TransAmerica» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Finish someone else's route for them rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Here's a weird strategy. Normally, you want to lay tracks that get you as much closer to your cities as possible, while trying to avoid getting closer to any other cities. It's quite unusual to connect directly into someone else's city. However, when the round's about to end, this is actually a good strategy.

If you're paying pretty close attention, you usually have a good idea when someone is about to complete their connections. If it comes to your turn, and you think it's the last turn you'll get, it actually makes sense to connect someone else's city.

Of course you still want to get 2 links closer to your own cities. But if you have several options for where to do that, connect or get close to someone else's city. If you're right that the round will end before your next turn, then your score is the same either way. Your choice can affect other players' scores, however. Your best outcome will be if the round ends as soon after your turn as possible. Each player who gets a turn after you likely reduces their score penalty by 2. In the best case, you connect someone's city, and that player instantly wins the round. That player was going to finish anyway on their turn (or another player would before them).

In fact, even if you can only reduce the distance to your cities by 1 by connecting someone else's city, it might make sense. You cost yourself 1 point, but you likely cost several other players 2 points. In theory, if you cost more than half of them, it's an advantageous proposition. In practice, it depends on which players you cost, which are most likely to be those who come before you in the turn sequence (they have the longest before their next turn). Specific tactics about which players you want to cost points are a different topic.

So, you shouldn't be surprised in this game if you frequently see one player take their turn, and then another declare that they've connected their cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. I do this when the situation comes up on BSW, and new players raise their eyebrows. The extra turns that the other players are denied make the difference over a few rounds of play. Occasionally it can be a crap shoot, but if you have been watching the voids and where others lay tracks you can figure out who will get the penalties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I connect another player's last city with my first track placement - does the round end or may I place my second track - possibly creating 2 round winners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.