Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: waw [+] watch [+] faq [+] csw [+] [View All]
Bartman
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are what I have collected so far

I had a question regarding attacks on thin-skinned and unarmored vehicles. Section 1.3.4.2 of the rules talks about thin-skinned vehicles being attacked using the HE values, and the unarmored part talks about being attacked by AP values. Section 6.1 of the rules talks about usually using AP for Hard Targets, and HE for soft targets.

Is it acceptable to attack both AFV's and thin-skinned/unarmored target with AP rounds (or do the AP rounds just punch a hole thru unarmored/thin-skinned targets without destroying them?)? Looking at the values for the Abrams, it would be silly to use the HE values since you roll one less die, and have a lower chance of getting a hit using the HE values.

Quote:
the key word in 1.3.4.2 is "may." You can shoot at these targets with either your HE or AP numbers.

The HE permission is more useful for Bradleys & BMPs since their AP armament brings in the missile disadvantages.

Rule 9.2

This states in the example that a hovering Hind, using it's HE firepower "rolls three dice and each hits if the roll is four or higher." I'm assuming that is just a minor typo of the actual values? Or should be referencing a Cobra (as the values would then match)?

Quote:
Yes, it should be a Cobra. My mistake.

I had a question regarding opportunity fire. I read the rule in that an enemy unit needs to move into my LOS, and then move into a second hex in my LOS before I can op fire on him. Is this correct?

Quote:
Shoot at them in the first hex they enter that you have a LOS to and a unit that is able to fire

3.2.1 Hey! None of my units activated...

Not sure how to understand rule 3.2.1 "Hey! None of my units activated...". Note: I'm not a native english speaker, so I may have misunderstood the meaning of "all but".

(...) he keeps all but one End Turn marker in his possession (...)

Does that mean the player keeps 1 End Turn marker in his hand and only puts it back in the cup next turn after one of his formations activated? That would ensure he activates at least 1 formation the next turn. Is this correct?

Quote:
Exactly. If there are 3 End Turn markers then he keeps two in his possession.

SUPPORT WEAPONS

Quick question : if an infantry platoon fires it's Dragon at a Soviet tank platoon several hexes away & outside the range of the platoons intrinsic AT value, I'm assuming that the platoons's firepower is 'lost' as the entire platoon is then marked as OPS COMPLETE? I don't recall seeing a rule that says only the SW is marked as OPS COMPLETE so I think that's correct.

Quote:
... that is correct. The entire infantry platoon is marked Ops Complete

HELICOPTER QUESTION

When a helo switches modes when activated, is that the ONLY action it can undertake (the mode change)? As an example - if a flying helo switches to hovering, is that it's activation or can it switch to hover and still fire? On the flip side, it it moves from hovering to flying mode, is that all it can do, or can it then move (and possibly shoot if moving under 12 hexes)?

Quote:
nope it can change status and continue on...fly about... attack... whatever.

Ranged Combat Example

Query: in the ranged combat example (at the top of the right hand column on page 7 of the rules) why does the Abrams roll 5d6? Its firepower is 4 so should it not roll 4d6?

Quote:
...right, it's 4D6

AP vs HE

Why would a unit uses its HE fp against a thin skinned or unarmoured vehicle when an AP gives it a better shot?

I have assumed that AFVs that are not thin skinned can only be attacked with AP fire (or HE fire missions) however it isnt stated in the rules.

Quote:
HE vs AP... A Bradly platoon, out of TOW ammo, would be happy to use their 25 chain against a BTR, I presume. Also... and I don't have the rules in front of me, I'm pretty sure the rule allows the M-113 to use it's .50 against thin-skinned folks. Which they are trained to do... if they can't run away. As far as T-72 and Abrams platoons... yep, you are right, I can't think of why they would want to. The rule was written with BMPs and Bradleys in mind.,

Quote:
Ammo depletion, Bradley using move/fire activation

With the moving fire for AFV's can they actually fire on the move or do they have to short halt as the rules imply i.e. Move then fire. Iwas hoping for fire then move but that might not work at platoon level.

Quote:
You must move, and then you can fire.

Quote:
... I interpreted the helicopter moving fire rules as cutting the helos' movement allowances to twelve if they elect to fire. Helicopters can fire at any time during movement, provided that the unit does not expend more than twelve movement points.

do disrupted Infantry defending against an AFV only assault in a city still get the benefit reduction to their to hit no of 6 and increase to Assault fire power or do they lose the benefits.

