Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope some of you might find this interesting. In April of 2007 I posted a variant called "Solomons Campaign Scenario." It was to be used as a learning exercise for new players to the game. I have successfuly used it in that manner a number of times. However, as I often play the "scenario" solo, I have tweaked it to some degree in order to add a little more realism, as well as to balance the variant somewhat. Before I go on, I would like to make it clear that I would not recommend using these "optional" rules when introducing the game to new players. The original intent was to "teach" the game. Therefore I was careful to keep the basic rules in play so that anything used in the variant could also be used in the regular game without confusion, once the new players learned the mechanics.

Now to the Optional Rules for the previously posted variant:

SCORING Change the scoring as posted in the Variant(4-07-2007)to:

6 points for controlling Guadalcanal
3 points for Port Moresby
3 points for Lae

Then to reflect the fact that, historically (Operation KA), Yamamoto wished to use the campaign to lure the US Fleet into a "decisive battle", so as to destroy it (as he had tried to do earlier at Midway), add the following scoring changes:

For each ship unit SUNK (either Japanese or American) add the "Transport" number of that unit (for example the Japanese would add one victory point for sinking a US Heavy Cruiser. Of course sinking Carriers and Battleships would bring more points, while Destroyers less). No points are awarded for damgaged ships. This scoring adjustment gives each side something else to consider, rather than just territorial objectives, and seems to reflect the historical reality of the campaign.

Naval Bombardment of Henderson Field Allow Japanese Battleships to bombard Air Units on Guadalcanal. This does not have to be a part of any other operation. Japanese Battleships are simply allowed to carry out an "Operations" move (independent of any "ground support" mission) where they move into the Guadalcanal hex and, if they remain in a bombardment task force (not competing for Sea Control), they are allowed to target Air Units on the base with a die roll of 5 or 6 being a "hit" which immediately reduces the Air Unit. The battleships can only bombard in this manner if other Japanese naval units are able to gain "sea control". Of course any battleships that are diverted to the struggle for sea control would not be allowed to bombard afterwards, as they would no longer be in a Bombardment task force. In the actual campaign the Japanese made use of this tatic on several occasions inflicting considerable losses in US planes. Heavy Cruisers were also used at times, but it seems that the pounding from the Battleships Kongo, Haruna, Hiei, and Kirishima made the greatest impact.

If you wish to add these optional rules to the original variant, it can be found under the VARIANT heading entitled "Solomons Campaign Scenario (Mini-game)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone else is interested (as I was), here is the link to the original post on the Solomons scenario.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1397351#1397351

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.