Subject: Greyjoy's Gamble rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon K
Netherlands
Zaanstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some thoughts on yesterday’s session of a Game of Thrones. (no expansions) . I wanted to do a full write-up of this game, but thinking about it i realized that this is almost impossible to do. This game is full of hidden intentions and goals and failed plans that we’ll never again hear about. I was playing house Greyjoy and will tell you the story of their demise.

First Looks:

Greyjoy starts in the thick of it. We’ve played alot of 4 player games of aGoT, and we all now that both house Stark AND house Lannister are claiming the rich lands in the Neck(Seagard/Riverrun), west of which lies the island of Pyke in the Ironman’s Bay, home to the proud house of Greyjoy.

To play the game of thrones and to play to win, house Greyjoy must descend on the riches offered in Seagard / Riverrun with Seagard being an obvious first choice. All the other houses seem to have some kind of strong claim on the lands close to their starting positions but Greyjoy seems to not have this luxury. Grayjoy will be seen an invader the moment the game starts for all the obvious choices of expansion for Greyjoy are critical provinces. It seems Greyjoy needs an ally in either house Stark or Lannister or it will have to fight a two-front war from the get-go.

Also, Greyjoy adds some serious tension to the beginning of the game, it could potentially devestate itself or Lannister by engaging in naval warfare but even has the option to attack the Homeprovince of house Tyrell on the first turn of the game. No other house adds this much tension to the game on the first turn.

My Mistake # 1: Somehow i didnt *feel!* like putting too much effort in my diplomatic efforts for this game, which is obviously a big mistake to make in this game. Not really trying to gain allies or at least temporary peace had me playing defensive orders when they could have been used to consolidate power. I effectively manouvered myself in a position where every territory was “at the front” because of this unwillingness to negotiate. I think part of this unwillingness came from,

Mistake #2: Greyjoy’s Gamble. My strategy for the game revolved around a bit of a gamble. I was aware of this when i played and decided that it was worth the risk. The Gamble was to capture the provinces in the bay spreading as wide as possible to all the castles and cities for future mustering. I knew i could hold on to these for a few turns because of my supporting fleets in the ironmanbay. I got nervous on turn 3, when the muster didnt show up, and lost my chances on turn 6 when my aggressive actions where finally countered for good by house Stark and Lannister. The first mustering event turned up on turn 8 i believe. Too late for the Greyjoy’s sadly. Now i COULD blame the random mustering events and how they were a freak occurence and all that, but the point is that I knew this could happen and yet i choose to take the gamble and either would have gotten a really strong hold on the “Neck-Area” considering my support from the Bay, or simply put, i would fail miserably, which i did. My gamble also prevented me from seeking a close ally, because i relied on a muster event to happen BEFORE i would do that. Sort of a funny thing was, that house Tyrell also pursued a strategy that relied on mustering events and he too had to take the fall eventually.

Little Mistake #3: At some point I decided for an invasion of Highgarden the home province of Tyrell. I knew Tyrell still had their highest house-card but was convinced they wouldnt play it because he needed it in his much more fierce combat with the house of Baratheon. He won the battle against my invading force using his best card, but soon after lost the battle to Baratheon. This mistake on my part hurt me pretty bad but at this point i already sort of lost faith in having a chance of winning this game.

Little Mistake #4: On turn 1, house Stark attacked with his home-province force across a barrier (river) which isnt possible. This effectively threatened all my provinces from turn 1 on, which otherwise wouldnt be possible. We didnt notice this until late in the game but it wouldnt have changed my strategy and thus my fate.

Other Thoughts

It was fun! We only had mustering events in turn 8 and 9 ! but the game was still fun, and i think most people played a good game. Baratheon especially i think played a well balanced game, he won and he said he got lucky but he played a very balanced game. Stark was in a perpetual war with Greyjoy for the whole game and lost his fleet early to Baratheon. Lannister started not too strong, but got back on its feet really really well ! Still i wonder if it was their attack on Tyrell (in the back hehe) that gave Baratheon the way to victory. House Tyrell eventually got retired(reduced) to the little island called The Arbor to spend its days in quiet contemplation. The Greyjoys? they were still sailing the seas and raiding the shores for they do not sow.

It was another tense Game of Thrones and im looking forward to the next!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Guy
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that barrier between Stark and Greyjoy is easy to overlook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.