JEREMY WILHM
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Insert clever phrase here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having only played it for the first time two days previous, my wife and I picked up a copy of Kingsburg, and decided to teach it to our kids. After a rundown of the rules, and answering a ton of questions (My kids are 10 and 8, but both are in gifted programs so they picked up the basic rules quickly, but kept asking questions about the King and Queen. They were thinking that if they rolled 17 or 18, they would become the King and Queen)

We all started out small, building Inns and Barracades instead of the higher point Statue. Both kids picked up quickly that they needed the defense bonuses and other advantages before they went after the top row of buildings.

My wife jumped out to an early lead by getting to 4 total buildings early, and gaining the bonus VP for having the highest rated defense against the Year 1 monster. But my son quickly built a Church and the 7 VP's pushed him into the lead. My daughter was trying a general building strategy, going after most of the level 1 and 2 buildings before moving up, and I was going straight for the Embassy first.

We were all having success against the monsters, and after three years the leaders didn't really change. My wife and my son were still fighting it out for first, I was a healthy margin behind, but I had built the embassy in year 2, and had just built a farm at the end of year 3, so I was poised to threaten. My daughter was in third place, but she was struggling with some poor dice rolls that would not improve over the last two years.

With 4 dice, I really started to pick up the pace in year 4, and started on the middle row to improve my defense. I had barely beaten the year 3 monster by the luck of a high roll from the King. So I started building a Guard Tower and a Blacksmith with my next two turns. My wife finally built her church and extended her lead. My son was focusing almost all of his attention on defense and built a Stable and Stone Wall. My daughter then started on her level 3 buildings by building a Barracks, and was very close to a Church by the end of year 4. With my improved defense, there was not a close call against the monster for anyone, and my wife picked up her third bonus VP for having the highest defense of the round. My wife was still in the lead, but I was only a few points behind. My son was in third, and my daughter was in 4th, but when she finally built her Church in Year 5, she caught up a lot.

Year 5 went pretty smoothly, and both my wife and I built a Wizard's Guild, but I also built a Statue to catch up with her and take a small lead. My Embassy and Town Hall let me extend my lead by 2 points every Production Season until I had built a 9 point lead. However, on the last Production Phase, my wife built a cathedral to tie me going into the final fight. I had built up my defense well, but my wife had one good cube left for Phase 7, and using her Barracks, had her defense at a 6 to my 5. Our last monster was a 9 Strength Dragon, and my wife had the advantage. If the King's roll was a 1 or 2, then we all lose 5 VP's and I would win by virtue of a tie-breaker. But if the roll was a 3 or more, then my wife would win. The roll was a 6 and my wife won by the 1 bonus VP she got from having the highest defense during the last fight.

My son finished third, and my daughter finished 4th. Bad rolls during the last year doomed them both, but they still had a lot of fun. We'll definitely be getting this one out again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.