Quote:
I've been thinking about your questions, and I'd have to say no. If you are disrupted, you are disrupted and fight in assault combat with a To Hit of 6. I can't remember if this ever came up in play testing, but it seems like it must have...

Edit: This answer came from Mark himself

When activated, do units activate separately, with each unit completing its movement and combat before another friendly unit completes its movement and combat (except for units stacked in the same hex or infantry riding in vehicles)?

Quote:
You've got it. You can activate units beginning an activation as a stack together and that's it.

Do wrecks count for stacking purposes?

Quote:
Nope

Can a defending hex be the subject of multiple assaults (i.e. by different units) within one activation?

Quote:
Yes

May a disrupted unit observe (for offboard HE fire) etc?

Quote:
Of coure, I'm sure you understand HQs can't be disrupted. So, you must mean recon units. No, I'd say they can't spot when disrupted, but I'll listen to arguments.

Edit: This answer came from Mark himself

Is there a limit to the length of the Line of Sight when observing for offboard fire?

Quote:
No, but the terrain keeps spotting ranges well under what either side's capabilities were.

Do units activated within a formation have to move first, before other units (in the same formation) fire?

Quote:
I have read the rules many times and there are no restrictions apart from calling in Fire Missions which must be done by HQ's/Recon as their first activity prior to moving or directing an attack (leader dice bonus) for the HQ or normal actions for the recon unit. All other units in the formation either Move, fire or moving fire in any order.
Mark will corrct me if I am wrong

Quote:
After a formation is activated units may move and fire in any order. Jerry is correct, however, units calling arty must do it as their first action, but it doesn't interfer with other actions.

Quote:
The Housekeeping, Command, Rally and Operations actions have to be performed in that exact order. But with Operations you activate each unit or stack at a time. This allows for multiple 'wave' assaults against an enemy in a single formation impulse, which can be devastating - in more ways than one!

Quote:
My interpretaion is that apart from units stacked together , each unit completes its action (moving,combat,moving fire...) individually before the next unit in the activated formation. A stack (two at most) can move together or seperately even combining again.

I never read the rules as Movement followed by combat . Assault is part of Movement and then we have moving fire

Does a unit on a hill benefit from the 1 defensive bonus "if attacked from ground level" when spotted from ground level?

Quote:
No, that refers to direct fire

Can I stack an HQ with any TYPE of unit? For instance, can I stack the Team Yankee HQ (M1 silhouette) with the formation's infantry unit?

I'm unsure because the HQ replacement rule specifically mentions a replacement HQ is placed on a unit of the same TYPE as the HQ.

Quote:
HQ can be stacked with any unit. When it is being replaced it is stacked on a unit of its formation of the same type, reduced side up. This represents the units commander taking over as HQ for company.

The HQ should stack with a unit of its own formation if none are left then it can stack with any unit.

In my batrep I moved the HQ with a M113 to avoid penalties of it moving alone.Then I moved a M1 onto it, next turn the HQ and M1 could move away from the M113.

Mark : Counter Errata

Alpha Recon Troop - The bradleys have the R recon symbol on full and reduced sides. The Abraham only on full side is this an error?

Quote:
yep, that's an error

LOS to/from a hill hex.

If I have an M1 platoon on a hill south of Bergengipfel in the woods, does it have LOS to the Soviets rolling towards town. I am reading rule 7.2 that it does. I read the rules that that means another hill and not another hill hex.

However, I'm taking the game to work on Monday and I want to make sure that I'm answering my co-workers question correctly if they say that there is another hill hex between my M1's and his T-72's.

Am I correct in my assumption or incorrect?

Quote:
Since it specifically says 'another hill hex' then I took it to mean precisely that. It's a simplification, but not out of place in what is after all a simple game.

Quote:
I read it as any hill hex as well. If you are 150m back from the edge of the hill then you wouldnt see over the crest and the hill edges do have crest markings.

Does the HQ unit get to use its morale enhance when stacked with a unit undergoing a chemical attack? (We assumed it could.)

Quote:
Since you are making a morale check, I believe you have it right.

Do intervening units block LOS? (We assumed no as the rules only addressed the impact of terrain on LOS.)

