Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Couch
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive not played Runebound, but the Sands expansion intrigues me. What pieces from the original game are required to play with the expansion?

The one review I read through lookign at components, it seems like Sands has new characters, new encoutners, new map, so what is left?

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SchoonerTorrent wrote:
Ive not played Runebound, but the Sands expansion intrigues me. What pieces from the original game are required to play with the expansion?

The one review I read through lookign at components, it seems like Sands has new characters, new encoutners, new map, so what is left?

I'm suspecting your question really means: Could I just buy SoAK and play with that, without the core box? laugh

Well, no... but close. Big box expansions come with a "map overlay", which replaces the center of the board, but they don't include any of the life / exhaustion / experience / adventure counters.

Most importantly, SoAK does not include any market cards aside from the special allies.

I guess that, theoretically, someone could just buy SoAK plus 2-3 "Item & Ally Cards Expansions", make some custom tokens, stick with the characters included in the expansion, and that would work. But frankly, that seems like a lot of work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneCleric wrote:
I guess that, theoretically, someone could just buy SoAK plus 2-3 "Item & Ally Cards Expansions", make some custom tokens, stick with the characters included in the expansion, and that would work. But frankly, that seems like a lot of work.

This would be exceedingly difficult, as you wouldn't have any terrain dice... Good luck moving... :-)

The combat dice are easy enough to get elsewhere, being standard d10's, but unless you want to try to reproduce the terrain dice through some sort of chart, you're SOL...

Also, you won't have any (or at least, not enough) Experience/life/exhaustion/money/level tokens...

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
This would be exceedingly difficult, as you wouldn't have any terrain dice... Good luck moving... :-)

The combat dice are easy enough to get elsewhere, being standard d10's, but unless you want to try to reproduce the terrain dice through some sort of chart, you're SOL...

Actually, someone created "enhanced" color templates to glue on regular dice. I'm sure I've seen that in the files section...

Plus, extra terrain dice are also available for sale on FFG's website. So once again, it's technically feasible - I just don't think it's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Couch
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup pretty much. I like the concept of Runebound from what Iäve read, but was curious to see if I could get a taste without the large outlay of the central game. I know sometimes the expansions are just missing a few things here and there that I can scrounge, but market cards would be hard.

Ok, I guess I'll look for a cheap copy of Runebound core or something else to scratch that itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B G R
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent uses the same health/fatigue counters as Runebound (not the xp gems or upgrades mind you - though it has countless tokens you could sub), so if you had a copy of that it could help, but yeah your better off just getting the base game & seeing if you like that first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.