Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Sunday, Lambchops and I played our third game together. In all the games, I have played the Coalition while he has been the French. The first two games were learning the rules and figuring out what is supposed to happen. Both games were overwhelming Coalition victories due to a misunderstanding of Napoleon's strengths. Lambchops was aggressive, but probably too overly aggressive. He did not capitalize on Napoleons huge stack limit and got into way too many even or close to even odds battles. I was still on a luck streak (see my War of the Ring session) and kept landing 5s and 6s to his 2s and 3s. Both games ended by the third or fourth year. Taking these lessons learned, Lambchops formulated a new plan of attack.

The game started out along historical lines. Nappy liberated Bavaria, while the Austrian army moved out against Italy. Massena retreated to Rome while Nappy made the decision to chase down the Austrians instead of bothering with the Capital. Lambchop's plan had surfaced: he wanted to grind down all the available units ignoring the need to hold territory. The one remaining Austrian corps moved to take Spain, but Nappy hunted him down and removed him from the map.

Some feeble armies were recruited in Austria the next year due to hostilities with the Ottomans. The Russian forces under a 6 commander were set to march out, but the leader was forced to wait a turn. Nappy returned like a freight train and smashed the standing army to take control of Austria. Unfortunately, it was a bad winter and 3 units did not make it (1 French, and 2 Spanish)

The next year saw the Prussians join the coalition while the Russians became neutral. Nappy took the year to reposition troops all around Prussia with some intentions towards the Russians.

With no chance of standing up to the huge French forces, the Prussians moved out of the Capital and let the French walk in. At this point, the Coalition was up against the proverbial ropes, but the Battle of Trafalgar granting England rule of the seas and the Continental System coming into effect brought a glimmer of hope.

The Prussians and Spanish (with Joseph in power) immediately started their insurrection and the Russians fearing the power of the French behemoth decided to join in with the British. Wellington joined the Russian army and moved into Prussia to secure the country. Stein started his reforms and a whole new crop of troops became available. Nappy brought three separate armies into position to contain the threat.

The year was now 1812 and time for the Coalition to take the initiative. Two major campaigns played out with France being forced to skip a turn, brought Wellington and his Russian cadre into Flanders. Swift maneuvering by Napoleon enabled him a position to intercept any movement into France. The Spanish troops positioned themselves near the border, but became contained by several French corps. Nappy attacked Wellington in Flanders and massive casualties were inflicted on both sides. The Coalition was forced to retreat and Wellington boated to Spain.

in 1813 Austria became a dominion and instantly revolted. By this time however, Nappy had eviscerated much of the standing army. Only three troops were able to ever muster without help of the Radetsky reforms. The rest of the year was ended by peace talks and winter quarters. Both armies had positioned themselves as large reinforcements from Prussia and Russia were raised. France, Spain, and Austria were tapped out of manpower, while the remaining countries were nearly through.

1814 was set to see a major battle for France ensue. Unfortunately, Nappy was recalled from the field and France was only left with level 4 officers. Even with the summer cut short with peace talks, the massive Russian and Prussian armies pushed into France, joining with Wellington's old army.

Winter came, but fearing Nappy's return and a stall victory for the French, The combined armies of Russia, Prussia and England assulted Paris. The battle raged on (with a tie and two roll offs) with the coalition forcing the French out. The French attempted to retaliate and pushed through the snow to oust the Coalition. 3 corps from the huge standing army nearby intercepted with a single lose to march attrition. This filled up the army to 6 against the 4 the French could muster. The battle again came to 2 roll offs and the Coalition retained control. France surrendered and Europe temporarily freed itself from tyranny.

A few follow thoughts: We saw that Napoleon really needs to have overwhelming odds everytime and France shouldn't get involved in even fights. What might have been the downfall for Nappy was not pushing into Russia. The early game went very well, but Lambchops kept with the strategy of taking out my troops instead of holding territory. That worked well in decimating what I could bring to the table, but left me the time to recover with Russia. If he had attacked and surrendered Russia, I would probably have been out of troops.

It was also very painful to be the Coalition. It's a lot like being the Free Peoples in War of the Ring. You just get stomped on and try to do what little you can to react to the French. There was a couple times that I was almost entirely wiped off the map. I only had maybe three major offensives in the entire game.

Anyway, it was a great game and I feel like it really captured the spirit of the time period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think that Old Man Winter should get the win on this one...

BTW, I didn't roll 2's and 3's last week: I wished that I could roll 2's & 3's. That would've doubled or tripled my output.

On a side note, Pat cheats, so there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report! With nobody to teach me the game I keep struggling to get things right (even with the living rules).
So I must definately keep traying to get this one right :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you gotta just jump into it. Find someone that doesn't mind learning with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.