Quote:
Only terrain and wreck markers. If your LOS cuts across a combination of 2 or more wreck or rough hexes it is blocked.

For scenario 1, no support weapons are listed. In the order of Battle (paragraph 12), it shows that Team Yankee had a dragon capability. Is the dragon weapon available? (We assumed no.)

Quote:
When the scenario states "all units", you get to use all listed units from the OOB (including support weapons listed). If it states "elements" then you only use those units specified in the scenario.

Does ranged attack on a stack of units effect a single target unit or the stack in general? For example all units get one hit before any one of them get a second hit. (We assumed that ranged fire was fire directed at a single unit and the only "bleed over" was if an HQ unit was in the stack.)

Quote:
You are correct. Ranged fire only "attacks" a given unit. It that unit is stacked with an HQ, then you follow the rules to see if the HQ is damaged based on the results against the target unit.

I assume that units that are "Ops Complete" defend normally in Assault?

Quote:
All units attacked by Assault defend by counter attack using assault factor regardless of status, except disrupted units have an assault to hit of 6 (do not get any bonus to hit reductions)

Do units get to make Saves versus hits suffered in Assault Combat?

Quote:
No saves[,] this is close assault

If a HQ unit moves to stack with a different unit can it then direct that units fire? Or is it "Ops Complete" once it has moved?

Quote:
Ops Complete once it moves. It completes its movement before the other unit starts its actions.

I assume that where terrain art , e.g. buildings, just overhangs a hexside or overlaps a small amount into an adjacent hex it does not block LOS?

Quote:
Terrain in WaW is whole hex , see 7.3 which implies silhoutte / Terrain art is for cosmetic purposes only. Mark has confirmed in earlier post

No terrain mods for Assault seemed kinda weird at times. For example, a stack of two T-72's came rampaging across a river bridge to assault a Yankee AFV (that was Ops Complete due to previous Op Fire) in a City, and there are no restrictions/modifiers?!?

Quote:
As for no terrain Mods for an assault, normal fire at this scale is taking advantage of terrain bounding/overwatch tactics .. assault is basically charging in for a close assault, exposed. If an AFV it is at the mercy of M72's/RPG's and other close range AT weapons.

Before you attack you had better calculate the enemies capability. A higher chance of casualties when rooting out the enemy and you need the odds in your favour.

By its nature this is a taking ground attack against a weakened enemy. If AFV's the attacker will not be able to benefit much from cover and will be bringing maximum fp to bear on the enemy, whose only defence is attack.

If infantry in woods or city then this is up close and personal, SMG, Grenades and steel.

Considering the brevity of the rules I think this simulates the options facing the Company/Divisional commander pretty well.

can Assault Combat take place in a Smoke hex - I assumed that it can.

Quote:
Sure.

When a unit firing ATGM's rolls no hits it is temporarily out of ammunition. The ITV for example normally has a to hit of 4, when firing through smoke the ITV's to hit number rises to 5 which decreases the chance of securing a hit and increasing its chance of depleting its ATGM stores. Is this the the correct way to play this rule, or should the base to hit number determine ATGM depletion?

Quote:
That's how I've been playing it. I just considered it more smoke = less visibility = less chance to hit a target = more missiles fired to try and hit = need to restock the ready rack with ammo.

Are terrain bonuses cumlitive, would a unit in a wooded hill hex containing a wreck fired on from ground level receives a terrain bonus of 3?

Quote:
I think that is correct

Question. LOS between units on hill and other units on ground is solely given in terms of attackers on a hill and defenders on the ground. Is the intent to make it harder for units on the ground to see units on a hill, or is LOS meant to be reciprocal (ie, if unit A on a hill can see unit B on the ground, then does that mean unit B also can see unit A even if there's a woods hex on the ground between the two, but not adjacent to unit

Quote:
LOS is indeed reciprocal in all cases. Note that you have to be on the "edge" of a hill to see down, otherwise you get the plateau effect.

on 8.1, if a high explosive mission is dropped on a hex containing an AFV HQ, does the HQ have to roll if hits (disruption or step losses) occur in the hex because of the HE mission?

Quote:
HQs never suffer combat results, they only roll for losses after units in their hex take losses...which they always must roll for as you say when losses take place in their hex. (in other words "yes" and "don't roll a one!").

