Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife really likes Keythedral... I know Harvest is new... and there are some concerns of repetition which have me hesitant.. Looking for more opinions on the 2 player game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
So far the small number of games I played at 2 weren't very succesful. The main reason is, I think, that this is one of those games where the players should be confrontational by themselves to make it work. If the players for example build little empires in different corners of their board, then a tile on offer will hardly ever be purchased by the other player: that player gets a tile he doesn't really need, he wastes resources, and most damning of all, his direct opponent gets 'em thereby postponing the moment when a harvest action has to be chosen.

Competitive bidding only works if both players are interested in roughly the same tiles, and that means building in roughly the same areas. Given the different starting locations this is not easy to do: one tends to 'cultivate his own garden' and avoid direct competition. The only two ways in which I can see this might work is that the second player ignores his starting tiles and 'follows' the first player like a shadow; or that both players create 'airy' structures where any tile might or might not be useful. This puts the pressure on them once the end begins to draw near as all these single agricultural must be strung together for point purposes.

I've not yet been able to play according to the above scenarios as me and my SO are not very agressive players, leading to a somewhat lackluster experience. I cannot tell how competitive you and your wife are, but I hope the above gave you some idea of what you can expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Maarten that the game is dependent on having a semi-confrontational opponent, but, contrary to his experience, we LOVE this as a 2P game.

I think the confrontational nature in this game is not as "evil" as other games, although the game can get a bit "unfriendly" when you're low on resources and snatch up a tile that you know your opponent will need. I think this game actually works really well, in that you only have to pay solid attention to two gameboards during the game. I can imagine a 4P game becoming very frustrating when you have to keep track of not only your gameboard, but also three others.

Again, I think this game certainly has a confrontational nature that can lead to your opponent being mad that you took the tile they wanted and gouged them on the price (which my GF loves to do to me--we're talking 4 and 5 resources sometimes), but I think it works really well as a 2P game. I'll certainly get a review up as soon as I feel comfortable enough in my knowledge of the game to do so.

If you like Keythedral, I'd definitely tell you to get this one. Hell, I'll recommend it as a 2P game even if you don't like Keythedral. It really is a good game, and, while I know this is only one opinion, our experiences have only been positive with Key Harvest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoyed our two player games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here goes. My wife and I enjoyed Keythedral greatly. We prefer it to playing Settlers of Catan, which 2-player variant is a little unsteady. Now, you have to understand my wife will suggest deeper games to play, as she likes the complexity of the choices, etc. But for some odd reason, she didn't like Reef Encounter as much as I did. She doesn't like confrontational games where the main idea is to hurt the opponent. So, now it comes to Key Harvest. You have to remember it is deeper than keythedral. Keythedral is light gameplay compared to Key harvest. My wife enjoyed key harvest, but again I enjoyed it more. She won, but we won't go into that It doesn't play like keythedral. That would be one thing you have to take into account. It has some ideas from Acquire, but everything else has some life of its own. It has auctioning, but the game does not revolve around it. The whole game is about trying to re-use your people, and the auction is only to allow some direct competition happen. It is a brain-burning game, similar to the depth of choices in reef encounter. Some AP is likely for some, but not alot due to choices of tiles/actions is more limited than RE. Overall, the game is very fun to play, a little drier than Keythedral. I would introduce players to gaming through Keythedral - I would not use Key Harvest. It does play in the same time frame as Keythedral, but I feel little less likely that I come away saying the the randomness of some law card won the game for me. In Harvest, the random chances are the tiles you pull, and they all can be taken if you plan well; not an easy task. For weight in gameplay I would say for Richard's games I would place them in this order: Keydom (aladdin's Dragons), Keythedral, Key Harvest, Reef Encounter. (never found key town to play so no review of it). After the dryness works its way off, the game appears to have a fun-factor with clever plays and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye, I liked reef encounter, but my wife didn't... she (and I) don't like abstracts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.