just keep a personal journal instead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, blog angst. It never goes away.

What Koldfoot said. I've been at it for about 8 months, and I've enjoyed the process just fine. I'm just now getting to the point that I enjoy the product. My audience is composed of about 5 regulars. Some topics always generate comments, and some reliably don't. The fact that I just posted a long Best Of 2007 music entry that my meager readership will groan at and ignore doesn't bother me at all.

Do it for you. Write about your interests and concerns. Have fun with formatting the entries, including images and graphics, the layout. Play with it for a few months, and then send the link out to friends. Don't be surprised when half of them never look at it. Some people hate blogs and can't explain why.

People will link to your blog from unrelated Google searches. I learned from my StatCounter program that someone in Lodz, Poland has repeatedly linked to mine and looked around based on a search for "snuggle cutie song". I've had a few dozen one-time hits because I had an article on Ikea vs Crate and Barrel furniture assembly, and many more because I reviewed a beer you can get at Trader Joe's.

Even if you are a really good writer, you probably won't get repeat hits from strangers. Think about how many blogs YOU visit per day. So, again, do it for you, but be aware that others may be taking note.

Good luck and have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Koldfoot said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.