I've been assuming that the scenario artillery allotments are per game (not per turn).

It occurred to me that might not be correct. Is it? Thanks.

Quote:
Yes the alloted missions are per game, not per turn.

If two units are moving as a stack and are attacked by opportunity fire, does the defending unit (the one opportunity firing) attack one of the enemy units or both of the units, Or is it either/or? If multiple hits are obtained during opportunity fire do the hits get spread amongst the units like artillery or just against one unit? If one unit gets Disrupted in a stack of moving units does this cause the whole stack to stop or just the disrupted unit?

Quote:
Direct fire shoots at one unit. If that unit is disrupted, it can't shoot but can still move in accordance with the rules. The other unit can also split away and keep moving too.

In artillery, a infantry unit is defending in a city hex, does that unit benefit from the terrain defensive modifier?

Quote:
Yes, infantry gets the terrain mod against HE fire.

If a unit wants to overrun an enemy infantry unit, the enemy infantry unit could fire opportunity fire at the overrunning unit and if that didn’t stop him then defend normally against the overrun? If the overrunning unit started adjacent to the enemy infantry unit would the enemy infantry unit be able to opportunity fire or just defend against the overrun? Also, do infantry defending against overrun get a terrain defensive modifier?

Quote:
No terrain mods in assaults except for the special cases of AFV vs INF as outlined in the rules. As for Op-fire, you would have to shoot the enemy as he entered the adjacent hex. Once the enemy moves into your hex the assault is on.

I just want to make sure I'm doing this right . . .

Target at full strength: one hit disrupts, two hits flips to reduced (but not disrupted), three or more hits would eliminate. If already disrupted, one hit would reduce and two or more hits would eliminate.

Quote:
Hits

The first hit on a unit will disrupt it. A another hit on a disrupted unit will reduce it (flip it over, some units that start in a reduced state are destroyed, like a helo). A disrupted, reduced unit that is hit is destroyed. If the unit is reduced and not disrupted the first hit will disrupt and the second will destroy it.

I hope this helps.
Quote:
Except for AP hits on unarmored vehicles, which cause reduction (1.3.4.2).

Quote:
I just confirmed with Mark via email that if a full strength unit takes two hits, it is dispupted AND reduced. The act of reducing a unit does not remove the disruption

If an HQ places 2 HE artillery fire missions (8.0) on the same target hex, do defenders in the hex get to roll twice for their terrain saves (8.1)?

Quote:
Yes, resolve each strike separately.

Can other non-active units Opportunity Fire (6.2) into a hex containing both friendly and enemy units (i.e., just as opposing units move in for an assault)?

Quote:
agree. Don't let them. In fact, I don't think I'll ever design any game where I allow that.
Mark's exact words

When firing Support Weapons (1.3.5), does it matter if the firing Infantry unit is at full strength or reduced?

Quote:
You're correct. It doesn't matter

Activate 1st Tank battalion. OK do I move ALL the tanks and then fire them all. Do i move one hex's worth of tanks and then fire them and then move on to the next complete hex???

Quote:
As I understand it,..

A player may move a single unit or a stack of units -- there is a rule for stack movement. However, just because units are stacked does not mean you have to move them as a stack. You can move part of a stack A, part of a stack B, then the rest of stack A, etc.

Now, each unit can move, fire, or (some units, listed on the player aid card) perform moving fire. Note that if it performs moving fire it does so at a penalty to both it's movement and it's attack.

Beyond that, there is no restriction on how and when you select a given unit to perform its action. I can pick X to move, then Y to shoot, then Z to move a little, shoot at somebody, and finish its move, etc.

Does that help?

Let me ask you a tricky one then...

2 activated tanks from the 1st tank battalion in DIFFERENT hexes at beginning of their turn, want to close assault a target unit. Are they allowed to move together onto one hex and then from that hex close assault together? OR for a double unit to close assault do they have to start in the same hex.

I had assumed the latter. But from what you say I can see no reason why not the former.

Quote:
they must start together. As 6.3 states, "Assault combat is resolved the instant the attacking units enter the hex." So, when the first unit/stack of units enter the hex they throw down.
Quote:
Also, you can't interrupt the action of one unit to perform an action with another unit -- you have to finish the action of the first unit. The only way they could close assault together is if they were a stack at the start and activated as a stack.

