Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Which is correct? Which works better?

Option 1:

6 players
Game begins:
Each player, in turn, flips over a card from the expedition deck. Divide up jewels as per the rulebook. Only once all 6 players have flipped a card do you have a decision to make (stay or go).

Once you've decided if you are staying or going, you repeat this process for each player left. If there are 3 players left, you will flip a total of 3 cards before you make your decision.

If just one player is left, he makes his decision after each flip.

Option 2:

6 players
Game begins:
Each player, in turn, flips a card from the expedition deck. After each flip, pause the game while every player decides if they are staying for just one more flip.

This causes a decision to be made after each and every flip.

Thank you for any input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Cortens
Belgium
Diest
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Correct = option 2
Works best = option 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
quinimod wrote:
Correct = option 2
Works best = option 2

Hm...

After re-reading the not-very-good rules (and prior to posting this), I was going to say correct = option 2 and works best = option 1.

We've been playing incorrectly for a couple weeks now... blech. No reason for the rulebook to be so ambiguous with such a simple game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with option 2, slightly modified. There are certain situations in which no thinking person would leave the cave.

Example: The first tile has no gems left on it. Nobody gains anything by leaving, and there is no danger of losing treasure on the next draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 2, or else people will be dying left and right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Option 2, or else people will be dying left and right.

Hey Geo -

That's what prompted me to ask this, actually. I had been playing option 1 for a couple weeks, and it was fun. But yesterday, I taught the game to a new group, and we automatically died without any decisions 3 times in a row. I still think that is statistically improbable, but it made me revisit the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use option 2, but one person is in charge of flipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither, according to Incan Gold rules, which is an authorized variant of Diamant.

The start player deals all cards of an expedition, with players choosing to stay or go after each card (unless no treasure has been placed). This makes the game flow a lot faster and means the deck and tableau don't have to be in reach of all players--important for eight! When an expedition ends, the person to his left is dealer for the next expedition.

A variant that is very good for playing with children or those easily confused (the ones who constantly ask, "What do I do now?") is to have a single dealer. Since I use Incan Gold as an introductory game for new gamers, I commonly just deal the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Neither, according to Incan Gold rules, which is an authorized variant of Diamant.

The start player deals all cards of an expedition, with players choosing to stay or go after each card (unless no treasure has been placed).
Diamant doesn't say to do this as I remember.

We always take turns flipping cards. It's fun because everybody gets to flip cards frequently.

And yes, definitely, after *EACH FLIP* you have an option to stay or go (as has been confirmed). We always give that option even if there is no reason to turn back. It does no harm and (since we almost always play with kids) it keeps things more consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

The start player deals all cards of an expedition, with players choosing to stay or go after each card (unless no treasure has been placed).

So, in Incan Gold, if a disaster is flipped there is no option to go back and take what you've got with you? You have to stay and be at the mercy of the next card flip?

This is a significant difference from Diamant, where the players have to decide whether to go on before every card flip, regardless of what was last flipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

So, in Incan Gold, if a disaster is flipped there is no option to go back and take what you've got with you? You have to stay and be at the mercy of the next card flip?

This is a significant difference from Diamant, where the players have to decide whether to go on before every card flip, regardless of what was last flipped.

it's the same as diamant, what he meant by "unless no treasure has been placed" is that if the first x flips are all dangers, there's no reason to go back because no one has collected treasure yet, so to make things quicker you can skip the vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

A variant that is very good for playing with children or those easily confused (the ones who constantly ask, "What do I do now?") is to have a single dealer. Since I use Incan Gold as an introductory game for new gamers, I commonly just deal the whole game.

This is the way we play. Since children always play this with us, it makes the game quicker and easier for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.