Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
arif ally
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Formula De and was wondering if there are any other good racing games out there. I own Roborally, I have tried Bolide but did not care for it. I have also played Race Day, but I have found it very hard to get people to play anything to with NASCAR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    You're talking just cars, right?

Ave Caesar is quick and light but fun, and republished as a kind of rocket ship/jet car game as Q-Jet 21xx. Worth a look.

I like Bolide, but I'm a math guy. No one else is interested in playing it with me.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mississippi Queen is a lot of fun as a uniquely-themed race game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
Daytona 500 is a NASCAR game, but it's worth a look.
Lighter than Formula de, with an auction element, but a good share of strategy in how you play your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Speed Circuit best as a serious game, but it's out of print. The last time Formula De was suggested, I made the counter suggestion of PitchCar, which I hadn't played. The game was a lot funner, faster, and more inclusive: we got the kids playing. Formula De is ok, but it's a long game without much in it.

There's a certain symmetry with Pitchcar: racing is a physical, kinetic, dexterity sport; and Pitchcar is a physical, kinetic, dexterity game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Adkins
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

Since you like Formula Dé, I strongly recommend that you check out TurfMaster. The complexity level is similiar but they are totally different games.

TurfMaster is my favorite race game and I do love a good race game. The one problem with this one is the price tag....it can really make you cringe. However, this game has fantastic production value and most importantly replay value. Yes! it is worth the money.

FYI www.boardsandbits.com currently has this on sale.

Best of luck on your hunt and happy gaming!

Rick

Damn Sag, I wish you lived closer....I really like Bolide, and I have the same problem you do...it just gathers dust cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If racing includes horse racing, Winners Circle is pretty good, easy to learn and teach. Good gateway game. Some screwage factor, it is light and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Das Motorsportspiel, though it may be difficult to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quentin1 wrote:
If racing includes horse racing, Winners Circle is pretty good, easy to learn and teach. Good gateway game. Some screwage factor, it is light and fun.

All true, but be aware that racing is the theme more than the activity. Your role as a player is more gambling and bluffing than racing. You'll find yourself making poor moves for somebody else's horse while they do the same to yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind the, well, cheapass components (or you're willing to mount the board nicely and get some nice components for it), Ben Hurt could work. Another one where you are betting, but in this one you're controlling your own chariot. You bid on cards that give you special moves/abilities during the race. Its going to be a bit more chaotic and random than Formula De; up to you whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing.

If what you like about Formula De is the simulation aspect, maybe not your thing, but if you play with customized cars and say "geez it would be cool to put a rocket launcher on this thing", it might be up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gonzalez
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty good list. If you like the idea of Daytona 500 Ave Caesar but want a little more strategy try Ausgebremst. It has some advanced rules that allow you to customize your card deck a bit, based on how you want to run the race.

Edit: To correct mistake caught by Stven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badinfo wrote:
Das Motorsportspiel, though it may be difficult to get.

I think it is the same way for MotorChamp. This does have the limitation in tracks....but the gameplay is fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few of my favorites that I would suggest. Listed by their type of racing:

car racing:
Daytona 500
Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix

boat racing:
Mississippi Queen

bike racing:
Um Reifenbreite

horse racing:
Winner's Circle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, I think you mean if you like the idea of Ave Caesar (as opposed to Daytona 500, which is what you said) but want some extra strategy, go for Ausgebremst.

Daytona 500 is a great game, but that's a whole different system. And I think you can still get it on eBay in the $25 range, a bargain. It's Daytona 500 that made me a racing game fan in the first place and set me on a quest for racing games that handle more than four players.

I'm a big fan of Royal Turf, though I haven't played the new ("Winner's Circle") edition. And Das Motorsportspiel is an excellent choice.

One fine game that hasn't been mentioned yet is the bicycle-racing game Breaking Away. It's very math-y but we've gotten a lot of play out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie I'm a big fan of racing games, and you've had several good suggestions so far. I agree with Sphere though that Winner's Circle is more a "betting" game than a "racing" game. My faves from those mentioned thus far are Um Reifenbreite and Mississippi Queen. I found Ave Caesar a bit disappointing after all the raves on the Geek--it's a bit too simple for my tastes. For a chariot-race with more bloodshed, try Circus Imperium. For races on the lighter side, check out Arena Maximus or the hoverboard(!) race game Vapor's Gambit. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best race game ever is RoboRally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony La Morte
United States
Chippewa Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speed Circuit, hands down. That is if you want to stay with automobiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Davis
United States
Greeneville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the Kramer car racing games use the same base system. You control all the cars on the track and can move any car by playing cards from your hand.
Niki Lauda's Formel 1
Formel 1 Nürburgring
Top Race
Daytona 500

This game is unique in presentation and lots of folks like it. You have your own deck of cards
The Stock Car Championship Racing Card Game

Bicycle racing - These all have team tactics (I think)
Um Reifenbreite
6-Tage Rennen
Breaking Away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Davis
United States
Greeneville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the Kramer car racing games use the same base system. You control all the cars on the track and can move any car by playing cards from your hand.
Niki Lauda's Formel 1
Formel 1 Nürburgring
Top Race
Daytona 500

This game is unique in presentation and lots of folks like it. You have your own deck of cards
The Stock Car Championship Racing Card Game

Bicycle racing - These all have team tactics (I think)
Um Reifenbreite
6-Tage Rennen
Breaking Away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other games that may fit the bill,

Formula Motor Racing - An abstract Knizia card game that is a lot of fun with 5-6 people. Fewer people loses some of the fun because of all the 'dummy' cars.

RASC (Real Action Stock Car) - Not necessarily NASCAR but the game is amazing at capturing the feel if you also play with the add-on realism rules. It uses an interesting type of dice that can increase the amount of risk depending upon how many are used.

The Great Space Race - Uses Robo-Rally like programming for a race through space. I believe that it had a bit more player interaction than Robo-rally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix fun racing game.

I personally find Ave Caesar a bit repetitive.

Someone mentioned Circus Imperium, it's one of my all time favorites. Is it a racing game. Yes. But, it give more the feel of gladiator fighting. I'm not sure it will scratch the same itch as most racing games. BUT, a VERY FUN game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Someone mentioned Circus Imperium...a VERY FUN game!

I have to agree about Circus Imperium. Unfortunately, I don't think it's in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sheffield
United States
Aberdeen
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
computerarif wrote:
I really like Formula De and was wondering if there are any other good racing games out there. I own Roborally, I have tried Bolide but did not care for it. I have also played Race Day, but I have found it very hard to get people to play anything to with NASCAR.

I'm quite the Race Game junkie. It would help alot if you could tell me what you like/dislike about the games you mentioned above. For example, how important is the theme? Some folks will race anything from slugs to starships while others only want stockcars. Do you need dice? A track? Anything along that line would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
Its Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Speed Circuit is good. Then there is Speed Circuit and, oh yeah, there is Speed Circuit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Henry
France
flag msg tools
Hi. Excuse my poor English (i'm French). You should test Rush n'Crush. You can free-download the beta version on BBG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.