Sov’s get 1st turn, HQ drops HE on both the Infantry in woods and ITV on hill. My understanding is that normally the inf in the woods would count as concealed, but although they get a plus for being in the woods for cover they do not count concealment against artillery. Likewise I assumed the ITV on the hill does not get +1 for being on the hill when fired at by indirect HE. Both units took a hit and were disrupted.

Quote:
Correct. Concealment does not prevent attacks, just bestows a bonus.

Am I correct in assuming that infantry can not fire either their inherant weapons or any support weapons if they move?

Quote:
Yes (you are correct)

Is the US TOW Jeep subject to Depleted Ammo? (it has an underlined AP range, but is not mentioned in 6.1.4)

Quote:
Yes, a TOW Jeep is using an ATGM and is subject to the rule.

According to rule 1.3.4.2:
Unarmored vehicles...are reduced by every Armor Piercing hit.

This would mean that they are disrupted as well (if they weren't already) as taking a reduction.

By the same token does this apply to Unarmored vehicles hit by HE firepower? That is to say, does any hit on unarmored vehicles cause them to be Reduced?

Quote:

1.7.2- If 2 end turn markers are drawn the turn ends for both players? What happens with scenarios that use 3 end turn markers? The turn still ends when the second is drawn? (If not then I supose he keeps 2 instead of one TM in accordance to rule 3.2.1?)

Quote:
Yes, turn ends when two drawn. And yes, he holds out two until one of his formations activates.

Quote:
That's correct Robert, and if the scenario had 10 TM, the player would keep nine. The rule is "...all but one..."

3.1.- If the player draws an enemy formation marker the enemy unit is activated?

Quote:
Yes

Rule 4.1.- I suppose players skip this step in turn 1?

Quote:
No and here is a long answer on this:
Regarding your original question, the answer is: Not necessarily

4.1 Housekeeping, takes place at the beginning of a Formation Impulse. So in turn 1 would you skip this step? Only if it's that Formations FIRST impulse, OR if units of that formation had not activated yet, such as Op Fire, OR given that the above conditions are true, if during initial setup, they had not placed units outside of Command Range. That sounds confusing. Let me see if I can give examples.

Example: Say it's the first turn of Scenario 1. The Soviets get to activate first w/o a chit pull due to surprise (as per scenario rules). The first step in his activation is Housekeeping. Does he skip this step? Technically, Yes, because there is no housekeeping to be done, and he doesn't have the option of placing units outside of Command Range on initial setup.

Continuing with this example: Let's assume that during the Soviets opening moves, the U.S. got off a few Op Fire shots. Those units that conducted Op Fire are marked with an Ops Complete marker. SO...if the U.S. chit was pulled next, then would they skip the Housekeeping step? No, because there are markers to be removed. This is an example of when 4.1 would not be skipped during the first turn.

One more possibility from the above example: Say the U.S. had not conducted any Op Fire during the Soviets initial impulse. AND, had not placed any of his units outside of Command Range on initial setup. Now when he draws his chit (the U.S.) does he skip 4.1? Again, technically yes.

There of course also remains the possibility that a side might purposely set up some elements of his formation Outside of the HQ command range during initial setup (The rules don't cover this specifically, but given the rules as they are written, it is entirely possible). Now assuming that it is Turn 1, and this particular formation is the first to activate to start the game. Well guess what...he would start the game with 4.1 Housekeeping and he has to remove the OOC markers he would have placed on setup for his OOC units. This example is extreme, but based on the rules, as they are written, this is completely allowable.

This may all be semantics of course. It occurs to me that you may have meant ONLY the first Impulse not Turn. Also, realize that there is a difference b/w 4.1 Housekeeping, and 3.2 Marker Removal. In the case of 3.2, you would definitely skip this on turn one, because Marker Removal Phase, doesn't occur until AFTER the Operations Phase which means at the end of a turn.

5.2.2.- Is it possible for a loaded infantry unit not to begin it´s movement in the transporter´s same hex?

Quote:
No, not how you have it worded here. However it could start it's Impulse NOT under transport and based on the rule, could END UP under transport. See 5.2.1

Where are the smoke/HE strike/mines/chemical markers located in the VASSAL module?

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@394.XlSGdAMxIBH.7@.1dd2b...

