Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
21.01.2008 – In the B Group Nigel Short offered his opponent Ivan Cheparinov the traditional handshake, which was twice refused. Short protested, the arbiters defaulted Cheparinov, whose manager Silvio Danailov lodged a protest. The Appeals Committee decided the game should be replayed after an apology.

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4397

Amusingly absurd...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The PC disease has reached pandemic proportions. This reminds me of Monty Python's "Happiness Act." If I knew I had to shake hands with some jerk or forfeit the game, that would sure "discomfit" me. Maybe I'm just a jerk myself. At first I wondered who was supposed to apologize to whom. Short played the role of a whiner rather well I believe. Hey what do I know. What will the future hold, automated machine guns in the ceiling telling you "Smile *&#$@er!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
russ wrote:
Amusingly absurd...

I don't find it absurd at all. These are professional chess players. As such, they should behave as professionals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
russ wrote:
Amusingly absurd...

I don't find it absurd at all. These are professional chess players. As such, they should behave as professionals.

... and can be assumed to know that the rules of their sport require certain rituals. As such rituals are hardly a modern invention, it seems absurd to me to consider this an instance of "PC disease." I'd be no more surprised to discover you could be disqualified from a martial arts bout for not bowing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
russ wrote:
Amusingly absurd...

You seem to be agreeing with me while thinking that you're disagreeing. It seems amusingly absurd to me to pointedly refuse to shake hands with your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.