Subject: A New Mosaic Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read through the rules articles here and on the DOW site, and I don't think this has been answered. What has been answered is that you can build two mosaics in either order and claim multiple sanctuaries after you build, even if one of the tiles you built could have ruined your sanctuary.

But, what if you can afford to build two mosaics, two mosaics are in the stack that can be built, BUT if you build either of the top two mosaics, the other one will not fit?

So what happens?
1. Are you simply not allowed to build two mosaics?
2. Is the second mosaic you bought disqualified and so you toss mosaics so the second you buy is the last listed below?

If 2, can you, as usual, choose which of the top two mosaics to place and use the second one to invalidate the first one (which gives you a size two sanctuary instead of a size one sanctuary)?

Here's how this can happen. Here's the open space on the board:
tradetradetradetradetradetradetradetradetrade
tradetradetrade

And the mosaics left are (in order):
tradetrade
trade
tradetrade

tradetrade
tradetrade
trade

tradetradetradetrade
trade

tradetradetradetradetrade

(Sorry about the flashy graphic: the boundaries didn't show well using the blank Scrabble tile. Hit Esc in many browsers to stop the animation.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first impression is that you should only buy the top Mosaic, since if you buy both and use the second you have wasted your money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you buy them one at a time. You buy one, build it. Then, you buy a second. I don't think you can buy multiples at the same time, then choose the order in which you build them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
I believe you buy them one at a time. You buy one, build it. Then, you buy a second. I don't think you can buy multiples at the same time, then choose the order in which you build them.

DoW has so ruled. Indeed you can buy two mosaics, use each to form a sanctuary of the other's shape, and claim both. (You might not think this would ever happen, but it did just this Saturday.) The key is that building is considered an indivisible action, which is what leads to the problem in my original question. This is shown in the rules by the section about checking for unplayable mosaics happening after building one "(or more)" mosaics: if you built them one at a time, you could never check after "(or more)" mosaics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst you can purchase multiple mosaics and build them in any order, you still have to 'test' to see if the next tile on top of the pile will fit (otherwise it is discarded). So in your example, the second & third tiles would be discarded before you can buy them, but you could still buy the last one in the pile and create 2 single space sancturies
Hope this helps
cheers
Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.