Quote:
They are on the 'back' of the HQ counters. That is, right click on an HQ and you will find all but the HE marker. The smoke ones are cool in that they fade the 6 hexes around them to show smoke.

With regards to concealment this is what is written:

Concealed: If the target unit is in the same hex as a wreck marker, or occupies woods, city, rough, or cultivated(infantry only) terrain and is
a. NOT under an Ops Complete Marker
b. moving
c. adjacent to a good order friendly unit
d. within LOS of a good order friendly Recon unit it is concealed.

Here are a couple things about this that have always puzzled me:

1. It seems to me that the word "NOT" in the above list should be included in every sentence. That is, every item in that list should begin with the word "NOT".

2. Does anyone else feel that Mark meant to say "enemy" instead of "friendly" in items 'c' and 'd'? Wouldn't that make much more sense in terms of concealment ESPECIALLY, if like I suggested above the word "NOT" applies to all of those items?

Mark,

Would you mind looking again at this rule and tell me if I'm wrong on this.

Quote:
Rule Clarification

Concealed: If the target unit is in the same hex as a wreck marker, or occupies woods, city, rough, or cultivated(infantry only) terrain and is

a. NOT under an Ops Complete Marker

b. NOT moving

c. NOT adjacent to a good order friendly* unit

d. NOT within LOS of a good order friendly* Recon unit

it is concealed.

*The word "friendly" above refers to a unit friendly in relation to the FIRING unit.

Example: For item 'c' above: A Soviet unit attempting concealment that is adjacent to a good order NATO unit is not concealed.

Example: For item 'd' above: A Soviet unit attempting concealment that is within the LOS of a good order NATO Recon unit is not concealed.

AP Air Strikes

In 1st Panzer, scenario 4, the special rule states that a NATO HQ can call in the AA air strikes. 2 questions:

Is the HQ specific to the formation who's OOB it's on (in this case the 1/171 PzG) or is it any NATO HQ?

Can a recon unit call in the AA air strike?

Quote:
When I put together the original scenarios I had the airstrikes listed in support to a particular formation and therefore HQ. The revised scenarios that are in the book place the airstrikes in the "general" support pool and therefore any HQ can call them. By core rules a Recon can also call in support missions. I would say that is just fine.

Are Stingers and Chaparral subject to ATGM depletion? Their ranges are underlined, but they are AA units, so I'm not sure.

Quote:
I believe they aren't as it specifically mentions the AP ATGM and AA carried a big load out. The underline is more to tie down the range aspects of combat.

What happens if loaded infantry Assault. Are they basically just along for the ride and don't actually participate?

Quote:
They suffer the results of the transport as per the rules , they cant fire whilst loaded. I would say this is a suicidal and to be avoided move.

I assume that unloaded infantry and AFVs can move together in a stack. Is this correct?

Quote:
Yes

What happens if 2 End Turn chits are pulled before either side activates? Does 3.2.1 ('Hey, none of my units activated') come into effect (I doubt it, since the conditions can't be fulfilled if there are only 2 End Turn markers in play), or is 3.2.1 there just to balance it out if only 1 player doesn't get to activate?

Quote:
The turn ends and both players keep an end turn marker, only returning it when one of their formations activates.

How many support weapons can an Infantry platoon have? For example If my Plt has a mortar can it also use one sagger, or if it is the last Plt and I have 2 unused saggers could I fire both from this last Plt?

Quote:
I talked with Mark on the support weapon and it is one per unit. cool

OP Fire: First, can more than 1 unit Op Fire onto a single unit as it moves into a hex? For instance, in the picture at the top of this forum, if the Infantry unit at H14 moved to H13, may the units at G12 and H11 both do OpFire on the Infantry unit? Or, would only 1 Alpha unit be able to do an OpFire and the other would have to wait to see if the Infantry moved to another hex?

Now, if the answer to the above is that only one may OpFire at the single unit, what if 2 units are together and moving? Could 2 units then do OpFire, with each firing unit targeting a different unit that moved? Or, is it still only 1 unit allowed to do OpFire and he has to choose which unit to target?

Quote:
Cap'n Darwin: On the Op Fire issue. The rule states moving unit/s. Thus a moving stack can only be engaged once per hex it enters. Not once per unit per hex. If the result is a disruption the stack stops. The undisrupted unit may keep moving and then it can be shot at.

