Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Return of the Heroes» Forums » Variants

Subject: Adding some simple, friendly, direct player interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Return of the Heroes and Under the Shadow of the Dragon and have played it several times (mostly 2-player with my wife, once 4-player). In order to allow some direct interaction between the players, I have come up with the following rules.

When you end your movement on the same space as one or more other characters, you must first resolve any combat encounter(s) that may be on that space, as normal. Then (if you haven't lost the combat round), as your action(s) you may first trade any combination of gold, solution stones items, or quests with the character(s) that is/are on that space. Also, if both characters agree, you may have a single combat trial with one of the characters. Each player chooses a combat trial type (close, ranged, or magic - they don’t have to be the same one), and applies any modifiers for experience and items. Both players roll the dice, and if both players fail the trial, the lowest roll is the loser of the combat. If both players pass the trial, keep rolling until at least one player loses the trial (if the combat goes multiple rounds, the subsequent trials can be with different combat types). The losing character will lose a life point, but will increase their rating number in the chosen combat type by 1. The losing character will lose a life point, but will increase their rating number in the chosen combat type by 1.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I have also added the rule that, when fighting any creature who has two or more life points (including the Nameless One and the Dragon), you may only do one round of combat per turn. As per the original rules, you may not leave the combat with the Nameless One or the Dragon once it has begun, but if you leave a combat with another multiple-hit crature on the board after inflicting at least one damage, that creature automatically heals. I find that the final battle with the Big Baddie is pretty much an all-or-nothing affair since if you win, the game is over, and if you lose, your game is pretty much over. So why not allow the possibility for one hero to be fighting the Nameless One while another hero is simultaneously fighting the Dragon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Increasing a combat rating when you fight other players may be too powerful. I kinda like the fact that it's hard to increase your stats, with there being a balance put in to prevent stats padding. I guess I'd have to try it to see.

I like the idea of allowing both the Nameless One and the Dragon in combat at the same time, since the game is basically a race to defeat one of them. That could add a lot of tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
ytter wrote:
Increasing a combat rating when you fight other players may be too powerful. I kinda like the fact that it's hard to increase your stats, with there being a balance put in to prevent stats padding. I guess I'd have to try it to see.

I like the idea of allowing both the Nameless One and the Dragon in combat at the same time, since the game is basically a race to defeat one of them. That could add a lot of tension.

Thank you for your thoughts! With regards to the increase in combat rating, the other player certainly doesn't have to agree to the trial! In fact, I've only ever done it once, since both players are likely to want to increase different combat skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out the rules for characters fighing amongst themselves in the RotH expansion Helden in der Unterwelt. Characters can fight each other but they use only their basic skill levels, regardless of how their skills might have improved through training and weapons and artifacts. Also, they can't kill each other - so if one of the players only has one life hit left, the other player cannot kill him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.