Subject: Shopping cart Tetris! What can I get for $40? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Whitford
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm trying to fill my cart at www.superherogameland.com and I need to add another $40 to get the free shipping. My problem is that there are so many great looking games out there that I'm suffering a bit of analysis paralysis.

I own Catan, Carcassonne, Modern Art, and Citadels. I'm buying Wits & Wagers, Caribbean, & Gulo Gulo. I have friends who own Puerto Rico and Ingenious, so no need to list them (I'll probably pick them up for myself eventually). Bonus points for those that meet one or more of the following criteria:

- More than one game for $40
- Children's games that adults can enjoy
- Different mechanics/genres from those I've mentioned
- Not overly complicated or difficult to set up
- Games take no longer than one hour to play
- Support large groups of people
- No player elimination
- Something the wife will play (she prefers luck over strategy)

I look forward to hearing your opinions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert sounds like a good fit. It's not a children's game, but I've seen kids under 10 playing.

It's less than $20.

My wife enjoys playing it (along with Carc, Blue Moon City, TtR).

Edit:

No player elimination.

It's fairly easy to set up (may take 2 or 3 mins tops).

But it does favor strategy over luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur for $9.56
Apples to Apples (party box) for $21.88
Bohnanza for $12.72

That's a total of $44.16. If you want to shave it down to $40.97, you can get the Bohnanza fan edition for $9.53.

I hope that is of some help, even if they are fairly generic suggestions that you may have heard before!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$21.01 O Zoo le Mio
- Not overly complicated or difficult to set up
- No player elimination
- Something the wife will play

$21.01 Thurn and Taxis
- Different mechanics/genres from those I've mentioned
- No player elimination
- Something the wife will play

I own and enjoy both of these games. They only play four players and they aren't kids games, but these would be good additions to your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
tatoolo wrote:
Saboteur for $9.56
Apples to Apples (party box) for $21.88
Bohnanza for $12.72

That's a total of $44.16. If you want to shave it down to $40.97, you can get the Bohnanza fan edition for $9.53.

Don't do it. The fan edition is strictly a collector's item, and is NOT intuitive or easy to play, thanks to the artwork. If you want Bohnanza (and it's a good game, especially given your audience), go with the standard edition of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick Picknic- $11.16 - This is one of those Children's games that adults can enjoy. Plays up to 6 players, simultaneous action selection mechanic (so little downtime), mix of luck and strategy, your wife would play this.

China - $22.31 - A good area majority game. I didn't notice any others mentioned in your games. Good game to show you the area majority mechanism that is used in many other games. Your wife might play this.

Coloretto - $7.62 - one of the better "euro" card games out there. I like it as a filler or last game of the night. Your wife would play this.

All of them have no player elimination and play in under an hour.

Total = $41.09 - sorry I'm over by $1.09 :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitford
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lots of good suggestions here...some that I'd been considering (Bohnanza, Pick Picknic, Thurn and Taxis, Saboteur) and some that I wasn't even aware of (O Zoo Le Mio, China). I've considered Through the Desert, but I worry that my kids would mistake the camels for candy. I recently read a nice writeup on To Court the King, which I'm considering, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I didn't drive all the way down here to play a peace game
United States
Mission Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ivanhoe $16.88

Ticket to Ride $26.00

Both play 2 to 5; wife- & kid-friendly; not too long; all players stay in until the end; unlike what you have. You would probably like San Juan also, but might be a little much for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.