Hope that helps.

In some scenarios, units don't set up and enter in the first turn. Are these units considered moving for the purposes of combat? For example, could I place a unit and not move it further and fire without penalty? I could see this going either way, but I suspect they do count as moving.

Quote:
Bart,

Jerry is right. "Entering" the map in scenerios is moving and the unit would be subject to Op Fire or would have to account for movement if shooting for those units that can do moving fire.

Whew...
OK that's what I have collected so far and only from Consimworld. I have not gathered data from the LnL website. There appears to be a lot of question about Moving Fire rules, and currently one of Mark's last posts has people confused as to what is intended, but most are playing based on the answers posted above concerning this.
I realize that a couple of questions here were not answered, that is because I did not find an answer on the forum. If you have the answer to one of these go ahead and post it below, and I'll edit the main post. Also, while were at it, if you have ANY questions/answers or combination thereof, go ahead and post it and I'll update as necessary.

Also, I imagine much of this will be answered in the FAQ that will be included in the first expansion World at War: Death of the 1st Panzer, so if you haven't already...GO ORDER THAT BAD BOY!

Cheers,
Bart

OK first edit, and as I mentioned above it concerns Moving Fire. Mark has spoken: Move THEN fire with MF units. Hmmm I think most were playing that one incorrectly. Change is above in bold

Second edit, the latest are all down at the bottom of the list.

Third edit, two more added.

Fourth edit, four more added.

Fifth edit, one added.

Sixth edit, one added.

Seventh, one added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for this. I've seen most of this over at CSW, but someone really needed to consolidate it.

CSW is a horrible, horrible place to support a game or have any kind of structured discussion and I wish all wargame developers/publishers/designers would realize that.

Wish I had more than .01gg to tip...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Snyder
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bart,

Very nice list. I'll have to print it out later and roll though it in detail. I'm sure Mark will be checking it out too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capn Darwin wrote:
Bart,

Very nice list. I'll have to print it out later and roll though it in detail. I'm sure Mark will be checking it out too.

I agree. Thank you for this compilation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartman
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. Amazing how much better I know the game after having compiled thiscool

Jim, I certainly hope Mark gets the time to read through this. But as busy as he's been I won't hold my breath.

Again, if anyone sees something wrong here or has an addition, go ahead and post here or PM me and I'll add it to the original list.

Cheers,
Bart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bry Barnes
United Kingdom
Somerset, Uk
flag msg tools
Really useful.

Cheers Dood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this, one of the few things this game badly needed was an FAQ.

There aren't many issues newbs easily fall foul of, but there are some.

Agree with comment about consimworld, most hopeless conversation structure I have ever seen

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chambers
United States
California
flag msg tools
Where are the smoke/HE strike/mines/chemical markers located in the VASSAL module?

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@394.XlSGdAMxIBH.7@.1dd2b...

Quote:
They are on the 'back' of the HQ counters. That is, right click on an HQ and you will find all but the HE marker. The smoke ones are cool in that they fade the 6 hexes around them to show smoke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Target at full strength: one hit disrupts, two hits flips to reduced (but not disrupted), three or more hits would eliminate. If already disrupted, one hit would reduce and two or more hits would eliminate.

Quote:
The first hit on a unit will disrupt it. A another hit on a disrupted unit will reduce it (flip it over, some units that start in a reduced state are destroyed, like a helo). A disrupted, reduced unit that is hit is destroyed. If the unit is reduced and not disrupted the first hit will disrupt and the second will destroy it.

I just confirmed with Mark via email that if a full strength unit takes two hits, it is dispupted AND reduced. The act of reducing a unit does not remove the disruption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chambers
United States
California
flag msg tools
One suggestion, can you put the questions in bold? It makes it much easier to read and scan through them.

thanks...

mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartman
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done!

Cheers,
Bart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If two units are moving as a stack and are attacked by opportunity fire, does the defending unit (the one opportunity firing) attack one of the enemy units or both of the units, Or is it either/or? If multiple hits are obtained during opportunity fire do the hits get spread amongst the units like artillery or just against one unit? If one unit gets Disrupted in a stack of moving units does this cause the whole stack to stop or just the disrupted unit?

