Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Heimburger
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For my birthday this year, one thing my wife gave me was this: "I will play with you three games of your choice."

This is a big deal for me, because she's not a gamer, or at least, she could live without games.

I've been trying for a good while now to find games that she'll play, and have had some success. She likes Bohnanza and Coloretto, among a few others. I bought TtR a little while ago with the hope that she'd play it and like it, too.

So I brought out TtR for b'day game #1. I explained the rules and how a turn goes, and off we went. She decided that she wanted to go first.

In the early turns, there were a couple of questions:

"I can't claim a route if I just drew a card, right?"
"Right."

But those questions disappeared quickly as she picked up the flow of the game.

Since only the two of us were playing, there wasn't much direct interaction/competition on the board, but that works out pretty well. She doesn't react well when I play to win a game that she's only just learning. (I think that's why she doesn't care for Carcassonne. I defeated her without mercy the first time she played with me. Not too smart...)

At the end of the game, she had completed a handful of tickets, and I had completed three.

Wife had: Denver-San Antonio, Winnipeg-Oklahoma City, Kansas City-Houston, Pittsburgh-Denver, and Chicago-somewhere (I don't remember right now)=54 points

I had: Portland-Phoenix, Seattle-New York, New-York-Atlanta=37 points (IIRC), and the longest route.

The end result: Me: 119, Wife: 118.

A close game, and she thought she'd beaten me until I put the 10 points on for the longest route, which elicited an enthusiastic "Ohhh!" from here, as she thought she had won.

But the real story here is that Wife likes TtR. She liked the train cars, and she enjoyed the ease of play of the game. She even said that I can ask her to play it again without counting it against my birthday total. Woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
World Cup time!!!! All work in the morning will include the tv being on Fox or Telemundo. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I got TTR:Europe for Christmas and my wife loves it. She even said it was a good idea to pick up TTR: Switzerland a few weeks later. She picked up the game very quick and now "reminds" her brother and I it is our turn is we are thinking a little to long about our next move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Hass
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've been trying for a good while now to find games that she'll play, and have had some success. She likes Bohnanza and Coloretto, among a few others. I bought TtR a little while ago with the hope that she'd play it and like it, too.

I'm in the same boat. My wife likes this game as well. She currently leads me 2-1. Other hits with her have been Drakon, Pirate's Cove and Winner's Circle.

Games I tried with her that failed were Runebound and Memoir 44 (rats!).

Sounds like a list is in order...or maybe there already is one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Heimburger
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m44 went over ok with Wife. If I set it up, she'll play. She likes the thought of destroying me one little plastic man at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Hundley
United States
Danville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, my wife and daughter (10 years old) love the game and picked it up quickly. Gonna try and break my wife in on Settlers or Carcassonne soon. We've played four games exclusively between the four of us and I have, somehow, won all four. The last game was the closest with me winning 109 to 107 over the wife by adding the final ten points with the longest route. I'm sure I'll pick up at least one of the spin-off's/expansions.

On another note, I'd really like to think I could interest her into playing Battlelore or Memoir someday...soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.