Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

After a debate in a recent thread about the F4 and also after reading the old thread about this subject where the desinger of the game explained his ruling: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/141304

I'd like to know how things stand as of today, about a year after the older discussion.

Have you been playing the game with the rules as explained in the faq? (Sue's power can be applied before the villain/nemesis has a chance to use dice boosting). What was your experience?

Have you been playing with some of the variants? How did that turn?

I personally have been playing as the FAQ, and I think that as the game is mostly about getting vps, this ability doesn't really help the F4 rack points faster, just more securely. To be able to use the combo consistently, the f4 have to "farm" cards, wasting actions that could be used to tackle another headline.

The way we usually play the game is to send 1 active hero and 1-2 support heros. This way, within the 5 rounds of a turn, the team will be able to complete 2 headlines with quite a good chance. Usually, by the end of the second turn, we have close to 20 points.

If we waste actions farming cards, there's no way we'd manage to reach that amount of points so fast, so we usually only use the combo at the end of the game (I really like using The Thing as active hero for the first few rounds), and at most once or twice...

Also, if you use all your resource cards this way, you cannot have allies, which are also quite important...

Anyway, regardless of this issue, Marvel Heroes is a game that's really growing on me and we're really enjoying it after one year...

Thoughts?

-Jorge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen a game in which the F4 player had trouble getting enough cards to do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted, including the use of allies when appropriate.

The odds are not wiped out, but where most players have odds between 50/50 and 60/40 on any given roll, F4 powers boost their odds to 80/20 or even better. In a game so heavily driven by dice, that is a monstrous swing.

Further, the F4's powers effectively nullify Doom's efforts to the point where we find it almost pointless to attempt master plans with him, it's basically giving F4 free team power-ups.

As such, the only way to really combat the F4 is to try and predict the best headline available to them in a given game round and try to snipe it from them, often wasting plot points and actions on suicide missions to kill the headline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always just played that Sue's powers only apply after the dice are done rolling (after boosting). I know the FAQ came out and says different, but we haven't changed what has worked well for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for me its less the team (as you say it takes time to fuel those abilities -- and low characters on any team can get lucky with quit hits) than Dr Doom just sucking (compared to say red skull)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The F4 could go supersonic. It had a pretty decent radar and tracking system. It's main glaring weakness was the absence of a gun. That was sort of corrected with the addition of a gun pod. It also had a flaw in that it produced black smoke so it was pretty easy to pick out. It did see service in other countries though. The Israeli F4's owned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
We use the “Once per round of combat sequence” variant. Seems to work fine.

If you want to talk problems, why do the FF have such obscenely powerful allies? Compare them to the other groups’: do the FF really need more powerful allies on top of everything else? Then factor in Temporary Recruit and… ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibault Nguyen
France
Paris
IDF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

As far as the F4 special combat ability can be used only once in a combat, this makes the combo active Mr. F + supporting Mrs. F not so overwhelming. They still can beat any 2KO villain but a 3KO with enough allies is much harder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.