Quote:
Direct fire shoots at one unit. If that unit is disrupted, it can't shoot but can still move in accordance with the rules. The other unit can also split away and keep moving too.

Is this an official answer? I don't have the rules in front of me, but I'm pretty sure there's a line in the Op Fire section that uses "unit(s)" in reference to the target hex, which would indicate to me that hits might be spread across multiple units moving together.

Related - I believe there's a statement about only being able to take one op fire shot per hex entered. Is this per unit per hex, or one for the whole moving stack? In other words, if two T-72s are moving together and enter a hex that is in LOS of two M-1s, can each M-1 fire at that hex, targeting different T-72s? Is the fire simultaneous, or is one result resolved first, possibly creating a wreck that will benefit the defender for the second attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartman
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben,

This answer came from Jim Snyder who has been involved in the playtesting and development of the game with Mark from the get-go, so it is as official as I can get for now, UNLESS Mark says otherwise. The key phrase in 6.2 that dictates this answer is
...by following the rules for fire combat stated above

As for your follow-on question, I don't have an official answer, but I know how I play it, which is that the "The moving unit/s may only be attacked once per hex that it enters."
I read "unit/s" as: unit/stack of units. So no, the other M-1 would have to wait for the unit/s to enter a new hex.

Maybe Jim can provide us with some more guidance.

Cheers,
Bart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:

Is this an official answer? I don't have the rules in front of me, but I'm pretty sure there's a line in the Op Fire section that uses "unit(s)" in reference to the target hex, which would indicate to me that hits might be spread across multiple units moving together.

Related - I believe there's a statement about only being able to take one op fire shot per hex entered. Is this per unit per hex, or one for the whole moving stack? In other words, if two T-72s are moving together and enter a hex that is in LOS of two M-1s, can each M-1 fire at that hex, targeting different T-72s? Is the fire simultaneous, or is one result resolved first, possibly creating a wreck that will benefit the defender for the second attack?

I think this question really needs clarification; the use of 'unit/s' in the rules is confusing. I had interpreted the rules such that two defending units could op fire at two units moving in a stack in the same hex. I interpreted the 'one hex - one shot' rule to mean that two separate units couldn't op fire at the *same* single moving unit. But it's not clear to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About to try my first FtF game this week and was just wondering if the OpFire ambiguity has been cleared up yet?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeldavidcox wrote:
About to try my first FtF game this week and was just wondering if the OpFire ambiguity has been cleared up yet?

Thanks.

'Fraid not on here or CSW it hasn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I asked the question again (hopefully without confusing things) on ConsimWorld and have had a few replies. Still seems to be some confusion over firing at a hex or a unit...

For now, I plan to go with firing at a unit so 2 units moving would allow 2 units to OpFire, 1 per target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I noticed those replies. None yet from anyone officially connected with WaW though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think the responses today seem to have cleared it up.

ConsimWorld responses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartman
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger that.

Updated.

Cheers,
Bart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I just confirmed with Mark via email that if a full strength unit takes two hits, it is dispupted AND reduced. The act of reducing a unit does not remove the disruption.

Which is funny, because logically it wouldn't remove the disruption, and yet, the rule *explicitly* states that you reduce the unit "instead of" disrupting it. Oh well, some typos are worse than others!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c m
United States
ann arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the work! This has cleared up some questions I had, but I came across another that hasn't been answered. In some scenarios, units don't set up and enter in the first turn. Are these units considered moving for the purposes of combat? For example, could I place a unit and not move it further and fire without penalty? I could see this going either way, but I suspect they do count as moving. Sorry if this is already answered on CSW, but as someone above me said, it's not easy to slog through a zillion pages looking for an answer. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dutts wrote:
In some scenarios, units don't set up and enter in the first turn. Are these units considered moving for the purposes of combat? For example, could I place a unit and not move it further and fire without penalty? I could see this going either way, but I suspect they do count as moving.
Not sure if there is an official answer but I've played it as they are moving onto the board so it would have to be a move and fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartman
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dutts,

Here is the official answer from Jim. This has been added to the FAQ.

Quote:
"Bart,

Jerry is right. "Entering" the map in scenerios is moving and the unit would be subject to Op Fire or would have to account for movement if shooting for those units that can do moving fire."

Cheers,
Bart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c m
United States
ann arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much guys. That makes things a little easier....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.